1. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    yeah, just the knuckle pin connecting the "conrod" to the piston. It spun freely in the piston, but was solid in the rod. It rotated freely, so I assumed it would function alright. Bearings were indexed with their journals into the rods, and torqued to spec onto the crankshaft.

It is frustrating, but every bit of progress is progress none the less, so I shall take it. Cheers for all the tips Liguidhandwash

2. Justin Danger

Truck:
    While I have Betsy up on jacks, and not running, I decided to finally get around to replacing the spider bearings on my driveshaft. I have had the bearings sitting in a box since my first truck, and now have the time and inspiration to install em.

3. Justin Danger

Truck:

Is that my rattle????

4. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
  5. Justin Danger

Truck:
    ah, yes. I have pored over those pages quite a bit. Super helpful info.

6. Justin Danger

Truck:
    It has been a while, but I think I am narrowing it down!!

I tried to start the engine the other day just to listen to it again, but the was not cranking the engine. It was spinning up real fast, and I could hear the solenoid firing. I had it tested, and it looked fine to the very inexperienced help I got at my local parts store. I re-installed it and no luck, so I got a new one, as well as a new battery. Now the starter starts the engine, but I don't think it disengages itself. It makes a terrible whirring sound, and feels like it is spinning with the engine. All of this, along with the knocking sound from the bottom end has lead me to an bad flex-plate. I really should have taken the engine and transmission out as a whole. I suspect that trying to mate the engine to the trans while it was still in there may have gone a little awry.

7. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

I am not a pro by any means, but I thought if that fucker mates it mates. Unless you have a disassembled auto and the torque converter isn't seated that seems really unlikely to be a problem.

8. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I've finally had some more time to work on things. I separated the torque converter from the flexplate, and can definitely feel some grinding on the flexplate when I turn the crank. I have to see where the scratches are to see what is rubbing once I take things apart. Hopefully this sunday I can get a hoist to get that engine back out. I went ahead and pulled all of the wires and hoses and radiator and such so that I can pull the engine easily. While I was at it, I started some cleaning out in the battery area for some repaining and rust protection. I also decided to go back to the ol rectangular headlights. I ordered some with halos, and am going with LED bulbs. With the LED headlights, I was also looking into switchback LEDs for a turn signal/corner light mod.

20190820_092524[1].jpg

20190820_092539[1].jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  9. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Well, Betsy made it around the block. No..... Betsy made it to the grocery store and back to get a bottle of champagne because with a new flexplate and a loooong day of work, not only does the engine run, but this little truck MOVES. I would tell you how fast I went, but the one thing that didn't function was my speedometer.
    20190825_115847.jpg
    20190825_190735.jpg

10. Justin Danger

Truck:
    oh yeah, forgot that I had clear corner lights stashed away, they will look real nice with my new headlights. I just have to modify the trim ring that holds the headlights in because it isn't quite the same shape as the lenses. I'm going to hook up the halos to a switch so I can run them only when I want.

11. Justin Danger

Truck:
    New headlights and new corners look nice. I will swap the fog light wiring over to the halos to control them from the column lever, and I will splice in the corners to the turn signal and run amber LEDs in them.

20190826_151603_HDR[1].jpg[1].jpg

12. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Looks good bro, glad you got it running.

13. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    I likey, likey, those headlights, so what was the problem with the engine?

14. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Thanks guys! It sure is a good feeling getting behind that wheel again. Took a 3 mile drive tonight and really opened her up. There were some awkward noises at high speed and RPM I heard that need investigating (possibly transmission?), but boy is this little hot rod fun. Ass-ometer gives it a fair amount of HP gain. The headlights are cool, but definitely need a better alignment done than just shining em at my garage door.

Problem with the first engine was head studs stripped out of the block multiple times. I figured that if I was building up from the block I might as well get some performance in there as well.

15. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Did I miss the part where you stripped out the studs and...replaced the block?

Either way, glad to see her alive.

16. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Some time back in March '18 I noticed the first few studs that stripped out, and I time-serted them. Then Decemberish i noticed a couple more, but was already planning an engine rebuild. Decided to just build an engine instead.

20190829_142811.jpg

I love the Battery holder from bay area locals Chassis Unlimited out of Livermore.

20190829_142837.jpg
    I drove a few miles, so i'm calling 184230 mile 0 for the new engine.

I haven't yet played with it, but i do have the boost proportional retard installed on my ignition.
    20190829_142918.jpg

Perkolator likes this.
  17. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Dunno if I've ever seeon someone go with copper radiator hose before, lol.

I think I only just now realized the 80s 2wd pickups had different grilles than the 4wd pickups :silly:

18. Justin Danger

Truck:
    yeah, 4wd is more of a grid than slats. And depending on what year it was either a one piece or a 3 piece setup on the 4wds.

19. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Waaaaaay before I ever even knew how to drive, I remember seeing an old 30s ford truck that was v8 swapped and had copper coolant and fuel lines. I have loved the look of copper under the hood ever since. a couple years ago when I burst a coolant hose on the side of a mountain I decided it was time to reassess my cooling system. I got a triple core aluminum radiator for a 68 trans am, and went ahead with copper piping to re-route.

20. Justin Danger

Truck:
    So Betsy runs great! well.... betsy runs great over moderately short distances under 45. I'm having some trannie problems though now. I'm not sure if it is a slipping torque converter (that I spilled too much fluid out of during install) or a bad shift solenoid.

symptoms are that if I am going over ~45 to 50 mph the trans slips and makes a bad grinding noise.

Anyone have this before? i can drive most of my normal commuting and such, but if I try to get up to the trails for mountain biking, I get terrible grinding.