1. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    I've got everything back together. She is running smooth, clean and leak free. I just ordered a 1000W pioneer amp, a couple subs, and some new speakers for a nice little sound system upgrade. I've always been a bit a a weight weenie, always trying to cut down on excess weight, but some quality sounding tunes I think is worth the extra weight.

I'm working on a design for the rear shelf to integrate dual subwoofer boxes and some storage for ratchet straps and tools and such.

2. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

I have a wedge speaker box with a mid and tweeter behind the passenger seat. Not really my thing normally, but the previous owner had a 600W amp fully installed and I had the speaker just collecting dust.

It's funny because in my xtracab, with a ton more room, it would eat up valuable space, but in the regular cab I'm in now, the sub is no problem because that space is pretty much useless.

3. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Well, she has been running phenomenally for about a week now. I haven't pushed her very hard, but have been dailying her.
    I also set up a sound system. I installed a 1000W Pioneer amp with 2 8" Pyle subs. After trying a lot of different 4" speakers in the dash, I ended up keeping the stock ones because they out performed any other speaker I have tried. Everything sounds great up to and beyond comfortable loudness levels, so that is wonderful. It also gave me a chance to wrap my back shelf.

these are the speaker boxes and shelf of plywood and MDF:
    20180801_175646[1]sm.jpg
    20180801_175707[1]sm.jpg

And after I wrapped everything:
    20180802_133839[1]sm.jpg

20180802_133754[1]sm.jpg
    All that is left is making some cool lids for the boxes, and thinking of some creative way to run the cables.

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Run the power wire out the floor of the cab and along the frame rail.

5. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Power is already tucked under the carpet on the passenger's side along the door, across under the shelf, and comes up from the underside. It is a big one at 0 gauge, and the ground wire too. Once I am comfortable enough with how the deal is all working out, I will pull the passenger's side seat, and pull up the carpet to tuck the wires. I could go for smaller wires for everything else, but this was the only gauge the hardware store near me had, I may try to find something with less thick insulation.

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Knukonceptz

7. Justin Danger

Truck:
    oh, slick! I'm also most likely getting a more powerful alternator. I dug up some old threads and found some 170 amp direct fit ones.

8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    170 should be plenty

9. CODY DOTSON

CODY DOTSON Newbie

Truck:
    89 PICKUP 2WD
    WHERE CAN I BUY THIS SETUP?

10. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I ended up doing a lot of research into my shock choices for this setup. It is a lot of big name brand parts like Sway-a-Way torsion bars, DJM control arms, and Belltech drop spring in back as well as sway bar upgrades. The tricky part was then finding the right shock to get. I went to a bunch of company websites and downloaded the full product line spec sheets, and compared the compresion lenths/travel as well as the mounts and bushings that they came with to find the right suspension setup for my ride height. A lot of the information on what shock lengths and such you need are available on some old posts in these forums.

if you are wondering where to "get" this setup, I ended up snagging part numbers, and surfing for the best prices I could find. You can probably get everything from something like CARID or Amazon, but they don't necessarily have the best prices.

HAHA, I can't believe how dusty her undercarriage was in that picture, the truck has come a long way, but I have kept that same suspension setup.

11. Justin Danger

Truck:
    .....Bead roller in the mail, updates on door panels and center console to come MUAHAHAHA

I've been making a lot of cardboard mock ups for my center console. I need to get the shifter bezel cutout right, install my inverter into it, and relocate all of my various switches into one switch panel on it. The shifter shouldn't be too bad, as long as the cutout is the right size, I can remount where the shifter sits. The inverter has a removable faceplate for the outlets, so I could put that in the back of the console for usb and outlet power access. As for the switch panel, I am going manual window crank on the driver's side with my new door panels, so I will have one window switch, one for the electric locks, one for the E-fans, one for the ECT, one for the O/D, and one for something else that I really have't been able to remember for a couple days but have written down somewhere.

For the door panels, I hope to do some creative beading like a diamond pattern on the lower half. I have seen some people convert to a more hot rod door handle, but hose look cable actuating, so I want to do some more research into how to use those. I have seen a lot of people rivet the door panels on, but because I don't know when I might need to take them off again, I want to use threaded insert in the door to hold the panels on.

12. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I have been experimenting with etching metals using acid and electricity to some custom interior work, and for my first attempt I decided to make a keychain.

I double printed using a lazer printer, you can see the image on the left is darker than the single prints on the right (also very important to not only print a negative image, but a mirrored image as well): 20180826_231812.jpg

I then put the paper (toner side down) onto a small piece of aluminum, and heated it with an iron for 10ish minutes: 20180826_232218.jpg
    Once the toner was transferred, I removed the paper with some water and light scrubbing. with the paper gone, aluminum showed bare, stenciled by the toner. I then was able to use a vinegar and salt solution saturated into the positive side of a pair of 9v batteries grounded to the piece itself to etch: 20180826_233436.jpg
    After a while etching, then scrubbing the toner off, and polishing up ;i had a nice etch: 20180826_234703.jpg

an excellent addition to Betsy's keys 20180826_231045.jpg

There was a lot more that I learned than I posted here, please feel free to ask me more if you are interested.

13. Justin Danger

Truck:
    prepping tailgate for new paint, then doing the hood. With the tailgate, i'm plannin on replacing that interior panel with a custom one out of aluminum as with the inside bedwalls. Then moving on the the front fenders, which I may go to clear corners with. For the doors, I'll paint em after I get the new door cards and center console set up. with the bed, there is some rust repair and prevention to do, then new bedliner, and repainting. Lastly will be the cab, which I may do away with the two tone job on, and just go straight white.

I don't expect this to go fast, I was fast with my last paint job, and that is why I am redoing it. This time I want to do it right si that I won't be doing it again

14. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Just having some fun getting used to the bead roller, and this is what I turned out:

AlDoorPanel1sm.jpg

AlDoorPanel2sm.jpg

It needs some polishing, but I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. I am about elbows deep in wiring to relocate the switches from the door. I've gone back to manual for the driver's side, and will just have one switch in the center console for the passenger's side window. I'll have a switch in the console for the locks too, as well as switches to control my fans, the ECT, and O/D.

15. Justin Danger

Truck:
    well, a lot of progress and projects going on right now. I was able to install a chrome tailgate handle:
    20181003_135419.jpg
    I have also cut an aluminum panel to replace the steel one inside the tailgate, and will do some sort of bead rolling on it to stiffen it up.

I have put a lot of work into my new center console, and am pretty happy with the way it turned out. After rerouting a bunch of wiring to the center, I began constructing. I started with just plywood, sheet aluminum, and some duct tape:
    20180917_134624_HDR.jpg
    20180917_134642_HDR.jpg

That gave me a good enough idea to move onto MDF with the final design.
    20181006_085546.jpg

It worked, so i wrapped it in vinyl:
    20181008_162053.jpg
    20181008_162058.jpg

Because I relocated the window switch to the center console, I had to put a patch in the door panel where the control box used to be, and it looks pretty clean.

20181008_162139.jpg

My horn button broke a little tab off, and just falls out now. I am trying to get a new one 3d printed so that I don't have to stare at that spring sticking out at me on the steering wheel.

I am still working on a good door panel design using both the vinyl tuck and roll upholstery and bead rolled aluminum sheeting, but i like the design i have going on on the driver's side door.

20181008_162211.jpg
    I am also working on some sort of mount for a couple gauges coming out of the dash pad, hopefully fitting 2 gauges and still retaining one of those middle vents.

16. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I'm thinking more and more that instead of making new places for gauges that I should just go ahead and fabricate a new gauge cluster. For most of the gauges I know what to do, but the one that stumps me is the speedometer. I've got an A340, but am unsure of whether it is electronically controlled speedometer or mechanical. It is an RTE truck, so it has the ECT, which leads me to believe that it should be electronic, but there is definitely a cable going to the back of my speedometer. has anyone installed an aftermarket speedometer? What was involved? most of the threads I find lead to nowhere and are about switching to SR5 gauges and such.

I have fully removed the dash to clean and repaint. I also realized that there is sooooo many years of gunk on everything behind the dash to vacuum up. While it is out, I am tracing a lot of wiring and routing things. I have found some funky bits, so don't be surprised if I post a "what is this connector for" thread soon. I have also pulled all of the vent/heat pipes to clean and put new foam tape at the joints.

When I switched to the cable driven shifter, I was able to unload the old ssifter. Unfortunately, now I don't remember which wires do what on the O/D switch. I only remember there being 2 wires going to the switch, and both of them blue. The wires that lead to the connector to where I removed the shifter from has 4 wires, and none of them blue. Has anyone out there rewired their O/D switch before?

thanks for any help!

17. Justin Danger

Truck:
    So I wired up a momentary switch for the starter, now it is like a push button start scenario. a bit odd, but no more starter issues.

Took a cruise up to Point Reyes for a camping trip and shredded my V belt on the way home. Charge light came on, and without my water pump running, my thermo shot up above 250 for about 20 minutes while I made my way to an autozone.

20181101_112140.jpg

jetas likes this.
  18. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    That had to have been a fun ride lol

19. Justin Danger

Truck:
    oh, there was some panic while frantically driving through San Bruno trying to find a place to just park and cool off relatively close to an Autozone. Other than that, it was quite a gorgeous drive. Up and down Mt. Tamalpias, then hitting the coast. Just the kind of curves that are worth pushing through for a real fun time.

20. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Well, it looks like I will have some fun ahead of me in this coming winter season. I have talked to a few engine builders in the past couple weeks, and am going ahead with a "new" engine. I just received my head/cam/rocker assembly with a custom ground cam and exhaust ports for my use and manifold setup. It was bought from DOA racing, and looks dang snazzy. The next item in the mail on it's way to me is a set of H-beam rods from 22RE Performance. Jim over there at 22REP is amazing, and I am super happy to be putting these rods in my little truck. Lastly is a new block bored .040" over with matching forged pistons and bored for turbo oil intake and drain lines with all new freeze plugs. The block is from LCE, and I only expect the best form them. The rest of the intake and exhaust/turbo I have and will once again clean and polish before installing.

I am just finishing building up a custom Bicycle, am in the middle of a little Teak cabinet build, and when those are done, it is ENGINE TIME!

jetas likes this.