Battery clamp

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by 69z22, Sep 16, 2010.

1. 69z22

69z22 Newbie

I purchased a new battery, and the battery clamp doesn't clamp down tight, because the battery is not as tall as the old. Is there a battery clamp replacement that can be used for todays shorter batteries?

'89 Toyota 4WD 22RE

2. DROPT

DROPT Addict

I ran into the same problem, i made some relief cuts on the stock and made two bends, and welded it up. works fine, oh and i had to drill a new hole closer to the windshield washer tank.

You could either use bungies, make a custom battery strap, remove or relocate the washer tank, and last but not least get a battery with a better fit. i would have used bungies on mine but they wouldnt pass me on the safety inspection with bungies.

3. 69z22

69z22 Newbie

I'm in the wrong forum, I should have posted in the '89 section, sorry. I should have taken the battery back and asked for a taller one. I bought it a year ago. This truck has been sitting for a while, and I gave it to my 17 year old son. It only has 84k miles on it.

Thanks

4. DROPT

DROPT Addict

yea i assumed you were talking about your 89, mines an 89 too i had the exact same problem

5. IBeSeeN

IBeSeeN Addict

Truck:
    89 Toyota
    yeah... i need to fab up a battery box for mine im guilty of using a bungee lol if it weren't for bailing wire and duck tape i would not have a drivable truck

6. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    I just bought the biggest battery that fit my truck.. Ive never ran any type of strap or tie down on mine...

7. powertech

powertech Enthusiast

Truck:
    1970 hilux
    put a piece of scrap wood under the battery