Autocross beater

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by White Trash, Sep 30, 2013.

1. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    I worked with a guy that loaded his trunk with bricks so he could see if he liked the back dropped on his car. He left them in for a couple weeks bouncing off the bumpstops the whole time. :lol:

2. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Shocks and one piece carb adapter showed up today so I got my ass to work and put it all together. :D

The adapter is a bit taller than the two piece so I had to raise the factory throttle bracket to match but that was the extent of the drama when hooking it all up. I'll get to leaning the jets out soon but for now she runs and oh boy I'm liking the throttle response. :D

The shocks went in just as expected, no big deal there and the ride is nice and tight now. Not all floppy as it was before. Now if my one ton torsion bars and front sway bar ever show up I'll really be in business.

3. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    The 38 came with an assortment of idle jets which were spot on already but the secondaries were a bit too big so while the bottom end was fantastic the high speed was a bit soft feeling. Now it's about perfect I think. :D It's getting cooler around here quickly so I'll have to get the choke hooked up before too long.

Headed to put on a panhard tomorrow since I won't have time before next weekends auto x event. I can hardly wait to have all the parts on and dialed in, the truck is already an absolute blast to beat on. :D

4. NashMan

NashMan Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 2wd
    why do you need a panhard bar
    ?????

it's not a 3 link

5. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    The axle shifts side to side about 1/2" when I take a hard corner. I cut the lip off the bed sides to keep the tires from making contact but I'd still like to get rid of the side shifting so the axle is held with more control.

6. NashMan

NashMan Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 2wd
    You better run hime joint's on both ends so the spring's can grow and re-track properly

you are one of them mono leaf guys ya should just buy a set of proper leafs link mine

7. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Panhards on leafs are pretty common. Ford uses them on all the older F250-F350's. It just helps the suspension feel more planted.

8. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    I don't like the mono leaf. It hasn't done anything I don't like or that makes it spooky but I still don't trust it. I don't have the hop issues since I didn't flip the overload over but I did spin it around so the long end goes to the front like a traction bar. It actually works pretty well now that I have such stiffly valved shocks on there.

I am swapping to a set of 4x4 leafs once I order the urethane bushings for them. They have a bit less arch and the forward eye has the spring coming into it at the middle like belltech leafs do so it'll lower it a bit more due to that. The second leaf is also a military wrap to help support the main better. I'll run them as a 2 leaf with the spun around overload like I have now. They should be tits. :D

The panhard will definitely help keep it planted in the corners since it won't allow for what basically amounts to side wrapping of the springs. It's the last thing I want to have done before next weekend. I'd like to have the 1 ton torsions and front sway bar and all the front end urethane bushings in place but the torsions and sway bar won't be here till monday and the hell if I'll have time during the week.

9. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    1 ton torsion bars and matching sway bar showed up today. Need to order bushings tomorrow, I should have done it last week but it completely slipped my mind. :duh:

10. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Remembered vatozone had bushings in stock so I stopped by after work and grabbed them. 1" fit the bar perfectly and I picked up the shortest set sway bar links they had in stock which were still about 2 1/2" too long. I ended up taking the spacer pipe out completely and running the bushings & washers back to back which was the perfect length.

So I took it for a drive with the 1 ton parts installed and I must say HOLYFAWKINGSHIATILOVEIT! :headbang: The combination of the larger bars spring rate matches the shocks perfectly. With the old bars the front was slightly spongy but now that is gone. I wasn't sure the added 2mm of sway bar diameter would make much difference but everything is much tighter now. Now sure if it's the thicker bar or the urethane bushings but daddy like. :D

I'm looking forward to running auto x this weekend more than every now, this is going to be a riot!

11. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    Glad you got your parts and installed them. I know I loved the results. Did you paint or power the parts? Wait till you go through some twisty with an s2000 or something that wouldnt expect you to keep up or pass them. Classic wtf face.

12. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Yup the parts showed up Monday as scheduled thanks!

As much fun as it is now I can only imagine how much better it'll be with a few more key parts. :D

13. NashMan

NashMan Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 2wd
    I plan to get rid of the stock leafs mounts since they float in rubber you should do the same if yours are the same as mine

Silver Bomber likes this.
  14. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Yea the rubber isolators are still there. Once I put the fuel cell in I'll have room for a proper traction bar which will negate the rubber. :D

15. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    I got 8 runs in today. My wife toughed out being awake for 30+ hours and got video of the first 4 runs before coming home to take a nap.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/z_Gum_gdJM8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sxZKKDneTkE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ebszqjPCjnM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Followed up by the 4th run where I got a bit happy and looped it out. I figured fuggit as long as I'm looped may as well make it a show. :lol:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Yitbc-3mPqk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wish the exhaust in the first of all the videos was my truck but it was a S2000 that I was consistently a second behind each run.

8 more runs coming tomorrow, WOOT! :D

16. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    We did 7 runs today and I have video of 5. Luckily my wife didn't get there in time to shoot the first 2 runs. They were an epic clusterfawk for me. :lol: For whatever reason I couldn't seem to figure out the course layout today. The first video is of my 3rd run with one of the main guys riding with me to make sure I followed the course from there on out. No problem, I didn't have a hiccup after more or less being shamed since I missed 2 gates the first run and a whopping 6 gates the second. :ROFL: My nephew got a hold of me last night asking what time to come watch. I told him if he was going to come out to bring his helmet and drive my junk. He had a blast but his fastest time was still slower than my slowest. :lol:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FASO9_TkOO0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AfB6QUHYLAE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3kdxrA7JtaE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/P3LGBrH0VxI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. NashMan

NashMan Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 2wd
    Looks fun

18. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    I haven't had time to do anything to the truck in months. My license plates came in the other day though! :D

[​IMG]

Just bought my wife an '05 scion xb last night so I get my 84 x cab back. I'll now be able to tear into the silver truck deeper since it won't be my DD.

19. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    My order from Engnbldr came in last week and my LCE order came in today so I headed to my brothers and got to work. :D

[​IMG]

Turns out I have a small cam in the truck too, it's a schneider 250-60f which is just a nice midrange cam. I'll retard it a few degrees to move the torque curve a bit higher into the rpm band. There is a metal backed timing kit sitting on the timing cover box but I ham fisted the picture taking. :lol:

20. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Parts are in and the truck is running better than it ever has. The valves are a bit loose so it's ticking a bit but I'll take care of that once I pull the valve cover to adjust the cam timing. I need to make a cam stop before I can get to that. I did notice that I'm running a bit on the lean side at cruise due to the off white crust in the cylinders. Figures since I jetted the carb leaner awhile back and I didn't have the jets I wanted but I had some a bit smaller.