AssYriaNrocKer's 94 SingleCab Build Thread

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by AssYriaNrocKer, Nov 20, 2012.

1. AssYriaNrocKer

AssYriaNrocKer Enthusiast

Truck:
    1994 PU
  2. AssYriaNrocKer

Truck:
    1994 PU
    -Double post-

:looney:

-RONI-
    :headbang:

3. The Jewish Guy

The Jewish Guy Veteran

Looks better tucked inside the fender !

4. AssYriaNrocKer

Truck:
    1994 PU
    Purchased an SR5 cluster a while back from a member here on TM and just yesterday I finally got around to installing it. So nice to have a tach now!! It's a fairly simple swap. Install pressure sender....install wire for tach (my truck was not wired for a tach but apparently some are)....install cluster....calibrate cluster...make sure all bulbs are in working order and done!

For anyone looking for info. on how to do the install here is a couple links to the threads I used. Also had a little help from cinNAMmon.

http://www.toyotaminis.com/forum/interior-electronics-42/89-95-factory-cluster-tach-install-13664/

SR5 Gauge Cluster Swap - How-to, with pics! - YotaTech Forums

SR5 cluster swap. - TTORA Forum

Some pics

BEFORE
    [​IMG]

The SR5 cluster
    [​IMG]

The whole lower part of the dash needs to be removed to get to the cluster....so annoying...
    [​IMG]

Red wire is for the tach...I will leave it like that for now but ill have it protected with something and looking a little cleaner later.
    [​IMG]

All done and looking good. Easy stuff
    [​IMG]

-RONI-

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  5. Kahuna

Kahuna Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 single cab
    I would love to do this mod...Looks great Roni!!!!

6. AssYriaNrocKer

Truck:
    1994 PU
    Kahuna- thanks bro. Its not that hard or expensive. Sr5 cluster are not too difficult to find in junk yards. Plenty of 400k 22res and 3.0s with blown head gaskets lol this weekend is half off at pick n pull. Dnt forget to pull the pressure sender to!

-RONI-

7. Kahuna

Kahuna Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 single cab
    Thanks roni....just may have to go to pick and pull saturday

8. AssYriaNrocKer

Truck:
    1994 PU
    No problem man....come to think of it you just might see me there lol I may or may not go....it gets pretty crowded on those half off days... last time I got a transmission with transfer case for my 4runner for 75$!

Got a pic of the cluster lights....the smaller gauge lights were yellow not green so I ghetto rigged one of the bigger green Toyota "condoms" on there to make them green. Unfortunetly I don't know how well the ghetto condom idea worked because it's still too light outside to tell but anyway here is a pic of the cluster lights before I changed the yellow-ish small gauge lights.
    [​IMG]

hhmmm looks kinda green in the pic... :confused:

I'll post another pic later to see the diff. If it doesn't look good I can remove the green condom things and deal with it until I get properly sized green condom things for the smaller bulbs.

-RONI-

9. The Jewish Guy

The Jewish Guy Veteran

Unfortunately the coin/cup holder piece doesn't quite fit right on a Mini... it fits better on a 4Runner. Again i reached the point of no return so i have to use it.
    You can see the gap on here:
    [​IMG]

Well here is the finished product... if i had known that the fitment would not be flush on the mini i would not have done it... you live and learn
    [​IMG]

I see now my mistake... I should have removed the dash face panel first and have it installed from the inside... like this it would sit flush behind the dash face panel and there wouldn't be a need to grind away at the dash panel cutout... i feel really dumb now for not having looked at your photo a lot closer... i guess i will need a replacement panel.

10. AssYriaNrocKer

Truck:
    1994 PU
    Shave off the rear end of the cup holder... trim the front face of the cup holder then install it before the dash piece....i know ur still waiting on the exhaust piece....im currently in the process off a big time limited project on the 4runner so i do apologize. But you will get it for sure man. The cup holder should wrk exactly as mine does mini-4runner interior is exactly the same trust me ive taken both apart million times.

-RONI-

11. The Jewish Guy

The Jewish Guy Veteran

I am not sure what part on the front face of the cup holder i would trim... maybe you can use one of these pics and put some arrows.
    thanks in advance...
    Zachariah

12. AssYriaNrocKer

Truck:
    1994 PU
    Here is a link to the page on my 4Runner build that has a picture of how i trimmed the back of the cup holder. I forgot to snap a pic of the face but basiclly u trim the lip with the holes in it. I made sure the mounting screw went the the center to not disturb the droors sliding in n out.

AssYriaNrocKer's 1995 4Runner Build-up Thread - Page 22 - YotaTech Forums

-RONI-

13. The Jewish Guy

The Jewish Guy Veteran

Awesome Roni...thanks for the link... I saw the pics and now I see the error of my ways... I wish I had seen it before butchering the dash panel but Da Roach is hooking me up with another dash panel. Thanks again.

14. AssYriaNrocKer

Truck:
    1994 PU
    So with the gauge cluster installed it was only natural that I swap steering column to sr5 to right!? Not as hard as one might think. Unbolt intermediate shaft, unbolt column, un-clip harness and then do the same thing in reverse. Oh wait there was one part that was a little difficult to figure out....changing lock cylinders....you can't use the whole ignition because of the size difference of the shaft. You turn the key to ACC push the little gold button in and it should slide out. In my case I only had my key so you can only imagine how much fun that was. I paid 20$ for my sr5 steering column at the junkyard on half price day. Very worth it. The wheel is not in the best condition but I can always get a wheel for pretty cheap. For now I will get a cover for it.....as soon as I find one that is just PLAIN black with no grooves, designs or stitching. I found one for the runner at the stealership but no luck this time...unless i wanna run pink? '___'

I have lots of wires because of the stupid alarm but with no alarm it should not look this crazy.
    [​IMG]
    Old on left new on right
    [​IMG]
    New on left old on right
    [​IMG]
    I also figured since I am going to be taking apart my steering shaft might as well give it one of those plastic protectors. Pulled it at the yard...very easy install...remove shaft...slide on...install shaft. It not only preotects it but also makes the bay look just that much cleaner IMHO.
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]
    Here is a crappy shot of the end result
    [​IMG]
    I also grabbed the lower dash piece that goes under the steering wheel. The sr5 version has a vent. I obviuosly grabbed the duct work that goes with it as well. Forgot to take a pic but here is the old one.....Anyone want it??
    [​IMG]

Next on the agenda was installing the sr5 lighted ashtray and cig. lighter. This was a pain in the ass....I'm no wiring guru...not even close. I did my best and am happy with the result. I tapped into the power and ground going to the clock and used it for the lighter and ashtray. I must have done something right because it works.lol at first I tapped into the dome light relay but then when I would close my door the dome would turn on and then vise versa. Everything seems to be working with the current setup so I'm happy. Also I forgot to mention there is a small light by the key hole on the sr5 steering column that only turns on when the door is open. Of course our tucks are not wired for this so that also had to get wired. I used the power from my fog light setup and the ground from the door switch that turns on the dome. That way it only turns on when the door opens...so you can find the key whole. I made it LED to match the dome light. The only sr5 lights left to wire up is the glove box light. I already have the pieces to install it....maybe tomorrow.

PICS

This little sr5 light project really hurt my head...look at all the damn wires....
    [​IMG]
    Heres a crappy pic of the cluster all green.
    [​IMG]
    cig. lighter out....ok i suck at night time pics so what......
    [​IMG]
    Cig. lighter in
    [​IMG]

With all that done...I decided to do something that not just me...but maybe my TRUCK would appreciate...OIL CHANGE! For the first time ever Iv'e decided to spend the extra dollar and get a Toyota oil filter. I only use Toyota air filters...figured I might as well try the oil filter to. Grabbed it while in there looking for the black wheel cover. It def. fits on more snug then any other filter I've used. It truly is designed for a Toyota...you can tell as soon as you screw it on.
    [​IMG]

So that's what I've been up to...on THIS truck.....Hopefully tomorrow I can get the glove compartment light going without issue as well. I leave you with a couple pics I took with my buddys mini.

MIGHT be selling it pretty soon. 2" Bell Tech drop spindles, 2"? blocks, sr5 steering column, and sr5 seats that I drool over every time I see them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-RONI-

15. The Jewish Guy

The Jewish Guy Veteran

What are the advantages of having an SR5 steering column ?

Also since you no longer have use for the old column... i need the plastic surround that goes around the steering column ... how much you want for it ?

[​IMG]

16. AssYriaNrocKer

Truck:
    1994 PU
    Cruise control (needs more parts to wrk)...tilt...intermittent wipers...ignition light

Well if the column doesnt sell by the time i ship your exhaust ill just include that.

-RONI-

17. AssYriaNrocKer

Truck:
    1994 PU
    Do u need the lower dash piece as well? The one under the steering column pictured above.

-RONI-

18. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Standard cab 22re 5 spd
    You have the plastic upper and lower cteering column cover in grey you wanna sell? Mine is pretty much rotted by the UV...

19. The Jewish Guy

The Jewish Guy Veteran

I don't need the lower dash piece under the steering column,, with a little heat i was able to shape the twisted one back into its original place.

20. The Jewish Guy

The Jewish Guy Veteran

What are the advantages of keeping the Resonator in the truck ?

I saw some guys take them off ..

What are the pros and cons to the resonator.

Is this the Resonator ?

[​IMG]