another lowering ?

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by nboost, Aug 16, 2008.

1. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1987 Toyota 2wd JT4RN50 Airbagged custom
    Hey man, its totally safe! I had to remove mine to install the notch, and when I cut it in half and re-attached it ( welded it all the way around ) it was hella strong, I could stand on it and bounce. I about 150 and it moved the truck not the bar. If your still uncomfortable, gusset it with a simple triangle shaped peice on the top of the bar and itll increase its strength alote. But, for me it was good to go, plus my cab crossmember is sliced in half ( 6 inch chunk outta it ) and no problems at all . . .

2. OGtoy

OGtoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    93 std cab 22re
    CAN YOU EXPLAIN THIS? my truck has 17's and i pulled a leaf w/ 3 inch blocks, and i took off the bump stops. and when one person sits back there the axle hits the bed or when i hit turns hard it hits. i know some of it is because there is stock shocks back there but what else can i do to prevent that?

3. OGtoy

OGtoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    93 std cab 22re
    heres my truck....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i wanna figure out how to drop the front about n inch or so more without me whacking the fender wells... (front is only torsions) also i want to eliminate the axle hitting the bed in the back if possible... i recently blew out my stocks in the front for being so low and threw some toxics's love the ride. (still gotta change the back)

any suggestions?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  4. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    how'd your grille get so, Chromey?? I spey dent in front bumper! =D
    other than that, what are the sizes of the wheels and tires on your truck? i'd also like to know if that combonation is accurate to the speedometer!

i'd get drop spindles.

5. OGtoy

OGtoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    93 std cab 22re
    ummm i bought the grill like that from a shop down here... and i got my spare bumper and clear corners on the side... gonna put the bumper, clear corners, LED red/clear tail lights, and the HID's at the same time on...

i got 17" rims with 205/45/17 tires. if i do spindles in the front what do i do about the backkkk?

6. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    The easiest way would be to remove a leaf from the spring pack . . . another way ( not so easy ) put a mild notch in the frame, could/can be as simple as using a section of steel pipe 3" - 4" and having it cut in half ( lengthwise ) to create a ( C ), you wouldnt have to cut out alote and could probably outsourse the work if you have the dough BUT you will have to measure first and check clearances because you can only go so low and then youll start having cab { crossmember clearance issues } { possible gastank clearance issues } { exhaust } { ebrake and line clearances }! Best way to check these is to cycle the rear suspension with the front ( mocked " like youve installed the 2" drop spindles " ) and then measure and measure again { Don't forget that even thou it looks like itll clear, it still has to cycle up and down at that height too } Measure fifty times then cut man, itll save your stress levels later trust me . . .

7. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    very well put. Low you got good guidelines. cant wait til i do these! haha

8. OGtoy

OGtoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    93 std cab 22re
    as you can see in the picture and the description i DID PULL A LEAF! i am running only one leaf and the over load!!!

so i guess for now put the spindles in the front and work on some kind of small c notch in the back so the bed stops whacking the axle... lol

9. Rukku

Rukku Newbie

Truck:
    90 dual cab
    wow i got no idea whats really goin on here - but nice truck, my front looks like that too - especially with the plain corner lights lol, although ive got a big towball dent in my lower apron cos of some (insert very not nice words here)

do you really need to c-notch the frame for simple static drops? cos i mean DAMN thats gotta make it pretty low

do you have legal regulations based on the lowness of a ride?

10. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    IN the state of Montana - I believe the only regulation is to at least have headlights & or taillights 14" off ground, other than that NOTHING : ) . . . No smog certification : ) . . .

11. OGtoy

OGtoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    93 std cab 22re
    here in hawaii its pretty GAY... we have SAFETY CHECK and RECONSTRUCTION permits

you need safety every year and you cant get it without recon. RECON is where any modification done to your vehicle like suspension work, rims bigger than 1" above stock... HID's are illegal, no bumper is illegal... and the list goes on.. so in other words my truck is REALLY illegal... haha but its my daily driver! yaa its gay....

but all the ballaazzz and siccckkk rides never get recon! recon is for fagggssss

12. DietoRemain

DietoRemain Member

Yeah i thought we had it bad here in cali you guys down there have the stupidest laws. haha.

13. OGtoy

OGtoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    93 std cab 22re

yaa true... the only thing we got better than cali is SMOG! we can do motor swaps of all kind with turbos and superchargers with no problem.

14. CajunTaco

CajunTaco Enthusiast

Truck:
    92 Reg Cab
    OG- If you're not notched, you're hitting the frame. Once you notch it you'll be hitting the gas tank crossmember with the axle third member. Thats where I am right now. Mine is main leaf plus flipped overload and 3" blocks. I'm about to cut the tank crossmember and go to 4" blocks on 18's. I'm also going to 4x4 fenders and tubbing the front. I'll be bagged by the end of the year, but for now I want to ride low.

Legal **** here in Louisiana is a light height, like 14", but you also have to maintain 4" ground clearance. I have 3 right now.

15. F1000X

F1000X Member

What kind of rims are those. I gotta know. Great ride by the way. Are toxic shocks stiffer than stock? I'm looking for the stiffest shocks available.

16. planemos

planemos Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 2wd Xtra-Cab,98 2wd Xtra-Cab, 1988 Toyota Supra turbo
    I'd say the stiffest shocks available are '69 Camaro KYB gas-a-just. If you get the V8 shocks they are incredible. I can barely compress them when i take them out of the box and lean on them!

17. OJ's DNA

OJ's DNA Member

Damn, sorry to thread jack on my first post but on ebay I saw a pair of 3" drop leaf springs for around 130.00 or so, my question is why would you buy the leaf springs when a 35.00 will buy you a 3" block/u-bolt set-up to drop the rear? Do the drop leaf springs offer a 'cleaner' drop? Is the ride quality better? Is it recommended to do both the leaf springs and block/U-bolt drop?

Thanks - OJ

18. planemos

planemos Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 2wd Xtra-Cab,98 2wd Xtra-Cab, 1988 Toyota Supra turbo
    drop and gimme 50

I'd say it's cleaner! You get what you pay for.(hence the saying: "Just bag it!" The new springs would not have the axle wrap associated with blocks. Myself, I am de-arching the stock springs for a 5" drop. I'm bringing them to the spring shop tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.
    BTW Did anyone figure out if drop spindles and drop arms work in unison?

19. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    they do work, and how much is it to have your springs done ? I can get brand new ones made for like 150 whatever size drop I want here in tampa.

20. F1000X

F1000X Member

Do these fit an 89-95 Pickup?