And It All Starts With a Toy...

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by DugsulOrDie, Feb 6, 2012.

1. 93_Toy_Mini

93_Toy_Mini Addict

Truck:
    93 Reg Cab Pickup
    That's awesome. Did you have to roll the fenders or was there enough clearance?

2. DugsulOrDie

DugsulOrDie Member

Truck:
    '92 SingleCab
    I had to roll the rears and roll & pull little bit the front fenders

3. DugsulOrDie

DugsulOrDie Member

Truck:
    '92 SingleCab
    Finally done with the build for Hellaflush. I put together a little short teaser of my truck for everyone to watch. Click here to watch

4. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    Nice work on your truck. Great teaser clip.

5. toytruk

toytruk Enthusiast

Truck:
    92 xcab
    wow man im loving this truck... so nice... i ordered all my parts for my drop because of u lol....

6. Under Construction '93

Under Construction '93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Std Pickup
    Very clean, very nice truck. 1st time I looked at this thread. Keep up the good work.:waytogo:

7. DugsulOrDie

DugsulOrDie Member

Truck:
    '92 SingleCab
    Damn haha, thanks :waytogo: Your truck is pretty animal too. I wanna do a swap so bad but just don't have the time and patience

8. TheLoLux

TheLoLux Toyotaholic

Truck:
    70 LoLux 92 CYN YOTA 84ish 4runner
    Truck is sweet keep it up.

9. DugsulOrDie

DugsulOrDie Member

Truck:
    '92 SingleCab
    It's seems like forever since I've last logged on this forum (February 2013 to be exact), so I feel it is right to update everyone with what had happened to the truck since the last update in 2012.

After my truck's debut at Hellaflush 2012, I felt the need to change things up a bit and go out of the norm in the Oahu truck scene (not like I already did with the meisters). I picked up a set of 5Ziegen FN01s from a friend of mine to use as new "beater/daily" rims since Work Wheels, at the time, decided to discontinue the Work Meister S1 from sizes 16" to 18" making the rims sort of a rarity.

When I said I went out of the norm, I meant it. I repainted the rims from Championship White to some sort of bright orange giving the rims a "pop" especially on a white truck.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The inspiration behind this colorway is from some of the drifters from Japan (then again, my theme is JDM inspired anyway) where they would paint their rims in odd, but interesting colors. I could of went more crazy and painted the rims highlighter yellow or the now trendy/hipster Tiffany blue but eh, Halloween was a month away so it seemed right.
    You can see more pictures from my mini 2-part feature on SPhoto Hawaii's blogPart II

That look didn't last too long sadly. Come to find out, one of the rims had a hair-line fracture from the original owner (not my friend) and what made things worse was my clutch blew out. I made the decision that I had to let these go to pay off the parts for the clutch job.

With the money from the rims, I went and picked up a Centerforce stage 2 clutch kit and a 9lb flywheel from LC Engineering. I sent out the trans to be inspected and cleaned out while the parts were being shipped. Once I got everything back I proceeded to re-install all the parts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's pretty much what happened in the rest of 2012. Now, for 2013. I've been hanging out with a new crowd of car enthusiasts since I had the orange rims. We started calling ourselves "Hawaii By Night/The Night Staff" due to our nightly outings which, most of the time, lasted till the next day. We were out there doing cannonball runs on the weekly Friday & Saturday night cruises, drag racing down in the industrial areas, and sliding up in the local touge and drift spots. The lightened flywheel was real great with throttle response but the amount of work to do just to get the rear end out was monumental. I needed more power. Again, I went to LC Engineering and picked up their Big Bore Throttle Body, Pro Cam, K&N air filter adapter kit, and did a little tune up also. Minor bolt-ons like these made a huge difference. Sadly, I do not have any pictures of this part of the build.

Anyways, after that was taken care of, I figured new year, new look. To take care of that I completely re-did the whole front end and partially the rear. I kept the grille on the truck because hey, it's just a cool looking grille. I did however swapped out the fenders for 4x4 fenders, found the matching 1-step corner lights, and acquired a new 1994 OEM 4-Runner bumper with a matching valance with clear turn signals. I took my truck over to George over at Flowproz in Honolulu to redo my exhaust. I decided to delete the catalytic converter and opted for a 2 1/4" straight pipe to my existing Flowmaster Super 44, and for the exhaust tip, dual 2 1/4" stacks coming out the driver side or as it is more formerly known as the "bosozoku exhaust". One type of it anyway.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    At first, I had a lot of mixed reviews on the exhaust tips and a lot of hassle from law enforcement but in the end, everyone started to love it. I'd get comments like "is that even legal?" or "You are one crazy guy, I have never seen anyone with that exhaust before!" all while on the road and even when parked. I started getting known as the "Truck with Meisters", now that I did that exhaust I've been getting known as "The truck with the big ass exhaust!"

Shortly after, I began to get bored with the truck because I've done pretty much all I can do to the truck. My brother picked up 17" Work Miester S1 in white from a friend but couldn't fit them so we traded rims. It was a cool look for a bit, but then I got over it. I felt the need for something "new & different". Shortly after tax return season, I made some new friends in the trucking scene. One of them just so happened recently completed a step-notch and airbag setup on his Isuzu. We talked about his setup over a few beers and decided that this was the next step to take for my truck.

I picked up an 8" step notch kit from Neck Breaker Customs, dual Viair 480 compressors, Slam Specialties RE-7 bags, Xtreme 250 valves, and msc. parts from Air Bag It.
    [​IMG]

I opted for air shocks in the rear instead of a traditional bag-over-axle set up because I liked the fitment in the rear with the new rims and didn't want to sacrifice that for a more laid out look. In my opinion, it was the right choice.

Here is some photos from my other mini feature over at Germz Photo of the outcome and how the truck sits today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So that concludes my build thread, for now anyway. I'm trying to make this my last year of working on the truck so I can start up on another project. Gonna attempt to do some motor work and going for a completely different look for this year. Hopefully it'll be done before April time when Fatlace comes back to host Hellaflush again.
    [​IMG]

10. NashMan

NashMan Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 2wd
    not sue on the exhaust pipes but nice over all

11. 93_Toy_Mini

93_Toy_Mini Addict

Truck:
    93 Reg Cab Pickup
    Read through this again. Great build bro, definitely a clean truck.

12. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    I have been looking for that grill. Any leads on where to order 1?

13. DugsulOrDie

DugsulOrDie Member

Truck:
    '92 SingleCab
    I wish I could help but I don't have anything new on this gril. The shop I got it from said the factory was thinking about discontinuing it.

14. NashMan

NashMan Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 2wd
    question why center force they weighs so much compared to others and they are not smooth because of the silly weight desigh. I had one on my old 22re never liked it ?

whats your thought's

ps sell me your wheels hehe

15. twizted1

twizted1 Addict

Truck:
    '89 xcab 2wd
    Those orange wheels on that white truck look soooo bad @ssss!!

16. 93_Toy_Mini

93_Toy_Mini Addict

Truck:
    93 Reg Cab Pickup
    I have been searching for this grille for years and I traced it to AU & NZ... Yeah, tell me about it. Unless you know someone that can send you one from there( which is also not cheap and if you do know someone get me one too), because everywhere that I have found it won't ship to the US. This guy once told me he would try to sell some to guys in the states but it ended at just that. If you look at the Australian eBay site or AU or NZ parts dealers, it's all over the place. If you find one that will ship out here please share it on here.

17. DugsulOrDie

DugsulOrDie Member

Truck:
    '92 SingleCab
    Thats a little disappointing to hear, I guess I have to baby this grill a little more now since its harder to come by. The Australians have that bed like the 84-88 style does which I want also but its impossible because the bed alone would cost me over a grand and I dont even wanna think about shipping. It'd be cool to have since its not something you'd see in the states.

18. DugsulOrDie

DugsulOrDie Member

Truck:
    '92 SingleCab
    The only reason why I got the centerforce was that I got it for a 100 bucks new from a friend at a local parts store here. I dont have any problems with it, feels like stock but has a big bite but thats just how I feel.

19. 93_Toy_Mini

93_Toy_Mini Addict

Truck:
    93 Reg Cab Pickup
    Yeah, that's why I want to get my hands on one. If I ever take a trip there, it will be on my list of things to bring back. Also some 1UZ parts!

20. DugsulOrDie

DugsulOrDie Member

Truck:
    '92 SingleCab
    Good luck getting the truck bed on hand carry haha let alone the grill. I'd keep that girll with me at all times.