acceleration issues

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by chello671, Mar 3, 2016.

1. chello671

chello671 Member

Truck:
    91 Toyota Hilux
    What up guys so i have a 91 toy 4cyl and starting this morning everytime I drive to push the gas to drive it takes a while to hit the speed for each gears it feels like theres a lag when driving, ill push the gas and it wont accelerate to speed it takes a minute idk what it could be can anyone help???? Thanks

2. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    EFI or carb?
    Sounds like fuel or timing.
    Can even be the tps or something electronic.

3. EvoLLove

EvoLLove Member

Truck:
    94 Toyota single cab
    Did you find out what the problem was?

4. chello671

chello671 Member

Truck:
    91 Toyota Hilux
    I kinda fixed the issue alittle but its still kinda there I cleaned the throttle body and replaced the gasket I'm gonna try and clean the intake manifold and see if that does anything I know its not the tps cause its brand new and its not air mass, or timing so I'm hoping this will fix it

5. EvoLLove

EvoLLove Member

Truck:
    94 Toyota single cab
    Lmk cause I adjusted valve lash but it's still lagging in some gears

6. chello671

chello671 Member

Truck:
    91 Toyota Hilux
    I just recently cleaned idle air control valve so it solved the idle surging issue but now my tps isnt reading lol so im wondering if its my ecu what you think?

7. EvoLLove

EvoLLove Member

Truck:
    94 Toyota single cab
    I'm gonna try replacing air flow sensor today let you know how that goes mystery problem

8. chello671

chello671 Member

Truck:
    91 Toyota Hilux
    So i think my ecu is going out lol, and i still havent solved my high idle issue its really puzzling me

9. EvoLLove

EvoLLove Member

Truck:
    94 Toyota single cab
    What makes you think that? I changed my air flow sensor runs better but still has running lag

10. EvoLLove

EvoLLove Member

Truck:
    94 Toyota single cab
    I ran the tank close to empty and dumped two bottles of fuel injection cleaner that seemed to solve my problems for now I'll keep you posted if it keeps lagging after doing this I was able to turn down the IACV

11. 390armstrong

390armstrong Member

Truck:
    90 xcab 3.0 vze
    I had similiar with V6, two things solved the issue, one wire would come out of the MAF clip..it looked normal but was loose....the one that finally got truck running normal and i never looked at it till it crapped on me, ignition control module..n i did everything trying to fix before i found it..i replaced fuel pump, filter,timing and water pump and fuel pressure regulator..try the maf wires when clipped in pull on each one lightly

EvoLLove likes this.
  12. RAS671

RAS671 Member

It's your fuel system prim. Trust me, I had the same issue. When you're taking off, you can't even get it up to speed right? When I diagnosed the engine, found out it was the No. 1 fuel injector not spraying. Ordered a set off of LC and it fixed the problem. Cheaper than purchasing fuel injectors from Napa because theirs is almost $200 a pop. LC's come equalized and bigger w/fuel filter for under $300 if I remember correctly.

Just noticed this post was more than a month ago. Dalai, am not gonna delete. Lol.

13. EvoLLove

EvoLLove Member

Truck:
    94 Toyota single cab
    I don't have problems while taking off its more so after let me try to explain... So I can accelerate pretty good, but after is the problem. Say I'm at any cruising speed if I stomp it the truck should bogg out (this happens even if I down it a gear) any way I have changed fuel filter cap and rotor spark plugs and both temp sensors. But my gauge still doesn't read correct but RAS671 says injector and tried 390armstrong suggestion any ideas?

14. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    EGR? It opens up while cruising...might bog you out on acceleration if its not closing (vacuum leak).

15. chello671

chello671 Member

Truck:
    91 Toyota Hilux
    Wheres the ignition control module? Are you refering to the ignition coil?

16. chello671

chello671 Member

Truck:
    91 Toyota Hilux
    Forreals prim? Idk like my fuel is getting through ill have to check it out again but now like my truck would get to speed but for some reason bro like ill be driving and then when im down shifting my rpms would drop like crazy to the point when i come to a complete stop it would drop to like 500 sometimes even 400 almost like im gonna die out

17. RAS671

RAS671 Member

You idling issue should not really concern your IAC or the screw that sits to the side of the intake manifold (not the by the TB). That's usually to adjust your idle speed when your a/c is on. Unless thats where the issue is, then i would dig in that area.

your RPMS should "drop" when down shifting, unless its dropping after the point of down-shifting. but if it drops while you're at a dead stop then you could check your timing to get your idle up to 700-800 rpm.

When dealing with your TPS, setting the timing and position falters in getting your idle speed up correctly. I had to play back and forth with a good friend of mine between the dizzy and the TPS. If the dizzy was too advanced and my timing mark didn't appear where its supposed to be, I would adjust the TPS by small increments due to its sensitivity and the recheck the dizzy and try to find it's center. Takes a lot of patience to get it where you want to be, but once you found the sweet spot, you should be good. Remember to short circuit your engine by using the diagnostic tool by the fuse box. EFI is 5 degrees and Carbs are 0 degrees.

On your other thread, you said you changed out the TPS, did you calibrate it correctly? TPS for the 90's vary between two different shapes, one is round/oval the other is a box type. Im sure if you picked up and compared to your TB, you would've been smart enough to exchange it for the correct one.

Calibration is tricky, but if you get 2/4 readings, then you should be fine. You don't want to aim for "perfection" but so long as its reading what it is supposed to, then you should be ace.

this is an awesome thread i followed to calibrate my TPS. May sound tricky, which it is, but like i mentioned, so long as your readings are in line, you're golden.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml

good luck prim and keep me posted.