'93 Hilux Build in Miami from head on collision !

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by The Jewish Guy, Apr 19, 2013.

1. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
    I may have answered this before, but I don't see it. I am partial to Fosgate's, but thats just my opinion. I'd advise going somewhere like Quality Auto Sound (Or the stereo retailer nearest you) and listen to them to see which you like the sound of the most. Nowadays the tuning of the box is as important or more-so than the sub that goes into it, so you'll want to make sure the box is right for the speaker and the truck its going into.
    Another thing you might want to look into is something like this:

Rockford Fosgate 10" Box Enclosure Subwoofer Truck Cab Car Trunk Stereo Audio | eBay

I like to make my sub boxes too. But sometimes its nice to just click and order. And it can be cheaper as well.

2. DionTDE

DionTDE Addict

Truck:
    93 single cab 2wd
    I would suggest JBL out of those options. There are so many amazing subwoofers out there that do not get the recognition they deserve.

I am not a fan of Rockford myself and that might be because the way they market their product, it is very misleading.

Kickers also makes a lot of lower end product with a higher price because of the name brand and the shape.

Alpine subwoofers are decent in my opinion but I hate their stereos, they are bland and made cheaply.

3. The Jewish Guy

The Jewish Guy Veteran

I polished the other centerline wheels centercap..

[​IMG]

Here is the green Ryobi stick i used from Lowe's
    [​IMG]

Here is the end result:
    [​IMG]

4. The Jewish Guy

The Jewish Guy Veteran

I installed LED courtesy light bulbs but one of them is bad... pisses me off that one is INOP

[​IMG]

So I had to put the old one back on the left side ... not good and not happy ebay customer !!
    Arrgh !!!

[​IMG]

5. The Jewish Guy

The Jewish Guy Veteran

Yesterday I took apart the Hilux bench seat to install the AMP and also clean and sand the back wall to prep for paint:

Looking for the best place to mount the Kenwood AMP whether on the back wall which would give it clearance and run cooler since there is more free air.

[​IMG]

or Perhaps under the seat.... Not too much room there... hmmmmm
    [​IMG]

Nah... I think this is going to be the best place:
    [​IMG]

Finish running the Bullz Audio Amp Wire Kit.
    [​IMG]

Installed the 4Runner Clock... there was no place to secure it on my Hilux so i trimmed it ... scuffed the mating area and glued it with J&B two part epoxy:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is what i have to clean and prep for paint:
    [​IMG]

Here is the body guy Ernesto applying the YZ Alpine white with White Pearl

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  6. The Jewish Guy

The Jewish Guy Veteran

Now that the back wall has been painted it is time to use the Dynamat Deadening Materilal (Quick Roof from Home Depot $16.85 )
    [​IMG]
    There its all laid out:
    [​IMG]

Mocking up the Alpine Subwoofer box and Kenwood Amp
    300W RMS / 1000 Peak
    [​IMG]

This subwoofer system from Alpine is great fits like a glove...
    [​IMG]

These are the 3/16" coupler nuts, studs and nuts that i picked up from ACE Hardware $ 3.86 will use as Stand offs for the Kenwood AMP.
    [​IMG]

I had the holes predrilled prior to laying the Deadening material:
    Installing with an 8mm driver
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They work really well and enough clearance for cooling:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now to prep the back wall with Keyston Hi Performance spray adhesive for the Charcoal grey carpeting which will also help to keep things neat and add more deadening material.
    [​IMG]

Now to apply the spray adhesive to the backside of carpet:
    [​IMG]

I was careful to mask the top and sides with the blue masking tape to make sure the adhesive didnt get onto the back glass and also have to lay the carpet from the top to bottom.. i used yellow chalk to mark the curves at the ends:
    [​IMG]

I masked the bottle jack cradle:
    [​IMG]

Bolted in the stand offs and found the holes using an awl or ice pick
    [​IMG]

Remounted the AMP and then i will run the wires through some peep holes that i made in the carpeting... attach a leather hole punch to a drill and it will make a perfect round hole.
    [​IMG]

I used some L angles from ACE hardware $1.19 each to secure the Subwoofer box :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. The Jewish Guy

The Jewish Guy Veteran

Here is the AMP wired up nice and neat:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. L3GACY

L3GACY Enthusiast

Truck:
    1993 ExCab
    I really like the clean set up you did with the sub and amp. all wires tucked away so you dont have them laying around and all that. Very solid. Great idea on using those stand offs to keep the amp even cooler. Ill have to look into doing that with mine when i get it all set up. Great looking truck all around man. Keep up the great work

9. The Jewish Guy

The Jewish Guy Veteran

10. The Jewish Guy

The Jewish Guy Veteran

I reupholstered my bench seat from cloth to vinyl

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]

AFTER:
    [​IMG]

Here is the long arduous steps..
    I bought the bench seat perfect fit from GTJ Convertible tops in North Hollywood CA for about $130.00
    Their Hog Ring pliers with 100 hog rings was $13.00
    Shipping was $20.00 which is not bad considering the box weighs about 12 lbs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1st Step
    You will need a set of good dyke pliers and a flat tip or needle nose pliers.
    Study everything and take a pic before you start. Each of these bench seat panels has old coat hanger type rods going through the edges so if you cant get the old ones off make sure you drop by your local dry cleaners and pick some up hangers from them.

I watched a couple of YouTube videos to see how the pros do it... I saved about $150.00 bucks installing the covers myself.

[​IMG]

These rubber stoppers you will not need them any longer unless you are a purist then you just have to have them.
    [​IMG]

The horn rings on here some of them were rusty so they were easy to shear off and others were a bitch to get them off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally got everything taken off and used my dry vac to clean up the loose foam and dirt.
    I also dislodged the seat frame and slide rails by 13mm bolts

[​IMG]

The new seat cover will need two hanger rods going thru the sleeve near the center of the seat so make sure to hog ring these two pieces.. its simple i should have made a video.

Here it is getting the seat all hog ringed tied.. make sure to use the marked center line so you will know how everything comes together... it is very simple to do.. first time it takes about 3 hours and next time i will do it in 1 hour.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For the backrest make sure to remove the old cover carefully because the headrest foam falls apart and you might have to tape it together to keep it in tact.
    I took some carpet material and glued it to the back because i didnt want the foam exposed..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I recommend using a hole puncher from Harbor freight tools.. attach it to your drill and it makes a nice clean round hole for where your seat bolts will go.
    [​IMG]

Here it is installed...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  11. The Jewish Guy

The Jewish Guy Veteran

BAD NEWS !! UPDATE
    After all this work.. it turns out that this cluster i bought on ebay turned out to be bad and it doesnt work. So i had to file a claim with PayPal , ship the item back and get a refund so i will be looking for an SR5 Electronic Speedo and Tach so in the meantime i will have to put my old one back.

12. The Jewish Guy

The Jewish Guy Veteran

The Wheels are Centerline Wheels Scorpions and brand new they run about $230.00 per wheel

I wet sanded the wheels with 1500 grit paper to get the clear coat off and scratches and buffed by hand drill and green paste and look how they turned out

Here are the Before and After pics:

BEFORE

[​IMG]

AFTER

[​IMG]

13. The Jewish Guy

The Jewish Guy Veteran

On Friday just two days before the show I decided to take apart the dash and replace the cluster for an SR5 Cluster...
    The Bench seat that i reupholstered I asked for grey and i got Charcoal grey which is almost close to Black so i all the vinyl pieces including the headliner I had to paint Dark Charcoal Grey.

I started on Friday afternoon just before dusk and retook the work on Saturday at 11 AM after Temple services. I was done at 2:00 AM so I hardly got any sleep for the Toys for Tots car show on Sunday ... grueling all day show in the hot sun.

Here are the pics in order of work performed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I replaced the stock cluster with an SR5 Cluster...
    Installed Blue LED bulbs.. my favorite color is blue.
    [​IMG]

Now to wire up the tach. the feed will be taken near the diagnostic box next to the fuse box in the engine bay:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used a male connector and poked a small hole on the rubber cap cover to keep it in place.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ran the yellow tach signal wire under the fuse box and fed it thru the harness sleeve to keep it nice and neat as it ran by the firewall.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now i cut off a good 10" to run through into the cabin via the firewall.
    [​IMG]

I felt it would be best to connect it directly to the "P" bolt on the back of the cluster instead of tapping into the blue personality plug connector for the simple reason that the #6 position does not match up with the "P" bolt.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well I had to adjust the RPM's so what i did is that i used a separate tachometer so I could dial in the correct ohms setting via the potentiometer on the SR5 Speedo/Tach cluster.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok so i have the correct resistance dialed in on the SR5 Cluster
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now to run the correct Oil Pressure Sending Gauge which i bought on ebay for $13.99 Free Shipping.
    It has a different connector so one of the guys on the forum suggested that i use a female wedge connector so i went with a gold one for better life.
    item# 161145068915
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. KERTWOOD

KERTWOOD Enthusiast

Truck:
    92 Street Truck
    Hey Bud. Everyone that helped from this site, myself included just wanted to say YOUR WELCOME..! It's funny, and don't take me the wrong way ( I'm really a nice guy ) when I'm speaking on behalf of all of us. A little GRATITUDE ( your welcome ) goes a long way in our community ( car builders ). I'm finally glad you got this feat complete.

15. The Jewish Guy

The Jewish Guy Veteran

There is no doubt that i am grateful to this forum and the members that have helped me tremendously in achieving the success that i have had building this '93 Hilux.

I could not have done it without the support of the guys on here that have posted or commented on how to get some of the tasks done.

Thank you... Molto Grazie ... Gracias

It's great to be part of this community...... Be well and Be Blessed