88 drift truck

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Bitter8it, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    What do you guys use for initiating slide, the E-brake? If so, do you just use the under dash one? My '73 is getting a 3sge BEAMS installed and I'm looking for pointers. The suspension on my truck sucks.

2. tyrap26

tyrap26 Enthusiast

This tread has been dead for 3 years...

Are you using the stock drums or disc conversion in the back?
    If you are hydrolic with calipers, I'd suggest using a aftermarket hand brake with built in master
    Like a ksport or others like it.

You wont be very successful with the underdash one.. It's cables and won't endure the abuse, plus it wouldnt be easy to control

3. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    I knew it had been dead for a while, I do look at the dates, I just wanted to get some input with out starting a new thread. I haven't decide on the rear end yet, I'm guessing the stock drum axle isn't going to work. Is there a DIY on converting a G code axle to discs? I haven't been able to find anything that is intact, I know there is supposed to be a way to change over to Supra brakes(I don't know if mk2 or mk3).

I could totally see the under dash brake lever causing problems with the whole ratcheting action and having to twist it to unlock it, lol. I would like to do a hydro brake between the seats.

4. sojayota

sojayota Enthusiast

5. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    How difficult is narrowing a rear axle? I know the 8.8 has an offset diff and you have to shorten the drivers side a bit to make it work right.

6. sojayota

sojayota Enthusiast

7. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    I did read that one, my gas tank is on the long side anyhow. The biggest problem is how much longer it is than the axle in a '73, ideally I would want to shorten the drivers side so the diff is centered like the stock axle.

8. sojayota

sojayota Enthusiast

I think it's about an 5/8" wider than a 89-95 yotas. So it might b a little wider on ur 73. Depending how much u decide to shorten u could cut the tube take out how much u need and get an axle from an Aerostar or ranger I believe one side is shorter. Then reposition the spring perches. But that might b too much work. Another idea is get a 8.8 from a foxbody should b centered and shorter if u get an svo version will b disc. Then u could either use it as is and make a 4 link or weld new leaf spring perches. Fun fun fun ha

9. Dimebag

Dimebag Newbie

Truck:
    90 xcab
    Just gotta say that the truck looks Hella sick. Been looking all over the for pics of lowered pickups with over fenders. I been wanting to do the same......bad ass

10. rhyan1986

rhyan1986 Newbie

For sale. 4000$