88 drift truck

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Bitter8it, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Bitter8it

Bitter8it Member

ya i tried to take her on thursday but couldnt get the back end out; i found out the hard way that having wider rear tires gives you tons of understeer. so i took her to the drift practice on saturday night with stock tires in the back and had it sliding perfectly. ill be going tomorrow for practice. its cheaper too then thursdays. FRIDAY 2/17 $30 All Night DRIFT and TIME ATTACK Practice!! @AMP | Facebook it would be nice to see more pickups out there! heres a cool video with some clips of a tacoma that was out there thursday night Slide n' Ride Drift Event plus Crash - YouTube
    another update on the truck, i finally got the wheel wells ground down and malleted in to where i dont hit at full-lock as easily, but after i got that done i went to drive it;forgetting i un-did my hood pins, and the hood flipped up at 50mph denting my cowl and cracking the hood a little, luckily the earl shieb i took it to in Anaheim is run by a nice guy and he said he'll paint a new cowl for me for free.

2. ToxicToyz

ToxicToyz Addict

Truck:
    88 longbed
    How much rear end movement with those blocks from streetaco?

3. pacificwheel

pacificwheel Member

damn.. didnt know you were so close. i dont really like adams because you cant get hardly and runs in really. its always so packed. i usually just hit up the streets or wait for an actual track day.

but ya, i jus crashed my truck off toner canyon rd, hit up the offramp, slid it out.. manji'd down the strait, then did a second gear entry into a donut under the bridge and the rear tire popped shooting me the other way into a pole. so truck is currently under construction. but ill be ready to do it again by this cominig week

4. ResidentG33k

ResidentG33k Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' 22R 2WD Single Cab
    Subbed! Hope to see more updates of this truck...

5. speeddream

speeddream Member

im digging this set up!! Waiting to see how it all turns out.

6. jaybee

jaybee Addict

Truck:
    1987 yota truck
    love your truck bradda...whats your set up under your hood

7. Dux_Trucks

Dux_Trucks Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 hi-lux std cab 2wd 5spd short bed
    UPDATES!!!!!!! lol

8. ResidentG33k

ResidentG33k Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' 22R 2WD Single Cab
    What's the status on this awesome truck?

9. Bitter8it

Bitter8it Member

hey sorry I haven't had a lot of updates lately, been busy with school and work right now. wish I had more time for the truck, but I havent been able to drift much. The only update I have is I am supposed to go camping in norcal this summer so I prepared myself with a camper. Luckily this thing doesnt weigh much and I'm low enough to still whip the rear around turns with it on for now. :)
    still a different look, I was hoping it would make my truck less of and eye catcher for cops since they pull me over for everything, but just a few days ago I got a ticket for my passenger taillight being "dimmer then the drivers side taillight"... :rolleyes2:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  10. Bitter8it

Bitter8it Member

oh and jaybee my engine is all stock right now, only welded the diff, and have a 4speed tranny which gets the rear out just fine.

Oh and I finally had a sub put in!

11. Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco Addict

One light dimmer than the other?! WTH...that's lame.

12. ToxicToyz

ToxicToyz Addict

Truck:
    88 longbed
    Does your truck have power steering??

13. Bitter8it

Bitter8it Member

sorry been away and busy, but no powersteering. I like it that way for drifting because I can feel every thing and feel more in control.
    So update on everything: none.. except I added a spare tire holder to the bed, and my license plate got ripped off from bottoming out so I put it in my window.
    But I am actually interested in a stock bed if anyone wants a wide body rear fenders to trade. Im looking to do thinner tires in the rear to make it easier to lose traction.

14. Dux_Trucks

Dux_Trucks Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 hi-lux std cab 2wd 5spd short bed
    dude whats up with it I am down!!!

look at my post slidewayz yota

15. Bitter8it

Bitter8it Member

Went for a quick hour cruise locally today and my buddy has a gopro so we tested it out a little.
    I have a bad habit of spinning out in canyons :X haha
    VIDEO!

16. ToxicToyz

ToxicToyz Addict

Truck:
    88 longbed
    Nice work bro!!! Almost cried when yuu spun out in the beginning.

What kind of suspension set up yuu running??

17. Bitter8it

Bitter8it Member

Thanks! haha ya I love that rush though

Up front I have djm arms and belltech spindles with the torsions cranked up to stiffen the ride. In the rear I have belltech leafs and beefedtaco blocks. The shocks were replaced before I bought the truck, but I'm pretty sure they are nothing fancy.

Would love to upgrade to coilovers one day, but at the moment I cant complain how smooth it rides.

Oh and not sure if it helps, but I have a spare tire holder with a steel tire in the bed that adds a good amount of weight to the rear and it seemed to get rid of any bouncing when drifting.

18. TheLoLux

TheLoLux Toyotaholic

Truck:
    70 LoLux 92 CYN YOTA 84ish 4runner
    There a tack day coming up. I will get more imfo and post it when I do. I know now the it 8-26 and $130 for the day

19. Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco Addict

hahahahahahahaha, you crazy fvckers!! I love it!! You freaked that guy in the white van out lol. :lol:

I could hear your buddy hitting his rev limiter in that last donut he did. Glad to see that things holding up to all your abuse! These axles are pretty amazing.

Be sure and crawl under there and check your c-notch and inside of your frame in that area every now and then for cracks , there are a ton of holes on the inside of your frame that could probably stand to be plated over someday. But the frames hold up amazingly well too on these trucks. But anyone with a c-notch should inspect them periodically.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  20. Bitter8it

Bitter8it Member

ya I've been pushing my truck pretty hard, and everything is holding up great! I love it! Hopefully you'll get to see it again sometime now that a little more is done. After I got the notches and welded diff, **** got reeeaalll fun. haha