81 PickUp 22r will not idle

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by davidg1228, Mar 20, 2015.

1. davidg1228

davidg1228 Member

Truck:
    1981 Toyota Pickup Long Bed 5sp
    So I finally got some more time to work on my truck. I found that i have a power wire with exposed wire and touched a ground and blow the fuse for the engine control. I replaced the fuse and repaired the wire. But I now have no ground on the ground side. I added a good ground and so far that truck stays running. Does any one know where it is grounded through? Is it through the small emissions computer on driver side kick panel? I will post again if i find that fix.

2. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Are you talking about wiring to the fuel cut solenoid?

If adding a ground is keeping it running, than you have already fixed it! lol....You just need to conceal the repair (so you can pass the visual next time you smog).

If you are talking about a "fix" as in fixing the emissions control computer, be prepared to special order the part from a parts store for $300+, or maybe you can find an electronics shop, that can re-solder all of the joints on the circuit board for le$$

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  3. davidg1228

davidg1228 Member

Truck:
    1981 Toyota Pickup Long Bed 5sp
    Yeah the fuel cut solenoid. I definitely need to get it fixed for my next smog ... if i switch out the computer with another one (that works correctly) it should fix my troubles so I might hit the pick-n-pull or look for a parting out truck on craigslist. Thanks for all your help man really appreciate it. I will report back once i find me a new computer.

4. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Problem is, a used one is just as old and probably has cracked solder joints too....

I got a used one for cheap off ebay...no change. Running your own ground is a way of bypassing that worthless little box, imo.