78 longbed -MORK

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by standardbyker88, Aug 13, 2009.

1. S13minus1

S13minus1 Member

Truck:
    86 4WD N/A Auto, 85 Nissan 200SX
    idk if it'll work, but i used the top third of soda cans on my old 240sx steelies. being 19 sucks, cant buy beer. lol

2. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    haha. im set on that. im 21 with a bartending lisence. good tip though. i actually found down the street from me tonight with a free sign, 2 of the same design wheels i have. one has the right size tire and one is too big. so ill use the right size and my spare, paint them black and stick those on. my backs now are pretty shot.

3. standardbyker88

Truck:
    okay tonight i decided im not bagging my dodge anytime soon since its too much work to keep the back seat. it'll need an IRS to work.

anyways, im going to start cutting and saving to bag the yota. it'll get RE-5s up front, probably 6s out back. i already have my 4 link; toyota privia bars and 4runner bars. need one more 4runner lower bar to make my upper wishbone link from. just a simple square tube notch. raise the tank a few inches to clear the frame by about an inch. leaves room for a scrape plate. bed floor is going to be raised about 4". that will leave me room to fit a 24" max rear tire without cutting into the bedsides.

i also plan to make a couple bike ramps for the very back, where the typical "body drop curb" is. they'll tuck into a pocket and side sideways. i also figured out what tire sizes and rim widths will work. i have 2 electric compressors already, and most of the ball valves id need. yes, you read that right. going old school. :D

the bed floor will actually be done almost entirely without a welder, if not all the way. since it gets narrower at the top, and is single wall, ill make my body drop step very close to the bedsides so its hidden. and use angle iron and rivets/panel-glue to hold it all together. then rivet in an inner bed wall on the inside. same deal at the front and rear walls. i can always weld it up later. but it should be fine with enough strong rivets and support. i dont have a welder, but i have a cutter. lol. im sticking with 15s on steelies. i just dont know what design from what old car yet. probably an older dodge since i can find them in varying widths and just cut/re-weld for my offset needs.

up front, its just gonna need a Z and with the shorter tires, should be good. i might toss some later style drop spindles in. not sure yet. might not need them, because at ride heights of 1" or more off the ground, my camber should be the same or better than where im at now. and i have fine steering and tire wear. im almost 10k into a very cheap set of tires and the insides aren't worn too bad. and for the inner fenders, ill just cut a strip from above mine, and make a few other cuts to raise the stock setup. since it'll be able to turn at very low heights i can't use a regular trailer fender, i need the inner part to have a curvy-ness to it so the tire still clears.

anyways, hopefully soon ill get the bed work going. im giving myself until November to do this, plus i gotta pay bills and get a bike. this is basically to be able to haul 2 bikes in the back down to socal for a trip with my girl. :p then leave it in long term parking at an airport and ride further down. then put them back and drive home.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  4. standardbyker88

Truck:
    well im moving to vegas in a few days. so project stuff has been on hold. console is mostly done. few hours work left to do. i got a fresh set of tires on it now though. 195/65/14 and 195/70/14 on stock steelies. it doesnt rub up front at all anymore. but the gearing is a little shorter on the freeway now. anyways, ill keep this updated as i get things actually done to it.

5. JDSnake

JDSnake Veteran

Truck:
    79 longbed
    Are you taking just the lolux or the ram charger too ??

6. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Yota first. Then go back for the dodge. Rc isn't ready to go yet. But close. Just need a few parts and some money.

7. JDSnake

JDSnake Veteran

Truck:
    79 longbed
    Good luck and have a safe trip

8. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Yeah. For sure. I'll see you this weekend when we round up some yota's for a roll and drinks. Haha.

9. JDSnake

JDSnake Veteran

Truck:
    79 longbed
    Sent you a pm w/ my #

10. standardbyker88

Truck:
    well, minor update. ive been playing fiberglass all night. so the console is pretty much done as far as structure. im adding bulk to carve down for the curves. its a bit of a challenge. the front is pretty flat and the back is curvy so im having to blend that together. the shift boot area is going to be the toughest. mounting will be super easy. anyways, heres a few pictures for those who care. its still drying and/or ugly :D

11. standardbyker88

Truck:
    doing inner layup
    [​IMG]

itll all get ground flat and get a layer of filler to save time before wrapping it.
    [​IMG]

added about 8 layers there to get a nice amount to smooth. its way up under the dash but can be seen from sides so i wanted it to look good too
    [​IMG]

other side, little hard to see
    [​IMG]

this area had to get cut out for the cab wall shape. the upper spot i filled was a rear ash tray.
    [​IMG]

12. standardbyker88

Truck:
    this is the basic reasoning for the shape and layout of the area between the shifter and the head unit. the 90* angle will get a nice curve to it, and i plan to put a panel of brushed aluminum there since i dont thing ill be able to totally cover it with the vinyl. so, itll save me by letting me only have to get around the edges. this thing is going to effin suck to wrap.

[​IMG]

13. 77yoter

77yoter Veteran

Truck:
    77 sr5 shortbed, 81 shortbed, 90 4x4
    i tried to wrap mine and it didnt turn out so well so i just ended up painting it but ya yours is going to be harder alot more angles to play with

14. plebean

plebean Newbie

Truck:
    '79 2WD Longbed
    Byker I totally saw you sleeping in your car in pioneer sq. the other day! hahah. I recognized that no fat chicks sticker. I was going to come up and ask you about your truck but saw that you were sleeping.

15. The Crowing

The Crowing Enthusiast

Truck:
    1976 Toyota Pickup
    SB, I love the LowLux!

I just read page 3 that you removed the center section. Now, I didn't read the rest so I don't know if you still have it or not but if you do I can't find one to save my LIFE! Suppose you'd sell it?

16. 22r

22r Veteran

Truck:
    i had a question lol were'd you get the two cup holders? lol toyota never thought of adding cupholders.

17. 79 flatbed

79 flatbed Member

Truck:
    79 rn25
    mazda seats right?
    did u have much trouble with the runners, and is there enough leg room?
    have a set that i re-covered a guy never came back for, was thinking if i didnt have to change much i might throw 'em in

bro that centre console is cool, definately wrap it to do it justice. if u need any advice i was an upholsterer for a while, may be able to help

18. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    bump! great progress, i love it

19. standardbyker88

Truck:
    To answer a few questions;

nope. Don't have a good center section of the dash. I cut mine up.

The seats are similar year corolla, probably 2 doors since they tilt forward far. Dunno if 4 doors do. Sho would know. Lol.

Console is just a tire chains box that fit there. I build a new one from a modified s10 console. Lol.

The cupholders are from a dollar store. They were just double taped down.

Oh and the seats were in when I bought it. They look like a simple mount though.

20. The Crowing

The Crowing Enthusiast

Truck:
    1976 Toyota Pickup
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ...

Oh well lol