78 longbed -MORK

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by standardbyker88, Aug 13, 2009.

1. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    i like it!

2. bustedknuckles

bustedknuckles Enthusiast

Truck:
    1985 Toyota, 2000 S10 Xtreme
    I carry wire in my glove box also. trucks lookin good.

3. krazyasslunatic

krazyasslunatic Enthusiast

Truck:
    1971 Hilux
    I love your truck, probably the only longbed ill ever like

4. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    its funny, because i hated the longbed-ness of it when i got it, and now its grown on me. i prefer the longbeds in this and the 79-83 bodystyles.

the wire is just sorta there. i havent used it in ages, and whenever i need wire i forget i have it.

and with the valance, im pretty sure im going to cut the opening bigger , like out to the edge of its shape probably. its too closed looking. once i put a marker light in there, and the fogs it should work out pretty well. the color is terrible though.

5. Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco Addict

Damn, that shifter knob alone is COOL ! :waytogo: I love that older stuff! Are those 2 blocks stacked on top of each other? Time for a notch like yesterday!

6. standardbyker88

Truck:
    They are cut down 4" blocks then bolted together with the leaf pin. It won't move even without u bolts.

And I have no idea where I got the knob. Arm is a corona or celica. Knob I found in my tool bag, so it's probably from the abandoned VW house where I got my mirror. No idea. But it stays. And I did my bandana shift boot. Ill snap a pic tomorrow.

Today I took it to a truck show. Friend wanted me to go with. I didn't place but it gave me an excuse to hand glaze the whole truck and steel wool all the chrome and glass. It looks amazingly better than it did before.

7. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    the shift knob is identical to the one that came on my 79 sr5.

8. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I've seen a similar one in my buddies truck. But his has that stiched leather look. Mine was smooth.

9. slacker

slacker Addict

Truck:
    84-7m-GTE custom
    where did you get the chrome inner handles ?

10. standardbyker88

Truck:
    i found them in a 74 at the junkyard. i have seen them a couple other times since then, but i didnt think to save them. it reminds me of my 92 toyota, id found some 4runner/sr5s and put them in. i kept the black ones too just in case.

11. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    the chrome handles came on my truck (and im the "buddie" with the stiched rubber shifter) its a 75 SR5.

maybe the chrome handles were a SR5 thing?:shrug:

12. standardbyker88

Truck:
    maybe. i dunno. doesnt matter. haha. and yes, he has pretty much the same shift knob. its all plastic, but had the look of having stitches and 4 pieces to make it look fancy.

13. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    are there a lot of trucks up there with nice dash pads like that? i wouldn't mind getting my fingers on one...

14. standardbyker88

Truck:
    as of a few days ago, one yard didnt have any of this body style, and the other i dont think did. i have one for a 79-83 in my storage but as for the 78 styles, i dont have any. i dont think shonuff does either.

ill keep my eyes peeled for one and some chrome inners if you want me to.

15. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    that'd be cool by me. arizona is hell on dash pads. only cars that seem to do good are the old cars with all steel dashes.

16. standardbyker88

Truck:
    yeah, if i find one ill just snag it. handles fall under the "if it fits in my pocket, its free" rule and the pad would come in handy for mine if you find one before i do. other than my stock inners, and stock shifter arm...i dont really have any interior parts stashed away.

17. standardbyker88

Truck:
    UPDATE TIME :D

so ive been working on the console last night and today, and got the back half trimmed most of the way and sanded the glass id already done down. needs a skim of filler on the slope down from the arm rest to the cup holders but should be about done. i need to glass in where the rear ashtray was, and where i had to cut it out to let it suck tighter to the stupid curve of the cab. and i got the 4runner front half split down the middle, and widened. it doesnt look pretty at all, but most of that will be covered by the stereo riser so its fine.

im not totally happy with how bulky the stereo part looks, but its not bad. ill get used to it just fine. i did it so its angled up towards my eyes and within reach. yes, the body height of these trucks isnt much and that is within reach. lol. its all solid now, ill do another layer of structure inside of it, then grind whatever is in the way of the deck sliding in away. the face below it is designed to hold 2 ~2" gauges for if i ever airbag it. as far as the area around the shifter, ill probably run a small circle and keep rockin a bandana. :D

heres a few pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  18. standardbyker88

Truck:
    and yes, im going to fill in the big side panel areas with a new panel. it was carpet there before. im not gonna try and taper the cutoff edge down to keep that look. i just want it flat down the sides. and everything forward of the seats, i will extend down better to the floor. i am going to put in carpet eventually, and can add some padding to bulk up under whatever isnt perfect. mounting this should be super easy. 4runner front half has a small hole at the front of each side. so a small elbow bracket is all ill need. and same basic idea for the rear half before i drop the tub in. and i can lift the lid/armrest up plenty high without having to hold it up. and because the tub drops in, i can hide stuff i dont want stolen inside the console under the tub. like weapons, booze, cash, s&m leprechauns, ect.

ill have to do test fits before i decide if i want the cupholder panel which will be blended into the entire front half to be blended into the main body, or if i will keep it 2 large chunks. because if i cant get it into the cab in one section without taking a seat out, ill make it 2. ill probably eventually mount my amp under the console too. when i put a shallow 10" in.

19. CurtisZ

CurtisZ Addict

Truck:
    1978 Pickup Longbed
    Lookin' good! :waytogo:

20. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Haven't worked on it much lately. Been having my mind on other, prettier things ;) haha. I will try to get back onto the console. I need to get the deck moved to finish the gauge move. I'm rethinking how I plan to do that. I may keep my heater controls now. Any switches can get put on a panel in the console.

And I'm on the hunt for any small hub hole only style center caps. Chrome preferred. Stock or aftermarket. As long as I can make them fit. I wanna repaint the wheels and run acorns and a small cap.