78 longbed -MORK

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by standardbyker88, Aug 13, 2009.

1. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    Been rounding up little parts to finish little things around the truck. Going to rewire the dash gauges I added. I used a crappy type connector last time. Also adding a 2nd tach in the left vent. Its a digital bar graph style. If it works, I will add it to my cousins 74 truck. Unless I totally love it lol. Then I will have two. Also going to wire the stock water temp gauge back up to have one below and one above the thermostat. I'm kind of a gauge whore. I also picked up a second air/fuel gauge to match the one I bought a few weeks ago. Starting to plan a V8 swap, and will need one for each header. I will post a pic of the gauge.

2. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Here's that gauge. Fits there perfect. Didn't measure it but common size would assume 2-5/8".

Attached Files:

3. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I finally got around to making a new dash bezel today. Heres some pics.

#1. I first ground down the face of all the raised areas. Didn't have the tool I wanted to use so had to make due with others. Will finish it tomorrow.

#2. Then I had to open up the holes for the switches to allow them to mount to the metal face not the plastic. Otherwise the knobs won't work.

#3. I used my buddies sheer and brake to make 2 of these panels. Had to trim and file the edges a bit to make it fit.

#4. Then I marked out and holesawed the gauge holes. Had to hand file them open a bit more since the 2" hole saw was a bit small. The metal is an old road sign, its some kind of aluminum or stainless.

Tomorrow I will cut the slots for the heater controls. Then I am going to sand the panel lengthwise and glue it down to the stock plastic panel. Then it will get painted purple candy. I am going to make a few other matching parts for the interior like that. Check back tomorrow. I will reinstall it and wire up a 5th gauge. Haven't decided for sure what that will be. Thinking an old analog clock or maybe an hour meter. Gonna see if there is anything cool in our parts boat too. I have like 30 various gauges from projects and junkyards. I will find something cool.

Attached Files:

4. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Got these all finished up. Heres more pics. I also made a radio bezel for a stock type two knob radio. And started on a part to go around the shifter. It needs to be finished.

Attached Files:

5. 77yoter

77yoter Veteran

Truck:
    77 sr5 shortbed, 81 shortbed, 90 4x4
    That doesn't look to bad, way better than the gauges just sitting in the stock radio slot...what did you make the shifter cover from.

6. standardbyker88

Truck:
    80s dodge tailgate accent panel lol. The rest was made from a road sign :D

7. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I haven't installed the gauge panel yet. Need butt connectors to rewire everything to take them out. Haven't done much to the truck this week except adding the corolla am/fm radio, which works pretty awesome and clear for an old ass stock junk deck :lol: Much better than expected. If I keep it for long, it will need an amp inline with the speakers to be louder than the truck while driving with the windows down over 45.

I did figure out what my caddy wheels are from. 2003 era CTS. They are in fact 5x114.3 not 112 or 115 like some other stuff. I still want to fix the curb rash on a couple and paint them pearl white. Probably the last set I buy until I swap to 85+ spindles, bigger brakes and narrow the rear end. Wanna run something with a lip out back, and the front should lose some offset requirement with the new parts. No more running 40-45mm offset with 10mm spacers. Hopefully run something around 0 and still tuck. Rears I want like 2-3" of backspacing on an 8" rim. That tucked should fit really well. Won't go 18s all around, but maybe out back. Too big up front for a static drop. Probably narrow the rear when I put the 4 link it on coils this summer. Have the bars and notch. And metal for crossmembers. Just need link tabs and a weekend free with a welder.

I was thinking about torque thrust wheels. They came in all fitments and sizes on newer mustangs, and I thought a set of dishy 17s from a mid 90s bullit or something would be cool. I might run a 17/18 combo.

I have some new pics I took the other day so I will post them tomorrow.

8. Barnacles

Barnacles Enthusiast

Truck:
    89 Hilux - 3VZE
    Holy crap that gauge panel is the shizz. I wouldn't have thought of it, but an old road sign is a perfect free sheet metal source. Discarded road signs of course...

9. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Mine was a no skateboarding sign. And I made 2 of the blanks to make faces with. I can do ya one up for a good deal if you're interest.

10. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I started a new job today. Furniture moving company. Got paid cash which I didn't expect. I've needed a long list of parts for months. Went to autozone and ordered 200 bucks worth of stuff. Got a new alternator, voltage regulator, starter, cap/rotor, ngk v power spark plugs, front timing gasket (need the side water port parts), an intake gasket (for the water ports), a 180* thermostat and gasket, a 12x1.25 lug nut and 2 lock nuts (making a shifter knob, that's my threads), and some wiring supplies. Needed butt connectors to install the purple gauge bezel, got an LED lit toggle switch for the stereo to avoid leaving it on my mistake. I will pick up and install the parts all tomorrow. I also got valve guide seals. I think one is going bad on me. My head is just a rebuilt one off Craigslist for 60 bucks. Ill reset the valves and change them if need be.

Tomorrow I will also try and get my back tires mounted and balanced. My buddy hooked me up with brand new 215/45/17 zexius tires. Not ideal width but got a screaming deal. Stacked a few cords of firewood in the new shed and cleaned up outside his property and shop. So expect a big update tomorrow after I get things all clean and fixed in the engine bay. It's supposed to be sunny so I will probably paint a bunch of stuff while I'm in there. Things like brake booster, wiper motor, ect. No ideal what color or scheme. Usually come up with it five minutes before I spray it haha.

11. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Installed the new radio switch. It's from autozone. Blue led when its switched on. It's really bright though. Any ideas how to dim it? Thought about nail polish the tip to add layers to shine thru. Maybe tint it purple. It was blue or red. Here's a pic. I turned the main gauges blue to match. Usually drive with the yellow or purple. Or rasta :D

Attached Files:

12. Robs Rn20 1uz

Robs Rn20 1uz Member

Truck:
    1978 1uz
  13. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Ill try that too. Purple sharpie night tone it down. Thanks for the tip.

I'm off to pick up my parts. Got the alt, regulator and starter out. Back tires off. Things should be pimpy by tonight.

14. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Got the starter in, the alternator, the voltage regulator, the cap/rotor and the back tires installed. I painted the voltage regulator purple to match things. It was chrome. Waiting on a new radiator to put in all the water gaskets, water pump and thermostat. Ill do the spark plugs when I get my wires from summit. I'm happy I can rev over 3k now. The old alternator would do 17 volts past 3500.

15. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I got the gauge bezel installed. Need to wire the gauges back up. Clock needs a light added into the empty hole on the back. Need to modify it a bit for the fan switch. It's all too thick. May swap to the pull type used on the wiper. Thats what's on the right side for the air horns. Going to use different slider knobs and switch knobs. Need longer screws for the lower corners too.

But what do you guys think? The metal was free and so was shaping it. Used some bomb can paint. Gauges were like 20 a piece. So for less than a hundred bucks I got this look.

Attached Files:

16. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Eventually I think there will be a 3 gauge pod above the stereo DIN on the console. Just below the air vent under the dash. For the two air fuel ratio gauges and an oil temp. Those wont be needed until the V8 swap.

17. Robs Rn20 1uz

Robs Rn20 1uz Member

Truck:
    1978 1uz
    Which V8?

18. standardbyker88

Truck:
    318 Dodge magnum engine. They have way better heads and cams than the LA 318s. Both are strong as hell and can attach to a W or R series 5 speed with Dakota V6 bell housings. Probably familiar with that down under lol.

19. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Tonight I swapped out the 79 corolla am/fm radio for my pioneer CD player. It's from 08 when I first bought the truck lol. From the pics when I first had it. Works
    Alot better for pulling in stations and can control an iPod directly thru the dock port. Also has front rear and sub amp outputs. Will add a sub later. Starting to think a bed box with a port thru the can. Make it part of a flush fitting tool box. Hold a 12 or couple 10s or something. Anyways it matchs the blue switch and gauges great. Ill post a pic later with everything lit up at night.

20. standardbyker88

Truck:
    So I broke the motor on the 4th of July. Took the head off on the 5th to find a cracked head. I traded 77yoter some parts, cash and a paintball gun for his old built head. Has an unknown stage 2 cam with dual springs. Ill measure the lift once its installed. He said it worked on his 20/22 so it should work on mine the same. I have the deck surfaces triple brake cleaned, scrubbed the carbon off the pistons, am about to stick my ngk plugs in the new head. Need to prep and clean the intake and exhaust manifold surfaces on the manifold/header, then I can slap it all back together. I don't think I have enough oil to start it today though. I will get a video of the new cam when I do. Maybe ill snap a few pics today. I also painted up a new valve cover, the metal TEQ cap style. The purple paint looks kinda pinkish but ill rock it lol. I also have a PCV catch can and radiator catch cans to install. Need a couple parts to make brackets.