78 Hilux build

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Pnwhilux, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Pnwhilux

Pnwhilux Member

I did not blow them clean with air but I did swab in the holes pretty good to try and clean them out.

2. Pnwhilux

Pnwhilux Member

I don't know how to verify it's not the head gasket at this point without pulling and retrying.

Don't think it's the timing chain/water pump. Oil looked fine before hg replacement.

Coolant looks fine as well no oil in the coolant.

I ran for about 10 minutes today on fresh oil and it looks about the same, maybe a bit better. Question is how much contamination does it take to make the oil look the way it does. It's not frothy shake, just milky.
    Don't want to continue to run it and roast the bearing's.

3. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    You can pull a vacuum on the radiator. If it doesn't hold its leaking somewhere. The timing cover can be eaten by a loose chain and dump coolant in the oil. That would be a major leak though and would probably mix oil and coolant pretty well in minutes. So you might be lucky and it's not that. I found that a head gasket on these motors tends to pressurize the coolant really fast and much higher then normal. And to add to that you tend to not get much if any coolant leaking into the cylinders. That's from my experience. I know blowing out the head bolt holes was mentioned. Another reason you really want to do that is you can crack the block if you don't because you end up with a hydraulic stop. That would be one of the worst case scenarios.

4. Pnwhilux

Pnwhilux Member

Not looking good.

Attached Files:

5. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Realizing it's a 20r. Would be less common to see a timing cover eaten up.

6. Pnwhilux

Pnwhilux Member

It looks decent in there. And logic says the timing cover didn't get eaten up exactly the same time the head gasket was replaced.

7. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    The reason I mentioned the front head bolt that’s threaded into the timing cover is that it seals a water passage through the block. If this is stripped from over tightening it can allow coolant to enter the oil pan. It would have a minimal effect on compression readings.
    I noticed you snapped a bolt on the thermostat housing. Was this before or after you did the head gasket? You have to be really careful when working with these old engines.
    Members here can offer good suggestions. Not knowing your degree of mechanical skill it’s hard to determine what’s causing your problem.

8. Pnwhilux

Pnwhilux Member

That bolt isn't snapped it's just full of dirty water.... Tricky picture :)

The bolt on the front of the timing cover isn't stripped either. I don't remember what I torqued it to. Probably just hand tight. Head bolts were per the fsm. I didn't have the head milled since it wasn't a head gasket that got me to this point in the first place ( it was a burnt valve). That could always be my problem.

I'm pretty darn handy, I'm a mechanical engineer/redneck... Some might call it the best of both worlds ( or the worst !) I appreciate all the suggestions.

My main concerns are the father I dig into this motor the more janky stuff I see from the previous owner.

9. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Since we're talking about "that bolt" on the cover, did you put sealant on the bolt? It might be worth it to get the bolt from the dealer pre-coated with sealant. The factory service manual makes a big deal about the bolt being correctly sealed and installed...

10. Pnwhilux

Pnwhilux Member

I didn't put any sealant on the bolt. I don't have an fsm for this engine yet, guess it's time. In all the threads I read I don't remember seeing anything about sealing that bolt....

11. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    I misspoke. It's one of the oil pump bolts. Sorry; this is the bolt I was thinking of.

Picture is from 1979 CelIca FSM.

Attached Files:

12. Pnwhilux

Pnwhilux Member

Pulled the head again. Everything looks normal as far as I can tell. Going to have the head machined and checked for cracks. At this point that's the only thing I can think of.

13. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Did you not resurface the head the first time? I think the handbook calls for a .03mm or even more ridiculous for the tolerance on flat. Your almost guaranteed it will be over when you pull it because of warping.

14. Pnwhilux

Pnwhilux Member

I did not take it to the machine shop for resurfacing. I rolled the dice on that one and it looks like I lost. I reasoned that since it wasn't removed due to a blown head gasket it would be ok. Hopefully that's the smoking gun

15. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Some mechanics swear by not needing to resurface but it's always a gamble. Get a good look at the block to. A blown headgasket can cause pitting on the block if ran for a while.

16. Pnwhilux

Pnwhilux Member

Got the head back from the machine shop. $200 bucks out the door. cleaned/pressure tested and machined.
    Figured while I have the engine this torn down I might as well pull it out and do the oil pan gasket and paint the engine and engine bay.

SO the million dollar question while I have the engine out and the pan off what else should I replace. I am fighting the urge to replace a bunch of stuff.
    Water pump?
    oil pump? are these a standard wear item?
    timing set? guides? if the guides look good can i run them? I assume they are metal backed.
    bearings? will pull and inspect for wear. If they look good should I continue to use them or swap them out.
    rings/Hone?

17. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    It might be good to get a timing chain. They can stretch giving you running problems. The oil pickup tube will be a decent thing to replace. Depending how dirty the pan is you can look at getting a replacement from O'Reilly's for about 70 bucks. Something like the water pump could easily be replaced after it goes out. If it's not binding, grinding and the impeller is intake your fine. I would think the oil pump would be fine as well. If you don't want to be bothered by cleaning them up then replace them. How the cylinder walls look will be the deciding factor if it needs a hone and rings. If you don't see the cross hatching marks and you have a decent lip on top of the cylinders then it's time.

18. Pnwhilux

Pnwhilux Member

Thanks Pearce I will keep that in mind once I get the engine torn down. I feel like I remember seeing that you are in the same area as me, know of any good mini truck shows in the area?
    Got the engine out today. Had to get a little creative with the tow strap since I couldn't pick it from the hooks on the head since it wasn't there!
    Couldn't find any 12*1.25*xxx bolts to mount the engine to the stand so that's where the progress stopped.
    Also started cleaning up the engine bay

Attached Files:

19. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I normally hit up the Griot's Garage caffeine and gasoline get togethers every month. They are normally themed but anyone can show up. Haven't seen a mini truck one yet. Car clubs also have their events there. Like the pnw toyota owners. Then you got the old school reunion in Sumner. Thats your typical register before the show type event. It's all jdm euro before 1990.

20. Pnwhilux

Pnwhilux Member

I will have to check some of those out when I get back on the road. Never been to griots before. I've been to some Subaru and VW stuff at the A&W in Issaquah.