78’ Hilux starving for fuel under load

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Monstacoq, Oct 11, 2023.

1. Monstacoq

Monstacoq Newbie

Hey everyone, Im trying to troubleshoot my problem im having with my truck. (85’ 22R swapped) Under load it bogs out & starves itself for fuel. It can idle & rev up completely fine. Ive been through 2 mechanical fuel pumps within under a year, im leaning towards dropping the tank & cleaning it out + changing the sending unit.

If anyone has any idea what could cause it to not want to operate under load i would greatly appreciate and guidance!

2. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Were those Toyota fuel pumps or aftermarket?
    Cleaning out the fuel tank is likely a good idea regardless - how does your fuel filter look?

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Blow out the hard lines with compressed air. I had a bunch if crud in mine. Check your filters. And check the float in the carb. Do you have an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator? Or a fuel pressure gauge?

4. Ponyryd

Ponyryd Enthusiast

As stated I’d be looking for a fuel supply issue. Personally I’ve seen at least 2 cars (both mine) with rust inside the fuel tank causing this exact issue. Seems somewhere between 1-4 years of sitting without a full tank will cause a large amount of rust to accumulate inside the tank, and it will contaminate the whole fuel system very quickly.
    I’d start by getting a look inside the tank-or at the very least get a glass (see-through) fuel filter and run it in-line on the feed side so you can check the fuel for sediment/debris and fuel colour.

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Also what carb do you have? I had the jet to my secondaries blocked on my weber with a bunch of gunk that made it past 2 filters to a new carb. It all could use a once over if its older shit