77 Pickup The Hard Way

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Sk1dmark, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Sk1dmark

Sk1dmark Enthusiast

Truck:
    1977 Toyota Pickup, (SOLD) 1974 Hilux
    Well I went and disappeared for a couple months but that doesn't mean I wasn't working on the truck plenty. So last we spoke I had a crusty looking interior, a 4 speed that would soon stop liking going into 3rd, and other than that a reasonably solid truck. Well first thing's first, let's stop future rust because this is New Jersey and this truck will basically melt away in front of my eyes come winter if I don't. Enter Lawson's Rust Converter:

[​IMG]

You brush this stuff on like paint and it does a fun chemical reaction where it interacts with the oxide layer (rust) and changes its chemical composition from ferric oxide to tannic ferrite. Tannic ferrite is extremely stable, so it won't rust. Cover that in paint to protect the layer you just made and you have a nice, stable non rusty area on your hands. You'll know it's working when it turns black/deep purple:

[​IMG]

Again, cover it in paint afterwards to protect it (I went matte black):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is by no means a restoration or intended to be a show truck so forgive the lazy spray job and the relatively unsightly rust patch

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
    Peter T and Toyotashack like this.
  2. Sk1dmark

Sk1dmark Enthusiast

Truck:
    Next up was "the big one." @Toyotashack's transmission had arrived from Greyhound (really can't recommend them enough for cheap quick freight shipping), and it was time to give this thing an overdrive.

The first part of the swap was very straightforward. Removal was as expected, and I had the transmission out in a few hours (I work pretty slow, I'm no professional):

[​IMG]

It was at this point though where bolt in became "bolt in" and I realized what all was ahead of me. Since I couldn't find a good repository of this info anywhere in one place:

For those wanting to swap from an L43 to a W50 in their RN25, RN28:

You will need:
    1. A donor transmission
    2. A donor crossmember, OR
    3. A cutoff wheel and some patience and lack of sympathy for original metal
    4. New transmission mount
    5. New clutch and/or flywheel (you won't want to take this apart again admit it. Just replace it while you're there)

The process (I'm sorry I'm part of the problem here as I was trying to get the job done and didn't take pictures like I intended to):
    1. Remove the L43. If this requires further explanation this swap is likely above your pay grade.
    2. The stock crossmember can be used however it will need to be modified. The modifications include:
    • Notching the outer upper metal in order to clear the additional support brackets that are welded to your frame
    • Removal of the "trans tower" on the crossmember
    • Notching the center section of the upper crossmember to allow the W50 mount to sit on the lower metal
    • Drill the holes for the W50 trans mount
    • You will only be using 4 bolts to mount the crossmember UNLESS you cut and re-weld those brackets on your frame.
    • NOTE: From an engineering perspective, each M8 bolt can hold 200kgf with a safety factor without fear of breakage in tensile loading. 4 bolts then should support 800kgf with the same safety factor. The engine/transmission unit is supported not only by the transmission mount but also the engine crossmember with 2 points. Those 2 points not only disperse the load, but also balance it such that you can call torque on the bolts negligible. That entire system doesn't weigh more than 400lb with all fluids. 400lb to 180kg, aka less than the tensile strength of one 10.9 class M8 bolt (you're talking about pull force straight down here. Try to hang your engine and trans off a single bolt it'll probably break because that's not the same). This is all to say 4 bolts is more than enough to safely hold the trans crossmember up and if you choose to not relocate those brackets you SHOULD be fine. I chose not to. I do not condone following what I did. My math worked out in my head. If you choose to do so, do so at your own risk. Don't take legal advice from a build thread.
    3. Installation is reverse of removal. When you reinstall the crossmember ensure you use the rear set of nutserts on the frame as the W50 requires the crossmember to be set back. Toyota has provisions for that on your frame.
    4. You will need to cut a new hole in your floor. Hope you can fix that too.
    5. Your speedometer cable will just barely fit, but you'll need to be very efficient in its routing The speedometer input on a W50 is on the right side instead of the left side like on a L43
    6. For reverse lights, cut the connectors from your L43 off and crimp on some extension leads. The reverse switch is on the left side rather than right side like an L43 but uses the same bullet connectors.
    7. Readjust your parking brake and make it work. It will all fit with some tomfoolery, and you'll have to yank it harder if you don't mess with it much, but you moved the crossmember back so it's not going to be "like it was" unless you make provisions
    8. Congratulations on your 5 speed. Grip it and rip it, bud.

In the event some person in the future is in the same position as I was and finds this post and is running their head against a wall, PLEASE send me a DM and I'll be happy to help any way I can.

Peter T, Toyotashack and Erwin Merida like this.
  3. Sk1dmark

Sk1dmark Enthusiast

Truck:
    After the swap ordeal it was time to make some time using the truck instead of wrenching on it, so my girlfriend and I took the pup on a hike and went Geocaching. The pup rides in the cab between us, but likes being in the bed for lunch and water breaks:

[​IMG]

Toyotashack and Erwin Merida like this.
  4. Sk1dmark

Sk1dmark Enthusiast

Truck:
    After a whole week of break, it was time to tackle the interior. I like this old truck. I liked my 74 too. In between them I owned a few vehicles, and have gotten a bit older. I'm now an old curmudgeon and value some peace and quiet so it was time to quiet this thing down. Up for the job was sound deadening rubber and thermal foam, as well as some carpet to round off some niceness on the interior:

[​IMG]

This stuff is a wrist killer. Cut it to shape, lay it down, and use a roller to smooth it out and ensure it is properly secured to the floor.

[​IMG]

This is time consuming but satisfying work. Be sure you get inside the B-pillar and inside the doors as well it all makes a difference. And don't forget the roof.

After the install plus some thermal foam came RockAuto carpet. This stuff is...okay. It required some cutting and I'm no carpet-layer, but it came out good enough for Government work:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Take your time with this, you'll be glad you did. And one last tip. When making holes for bolts, take a spare socket that's big enough to fit the shank of the bolt through, hold it with vice grips, and heat it with a propane or MAPP torch. Then burn the hole in with that socket, it'll make a clean cut and cauterize the surrounding carpet, sealing the fibers and preventing fraying.

After that you, too can realize just how shitty your seat and dash cap look!

5. Sk1dmark

Sk1dmark Enthusiast

Truck:
    No good pictures around this, but the latest on the truck was fixing some bad grounds to restore some function. I had a faulty tail light and reverse light that I fixed, and I restored the function to the switched interior light which is some nice day-to-day stuff. I have window felts coming in to make the windows rattle less when down (something I never would have noticed if I hadn't made the truck quiet inside), and I'm looking for a seat cover for the bench seat and have a lead on a dash cap to make this one look nice again.

The last thing is just this gas gauge that I mentioned earlier. I still have no gauge function which is frustrating. The wires all seem in tact so I'm just not sure at the moment what would cause the gauge not to work.

Still plenty to do exterior-wise with bedliner in the bed coming up, as well as a repaint in the hopefully not distant future. We also got some rain today and I noticed a leak at the bottom left corner of my windshield so I have to investigate that as well. Also some quality of life improvements in hopefully building a new speaker box to give a bit of bass to the system and 3d printing a faceplate for the radio. Hoping to switch to mostly LITTLE projects as I want some free time back (and I'm sure my girlfriend wants me to have some time too)

Erwin Merida likes this.
  6. Sk1dmark

Sk1dmark Enthusiast

Truck:
    Well I was lazy in uploading pictures and accidentally uploaded straight from google photos so they got lost. Fixed those now, so pictures can be worth a thousand words each!

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Wow never saw how they extended the floorpan. Literally looks like the early floor with some flat extension to the back wall

Sk1dmark likes this.
  8. David Eidson

David Eidson Member

my best wishes for Sk1dmark
    [​IMG]

After using a power probe to find the faulty areas and repairing them, all the lights and gauges were functional. at least on a test bench. In the truck I still needed to fix severed wiring to the combo light in the front. the reverse light switch appears to be broken as the lights and wiring is all checking out good. I don't plan to keep this transmission as I want the 5 speed so I'm not worried about that. I also have an interesting issue that I could use some help with. My fuel pump works, but my fuel gauge doesn't work. I dropped the tank to take a look at things, and when the tank was dropped the fuel pump stopped working (I assume it lost ground as it must ground through the frame). But strangely, with the tank dropped my fuel GAUGE started to work. Once I put it all back it reverted back to fuel pump working and no gauge. No idea there, anyone have some perspective?[/QUOTE]

9. David Eidson

David Eidson Member