'75 Hilux 22RE Turbo project

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Smokewagon, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I would fully confirm what it is before trying to order any parts for it. I'm just a dude on the internet getting my info from the internet.

Smokewagon likes this.
  2. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
    I found a few places that will take free returns, I am going to give it a go.

3. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
    Update: it is an R series but kind of a hybrid. R 154 parts fit/work but now I am thinking I may want to design/make a dog box for it. This is why any project I have takes half a decade to finish....

_Quickfox and Pearce like this.
  4. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Good info on the 22ret trans. I've been looking into straight cut dog gears in my car. Gear sets are really expensive that's if they even make them for the transmission you're looking to put them in. You could almost spend the money to design or have someone like Collins make an adapter plate for the cd009 or something with the money you're talking about just in gears. If you go that route might want to see if the input shaft has any chance of going in a pilot bearing. Even if you design your own dog gears the time in research, development, and materials would be millions of dollars at a set up establishment. Obviously I don't know what you're capable of but something like that is a lot to take on.

Smokewagon likes this.
  5. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
    I am an aerospace engineer that works in design. I am not worried about the design or the cost for the machining (I talked to a few of our machinists and they are up for some home/side projects, and I have lots of good remnant material at my house). R&D is what is going to be really costly (in time and money). How many iterations will it take to be successful? Either way, I can't bring myself to pay $6,000 for a set of dog-ring gears. We just got a new 3D scanner at work and it is going to make my life so much easier. Between that and the fact, I can print really accurate prototypes to test fitment should save a decent amount of $ (and hopefully time).

_Quickfox likes this.
  6. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    If you can make a transmission with multiple bellhousing options and shifter positions that would be where its at. If can bring it to the market as build to order for under 15k that would be a solid choice.

7. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
    Actually yeah I have a few R151F bellhousings that I have 3d scanned and plan on using as a base for other transmission designs. I'm not a business so it'll probably be 5 years before I actually do anything with it though. Haha.

8. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    The market isn't huge for sequential transmissions but if you do go that far and make one I would definitely take commissions based orders. Probably won't be swamped with buyer's but no matter what you will have people taking interest even if it's out of their reality of owning.

9. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
    Update: I have been waiting for a 12lb flywheel from LC for a while now (I guess they have had some manufacturing issues) but, it should hopefully ship today. I am also going to try out an M-Pact "high performance" 8 7/8" 6 puck clutch from rock auto... We'll have to see how that goes. I hate to say it but the truck will be up for sale later this year. :( Without updates to the brakes and suspension its kind of a death trap and, I don't have the willingness or patience to re-engineer all of that stuff.

10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    You could easily modify the control arms to accept 84-95 balljoints, then drop spindles and 4Runner 4piston brakes.

11. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
    Yeah the suspension would be the easy part. The steering is what I would be dreading. the rear steer with the world's tiniest manual box makes it complicated to try to update it.
    I just don't drive it as much as I should to justify keeping it.

12. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    LOL what is "as much as you should"?

I have a 1988 that I plan to some day clean up and restomod lightly. I've been in "parts collection mode" for many years. According to my smog check records, I drive it 500miles per year.

Not much, but when you need a truck, it comes in REALLY handy...

13. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I'm totally attached to my vehicles so selling is never a thought when it comes to stuff like this. I don't know how much you're into the build. I would think a good amount of money will be going down the drain selling. There's always going to be huge hurdles when chasing performance. In all reality unless you're serious about racing why is everything an issue right now? I would just enjoy it even if it just collects dust. It's your build.

_Quickfox likes this.
  14. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
    I have too many other projects. This truck gets driven around once a month. The big problem is that we are a family of 4 and this doesn't fit all of us.

Yeah I am sure I will lose my ass on this one (in time and in money). The hard part is I have no idea what to even market it at. Maybe it will go on Bring a trailer or cars and bids?

15. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I know cars and bids is only for cars past 1980. Bring a trailer can be hit a miss with a project. People tend to look for original on there. Facebook is the best.

16. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Shit I've put maybe 3500 miles on my truck in the 5 years ive been driving it. And thats assuming the GPS speedo is tracking correctly. About 1/4 of those miles are from a few trips out of town for Toyotafest.

I'll lose interest and not drive it and then i take it out once and remember how fun it is to drive. Then it annoys me and the cycle starts again. Thats why im working on it in stages, so i enjoy it for a while before the next teardown

Justin Danger and Erwin Merida like this.
  17. Ponyryd

Ponyryd Enthusiast

Damn that sucks, this was a cool build and I’d love to have that engine, lol. Sadly the truck falls into a very small market, BAT brings big money but not sure they’ll even accept it, worth a shot though, Facebook would be good if you use that (I don’t), or eBay motors, ads are cheap and at least you’ll have a rough idea of the market.
    I’m not sure if you’re looking for value opinions but I’d think $2500-5k.

_Quickfox likes this.
  18. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
    Yeah that is likely my problem. Not enjoying it enough between major upgrades.

jetas likes this.
  19. _Quickfox

_Quickfox Enthusiast

Bruv, it's a shame..don't give up on it or at least find a good corner; sure there are better things to work on, better platforms per se, but we need you :meemee:

Whatever you decide, happy trails..consider what other drivers have done to build toyota trucks 240/180sx or Miata chassis stuff :)

20. Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson Member

I know this is an older thread, but I'm getting ready to help my son put a 22re in his 74 pickup, did you have to change oilpan and oil pick up tube ? I saw that it may have to be changed to clear the steering arms? Can A 76,77 celica 20r oilpan and tube be used? It's mid sump ,thanks for any help