73 hilux 22r hybrid

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Pearce, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    You could tape it to the window. Im going to do that for another angle looking out the back.

2. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    The boss just came by and told me something about my truck that surprised me. I have heated seats. Going to get some relays and switches and hook them up.

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    WHAT! Thats pretty awesome! Is it aftermarket or OE?

4. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux

They are seats out of a Subaru outback.

jetas and 74RN22 like this.
  5. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Just tested the fan on the heater core. Works fine. I'll probably just hook it up to come on with ignition switch now until I get a relay and switch. I was worried it was bad because it was never hooked up when I got it. Even though I have no controls I can easily get to the levers. Right now its flowing though anyway.

6. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Well went for a little rip today. Got a block away from my place and I'm getting on it then it throws the spark plug. It's pretty well stripped from on the head. Pulled a difference plug put it in and was able to limp it home. After I tried reusing the spark plug it threw just to hear it hit the hood on start. Lol

7. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    https://22reperformance.com/cylinder-head/stock-cylinder-head
    Ok this may not be the head you are looking for but....

Also
    eBay item number:

Pearce likes this.
  8. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Found one online around me in really good shape for 60. I'll pick that up next week. I'll look into getting it ported and polished when I get it resurfaced. The cam shop by me has about everything for it. Not sure if they have rockers. Full master rebuild kits are not outrageously priced. Probably going to pick one up and after I slit it decide how far I go. Consider this a happy accident. I planned on doing alot of this work anyway.

KS.ID and 74RN22 like this.
  9. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    After going to youtube porting school I've gathered the price tends to far outweigh the gain from having someone else do it. Also understanding a full polish job can be a problem for a carbureted motor. Thinking I'll practice on the one before I actually do it. I'll just do a port match and clean up any casting markings. Probably going to go with the stainless valves 1mm over.

10. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    So you are gonna purchase the $60.00 head and practice on the one you are removing, correct. Not a bad idea. But you are aware that you ca install a heli-coil in that spark plug hole and if installed properly will hold for a while so that you can do what you need to do before changing out your head.

Pearce likes this.
  11. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Yeah the neighbor brought those up when it happened. Looked into it but not in a situation that I really need it driving right away.

12. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
  13. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    74RN22 likes this.
  14. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    I haven't used helicoil, but have used Time-serts, very similar product.They are wonderful, you just want to be very careful of what angle you are drilling at.

15. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    The one @74RN22 linked is alot like the time-serts. Got it in and had a little leak. Seemed to be able to get it to stop. After I started listening and tinkering. I was working on putting a nice haze around the block. Sounds like it's been cammed. Im pretty sure that didnt happen with all the other parts being mostly stock. Not a new sound. No new sounds besides what I'm guessing is belt squeak from what I could pin point. At least now I can get it to the shop again. I was totally going to do everything in the driveway during winter.

74RN22 likes this.
  16. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    Sorry, I use to sell autoparts for three years and as a last resort I would have to recommend a Heli-coil. I had to use some while a mechanic in the Air Force for 20 years and again as a last resort until we could get the permanent item or replacement in. It usually kept that piece of equipment in service until the next scheduled service...

Pearce likes this.
  17. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Got an orileys giftcard so I ordered a new clutch kit and slave cylinder. Just going to resurface the flywheel. I do want to swap it for something lighter but for now I'm sticking to a budget.

74RN22 likes this.
  18. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Got my parking brake working again. Just used a bike brake cable I ordered to fix it. 2 dollar fix compared to the 30 dollar part that would not be an exact fit.

19. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    20200108_161123.jpg 20200108_161054.jpg Well after waiting all day dude finally told me to come pick up the head. Looks good so far. Cant see any cracks. I think it was cleaned in gasoline. The smell is strong.

Dan McBoost and 74RN22 like this.
  20. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Seeing some of the cool and new projects on here has me thinking of my end goal. I'm not going to do any radical changes to it. Mostly little upgrades and restoring. Alot of the parts are out there and somewhat easy to find. While I can is how I feel.

The interior will be custom but nothing crazy. I wont be changing it much different then it is now. Unless I pull the trigger on a stock interior set.

I'll keep my intrest with the 20r platform as long as I can but I would condenser swapping to an 18rg. If I can get my hands on one. @74RN22 thread has sparked my intrest in them.

When I first was offered the truck airbags was the first thing I thought of. But the ride height has grown on me. Will be considered helper bags. I plain on hailing things here and there.

The only radical thing I plain on doing is a bed rack. As my time working as an ornamental fabricator I met this old timer. He had this normal f250 but he had a nice bed rack. He used some vained rod that looked like trees and leafs all around. I'm not that intrested in having a bed rack but it's just to cool to not do.