73 hilux 22r hybrid

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Pearce, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Started tuning it today. Pretty much there. Good enough for now. I did take a video when it was way off because it sounded like a tractor. Noticed it started to spit flames. Pretty funny. My friend was like you need to run it like that. I got it running way smoother and think it's done spitting flames. I'll post a video up later of that. Pretty funny I wrap it out higher then I wanted to. Sounded good though.

Pretty sure its still spitting flames. I could hear it on video. Still have a bit of a misfire. Might just be a fouled plug. At least thats what im hoping. But in all reality I pretty much know I have good spark and timing is in ballpark. Fuel should be fine. Pump could have better placement but it works. Carb is just about there. Maybe these things can be tuned more but I'm starting to think valves could have some problems. Maybe adjusting my lash would help. I know that hasn't been done in 4 plus years. From what I have looking up it could be valve seals. Probably going to move up plans and hit it harder.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Perkolator, 74RN22 and jetas like this.
  2. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    So after thinking and talking with my brother I realized I could of started pulling plug wires with it running to isolate the cylinder or even figure out if it's really dead. My brother said open header pretty much always backfire. He did notice the header is really short and I need to get an exhaust on it. Or I would forsure get burnt valves. Have just about everything. Waiting on flanges. Need to make some pie cuts. I'll probably see if I can hit up my old job and do those on the bandsaw chopsaw. I need to buy some rod for hangers as well. Should have some at the shop.

3. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    20191127_141700.jpg 20191127_141709.jpg 20191127_141912.jpg 20191127_141933.jpg Finally got around to picking up a quick release for the steering wheel. $100 momo hub (the only good thing) paired to a $20 quick release and an early nrg steering wheel to top it off. I only bought the quick release because I have the same one one my sim fboy racing rig. I do have my eyes on a momo indy wheel. Because I'm showing off the rig I figured I show my prized desk piece. An old Toyota ashtray with I think every vehicle from late 60s early 70s.

74RN22 likes this.
  4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    NRG short hub fits much closer to the column. In case you were wondering

5. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I wanted the crush hub to stay somewhat safe if I wreck it.

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I hear you on that.

7. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Started working on the exhaust today. Got it piped to the muffler. Got to figure out a route for the tailpipe. Also have to add my hangers.

The first time I've been able to run her long enough to get the thermostat to open. Took longer then thought. Got worried some. Did have smoke at the start. Cleared up. Noticed valve train rattle aswell. I know the rattle is pretty much is I need to set the lash. The smoke is making me think valve seats though. The old exhaust manifold leaked a ton and was missing a stud that amplified the leak. My times running it open header dosnt make this equation look any better. I'm not going to tear it down yet but a full rebuild is getting moved up on the list. Oh and also learned I need a .6 ohm coil. The 3ohm would of been fine for the for the igniter 1. Could fail alot faster with high resistance.

Worst part of the day is I dislocated my shoulder getting on the ground and I welded the start of my tailpipe upside down 2 times.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  8. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Doing alittle hvac apprentice rust repair on the rockers. Have some scrap tin snips and a welder. Im dangerous! Drivers side was worse. Got it mostly done. Just need to weld on a bolt and smooth it out. Started raining so I'm on break. 20191201_110521.jpg 20191201_111625.jpg 20191201_112205.jpg

KS.ID, Ivey and 74RN22 like this.
  9. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Well got it pretty much done. Still a little smoothing out but other then that turned out alright. The passenger side welded a bit better. This old steel sucks. More spots shined though when I started grinding. Took care of it and its solid now. 20191202_144544.jpg

74RN22 likes this.
  10. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Cleaned out the engine bay some. Also tapped the frame for the bumper bolts and got the bumper fastened again. Bolted a few other things down aswell. 20191203_132933.jpg

74RN22 likes this.
  11. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Figure I would throw up the build plate. The stock color is artic white. In the engine bay it has some spots in really good shape. Spent more time on it. All by hand an a garden hose with no pressure. Thinking I will pick up some matching paint and do the wheel wells and core support. Firewall looks good so I'll not worry about that. I think I'll dress it up soon with an aluminum radiator and a new fan from Lce. There is some rust repair needed to be done under the battery tray. Might patch that tomorrow. Using the hole for quick access for the battery tender lol. Wont be the last of my rust repair. I have to do the floors. And I just learned the coating I threw on to stop rust just trapped moisture. Need to wire wheel it off. 20191203_232259.jpg

12. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    shop around for the fan, LCE can be pricey.

13. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux

If I can find a different spacer I can probably save some money. 60 bucks for it alone from Lce. From what they say its 3" long. But I dont know what the pulley bolt pattern is.

14. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Mostly done with the wheel well patch. Put way to much filler. Still need to do another layer. 20191207_191410.jpg Good thing to knock off the list.

15. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Alittle more sanding and it's done. Looks alright for a guy in the driveway and fighting the weather. 20191208_163625.jpg

74RN22 likes this.
  16. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Got to love people. Threw on my new drums and after did a walk around. Noticed my gas tanks cap was off. Not wanting to believe someone was messing with my shit I started to believe I might of just left it off. Then I noticed the og tanks cap was off. Went and bought a locking cap right away but dosnt fit right. I just drained the tank. Only threw a gallon in last time. Got over 1 gal after draining of water. The old tank had 4 year old gas and a half gal of even shittyer gas full of debris I threw in last month. I probably even have thrown in shit that wasn't gas before. So they got some premium shit. I hope they drained the main tank. I need to pull it. So pissed they left the cap off. Maybe they got caught in the act by a neighbor. Because that's super grimy. I do live in a town nicknamed tacomton though.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  17. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    So did you totally drain it to make sure you start with clean good fuel?

Precaution just saying!!

Pearce likes this.
  18. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux

Working on it. Still has alittle in the tank that is not coming out. Pulled the line from the carb as well. Just incase I forget and try to start it or key on. Going to run the pump and catch what I can. If I cant get it with the pump i can easily pull the new tank.

74RN22 likes this.
  19. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    So thinking about security of the tank. My thoughts are to put it under the bed. I would just have a lockable access door. Just remember I have a screw in gas gauge that you can get a hose in. A cap will not help. Hoping the old tank is drained. I've been holding off on pulling it because I knew it had gas in it. Maybe I'll get a night vision camera on the gauge and hook it up to the head unit. Lmao

74RN22 likes this.
  20. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux
    Great job on the rust repair... I currently have a giant hole where I cut out the cancer. My whole tray was shot, so I'll do my best with a patch
    upload_2019-12-12_16-3-36.png

74RN22 and Pearce like this.