73 hilux 22r hybrid

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Pearce, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Pretty sure O'Reilly's got me. Sent me 2 of the same outer tie rods in a different box. I haven't pulled the old stuff off but pretty sure they should be the opposite of each other. Pretty sure i got the left side.

Doing some late night shopping last night and got a badlanz exhaust cutout coming. Really wanted the ability to pull up at the light all sleeper style and just push a button to wake everyone up.

Went down to O'Reilly's and got them to order it again. Should have it by 3.
    1601055260363_1384230876_3b56b037.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  2. AllanG

AllanG Newbie

Truck:
    73 Hilux
    Any pictures of the radiator/fan setup? I plan to add an electric fan on mine after I get the engine rebuild done.

3. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I'll get some for you when I get back to work on it.

4. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    1601163653745_7805182643_3b56b037.jpg 1601163653776_48111417_3b56b037.jpg

5. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Got the hilux home today. 5 years to the day the first time i brought it home. Not without trouble. Got the left tie rods done and will do the right side and pitman arm this week. Just with that one side I lost a lot of play. While taking the tie rod off the banjo bolt for the brakes stated to leak and lost brakes. It barely had any meat and started to strip when i installed it. Capped off the front and bleed the rear just to get on the road. It was only a 2 mile journey but at the first light I realized just running rears is a bad idea. Nearly skidded through a stop light. The wet road didn't help. Made it home though with no trouble from the motor. Speedo is working. Still need to calibrate it. Pretty happy though.

6. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    So I bought a parking brake cable for a 3rd gen 2wd I think it was and it works. You need a clamp to take up the slack but other then that its good. Now I can park the truck on my slanted driveway.

7. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Got my wideband installed the other day and installed my electric exhaust valve today. Got it from badlanzhpt. They seemed to be the only one selling a kit that isn't a wish kit for under $200. Made in America with a 5 year warranty for 160 or so. Damn good deal. Its just dumping right under the cab. Still need to get a turn down. Got my exhaust extended under the bed. Had to remove the old tank to get the room. Still need to make hangers. Right now its just resting on the cross support. I'll get those in next week after I can an extension cord for the welder. Using the rocker switch that came with it but I got a switch on order to match my others. 1602190344700_762958592_3b56b037.jpg

8. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
  9. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    An update on the hybrid. Been fighting it a bit. First problem the head gasket didnt seal. Had an external leak with the shim and thicker headgasket. I used a normal headgasket and timed the cam so it didn't hit the pistons. Dont know why I didn't do this in the first place. Just thought I don't want to lose any lift. At that time I also ripped of the gasket for the air injection block off plate at the back of the head and used gasket maker. Got it together and the block off still leaked and the coolant system seemed to pressurize to fast. First thought was the headgasket and it has pushed the gasket maker out. But that could be just a bad application. Today my brother came to help with his coolant sniffer and after about 30 minutes of trying to get the fluid to change color it didnt. No external coolant leaks from the gasket either. So I think I just need to fix the coolant leak from the back of the head get the air out and I can get to tuning. Another thing my wideband is showing dead lean. Might be the gauge but I did take the airflow meter and check the carbs and they were out of balance and I'm getting spitting. Haven't touched them really yet. Last thing was the rear main. It leaked after install so I had to pull it out. It was fun pulling the transmission on the ground. Had to buy a transmission jack that took forever to get to me. I couldn't pull the oil pan out all the way. I messed up the crank scrapper pulling the pan that I had to cut it out. Not like I really need it. I should everything sorted out before to long.

10. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Oh found out about this tool called color tune. It takes place of the sparkplug and gives you a window to see the combustion in the chamber. Seems to be one of the best way to tune sidedrafts.

11. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Finally got air filters on the carbs. Really need them to keep me from sucking in a bunch of leafs. Had to get 16mm volcity stacks to run the 1 3/4" filters. Swapped out a few houses and clamps as well. If you ever need nice clamps and don't know the size to get I found you will use 3 that are 40mm to 44mm and one at 43 to 49mm on the timing cover. I think I'm running a 10mm to 13mm on the overflow bottle. Going to go through and replace all my clamps. Still need to hook up the heater core. Picked up some line but didn't know it was for AN fittings only. So got to order some of those. If it wasn't for the windows fogging up I would brave it out. Dont want to ride around all winter with open windows and no heat. Anyways a pic of the bay with said filters. 1604724113630_8347701608_3b56b037.jpg

Ivey and Perkolator like this.
  12. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Might of just bought a new hood. Found a guy on Facebook selling a bunch of nos parts. What made me message him was seeing the 72 to 74 grill and being in Thailand. Just waiting on a price. As long as its not way to much I'll probably buy it.

13. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Anyone know anyone selling the 20r/22r hybrid valve cover stickers. I emailed the company I got this screenshot from but they didn't have it. Also talked to a dude that sources the regular ones but no luck. Screenshot_20201110-083552_Google.jpg

14. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I cant remember where i got mine from. And i wish i did in case i need a replacement

15. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Probably them. It was the only place that had them. If I would of bought it 2 months ago I would have it.

16. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    When I saw this yesterday I looked for a few minutes to see if I could find them. Closest I got was a seller on Etsy who’s item description said their 22re-t valve cover stickers were custom and made by them - so maybe they could custom make the hybrid sticker for you if the other source doesn’t have them.

17. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    The guy I talked to said he could make them but doesn't have the material they used on the valve cover. It would be a regular sticker not heat resistant. Did the seller mention they are heat resistant?

18. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I think I found the seller you are talking about @Perkolator. Same guy I talked to.

19. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Decided it was finally time to get the front brakes bleed. Didnt go well. The wheel cylinder or line is messed up. Going to do the wheel cylinder first. Dont really know where to get the line that goes between the 2 cylinders so I hope its not that. Started messing with the carbs. Still waiting on my color tune kit but figured I would get to it without it. Add after doing all that I pretty much know my o2 is no good. Had it pretty rich at one point backfiring through the exhaust and no change on the gauge. Still full lean. I hit up aem hoping they will send me a new o2 soon. Got it running decent though. Doesn't sound like a tractor when I open the exhaust. Sounds decent. I don't think the lady that pulled up to take a phone call liked it. Super loud.

20. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Just a thought: isn't backfiring caused by lean mixtures? I think (at one time) the theory was a too lean mixture doesn't fire in the cylinder and the raw fuel escapes and pools up in the exhaust manifold...

Maybe your O2 sensor is correct?