4x4 beds????

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by Badlux, May 13, 2008.

1. Badlux

Badlux Enthusiast

Truck:
    87 xtra cab
    Can someone teach me about 84-88 4x4 beds? I know they have the flared wheel wells, but whats the diference in a regular 4x4 bed and a California 4x4 bed? I also notice that there are some beds without that lip looking thing right under the top rail? Do the 4x4 beds come like that or are they shaved??? I hope I made sense:rolleyes:

2. Darrin87

Darrin87 Member

Truck:
    87 xcab long bed 22r
    in 84-88 there was 2 style of beds made, 1 the factory "jap" bed which has the lip under the top rail and on the tailgate, also had no flares. 2 the american style bed was built in california, which has no lip under top rail and has the nice 4x4 style flares. It all depends on how the truck was ordered to what kind of bed you would get on the truck when it was new. You could get either bed on 2wd or 4wd.

3. smctoy

smctoy Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 xcab...
    This is the style bed & front fenders youll most likey want to use. Also most of the 2wd extra-cab trucks came with the 4x4/flared bed as well too, so you
    may be able to see if there is a 2wd truck there that has one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1987 Toyota 2wd JT4RN50 Airbagged custom
    . . . and there was a difference in the tailgates as well, Ive seen trucks with 2 lever latches and ones with a single handle in the center. Frinzo has the latches, and my truck has the single handle, both trucks are 87's and have the JAP bed ( which is my favorite ). Im totally not up to the exact reason for this because Ive heard way to many conflicting forum posts around. . .

5. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    yes personally i like the lip on the bed, that is y i have it. :) and my next truck on bags will most likley have it also :)

6. smctoy

smctoy Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 xcab...
    Here are some pics of trucks with lip bed...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    lip bed w/4x4 fenders on the front...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    C, the lip on those trucks look hot as hell, breaks up the lines from the american beds and gives it hella awesome personality. Im totally with Frinzo, hot sh*t there. . . Can anyone add more on the tailgates to go along with these beds ?

8. smctoy

smctoy Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 xcab...
    There were two different types of tailgate latches on the lip beds. If you look in the pics I posted above youll see the the baby blue Toyota has the latch in the middle. I once owned a 88 model with the lip bed & the latches were on the ends like the early 80-83 model trucks were. Ill try to find a pic of one with the latches on the end.

9. Badlux

Badlux Enthusiast

Truck:
    87 xtra cab
    Those pics with the lip are 2wd beds right??? Does the 4x4 bed come with the lip and the flares???

10. smctoy

smctoy Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 xcab...
    The pics of the beds with the lip are 2wd & the only trucks that had both the lip & the 4x4 flare were in Japan or Australia. The trucks that were sent to the states had either the 2wd with the lip or the 4wd with the flare.

11. slacker

slacker Addict

Truck:
    84-7m-GTE custom
    no no no .. you got it all wrong ..

the beds with the lips were shipped world wide by toyota , except to The US . YOU guys (USA) were the the ONLY place in the world with a "fleet" side , or "smooth" side for the 84-88 trucks ...

reason was .. was import laws ..

the "fleetside" bed was built , and installed at the port in California .. eastern imports were mostly the Japan beds , but in the USA , few Toyotas were imported in the east , most came from California .

here in Canada .. we do not have the "fleetside" bed .. only the "lip" style .

12. Badlux

Badlux Enthusiast

Truck:
    87 xtra cab
    Huh? Now I'm confused? So here in the U.S. all 4x4 beds were the smooth fleet side??? because I see alot of 4x4 beds with the lip here and its harder to find the so called California bed without the lip.

13. slacker

slacker Addict

Truck:
    84-7m-GTE custom
    read it again ...
    there were/are two ports of entry back then .. east coast , and west coast ..

"fleetside" beds were built in the USA , California , for the USA market only .. no longer in production .. with limited #'s of good ones left .

14. StupidSheet

StupidSheet Addict

Truck:
    91 V6 SR5 Xtracab, 87 22RE 4x4, 73 HiLux 18R SR5
    Slacker is right. Most Canadians who like Toyotas crave the fleet side bed because it's something we don't see very often up here. It's a much cleaner look IMO but I guess it all depends on what you get accustomed to.

15. Badlux

Badlux Enthusiast

Truck:
    87 xtra cab
    Thanks for the info guys. I bumped into this guy today that has built lots of 84-88 yota trucks. he was looking at my truck and trying to figure out what model I actually had because I have a sun roof, power mirrors and gauge panel has a tach with no white squares. He told me that my truck should have a cali bed on it. I dunno, he was looking at my vin numbers and everything. Is there a site that has the history of the yota truck? Looks like there were so many options at the time. It sure would be interesting to find out what trucks came with what parts.

16. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    there is a sticker on the bed inbetween the cab and bed. you might be able to see it with a lil mirror on a stick but its easier to see if you just take the bed off. it would say where the bed was made and installed.

17. Ratyota

Ratyota Newbie

Truck:
    1985 regular 22r
    This is my truck with the "jap" bed and the 2 latches!

Attached Files:

18. dailydragger

dailydragger Enthusiast

the 2wd front fenders look so much better laid out!

19. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    . . . Couldnt agree with you more. . . But, with custom paint and such itll look hella better. . . and yes. . . Ill wash the turd and show off the dual battery setup w/ Optimas and NEW custom valance and more . . .

[​IMG]

20. slowlux

slowlux Newbie

Truck:
    '86 Hilux 2wd Diesel
    Cool! I didn't know that. I always wondered why some of the trucks on here have no lip on the bed. I thought that they were customised.