4wd front end on 2wd

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by FOKAI12, Sep 7, 2009.

1. FOKAI12

FOKAI12 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1992 Reg Cab
    I am about to purchase the 4wd chrome bumper on ebay do I need to buy any brackets to make it fit on my 2wd truck. I already have the 4wd fenders, what else do I need to purchase to complete the conversion. Will the corner lights fit or is the 4wd different from the 2wd. Here is the link to the bumper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360179838245&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Also will this Headlight como fit my truck.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220466643045&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thanks guys for your help. I just don't want to buy this if it will not fit. Is the 2wd, 4wd and 4runner front end all interchangable, ie, the fenders, grille, bumper and valance

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. rajzswap

rajzswap Addict

Truck:
    89 2jz pickup
    I believe they are interchangable. Theres a video on youtube of a 90' 1jz pickup and I think he has the 4runner front end. just search 1jz pickup, you'll find it. Good luck with it and post pics. hopefully someone on here know more about the exterior mods. Im a under the hood knowledge guy :)

3. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Should have kept... '88 4x4 22RE
    You'll need brackets and a bumper filler (unless you want a gap like my 4x4's got), the 4WD front end sticks out further.

Corner lights are different, I didn't know that when I swapped on a 2WD chrome grille, the 4x4 grilles and lamps don't have that little lip at the bottom.

4. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Should have kept... '88 4x4 22RE
  5. smctoy

smctoy Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 xcab...
    The 2wd & 4wd parts are alittle different, but if you already have the 4wd fenders then the corner lights & headlights on ebay should bolt up. Also the 2wd bumper brackets are different from the 4wd ones. On the 88 2wd Toyota I had I swapped out the front end to 4wd & changed everything...grill, bumper, valance & fenders.

6. FOKAI12

FOKAI12 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1992 Reg Cab
    Thanks for the info, I am not sure what and where I can get the bumper filler do you have any pics and info where I can get one.

Thanks

7. TRDTUNERSR5

TRDTUNERSR5 Newbie

Truck:
    1988 RN50

i have a 88 2wd, sotck fenders and bumper. would a 4wd 3 piece grill fit in with no problems?

8. smctoy

smctoy Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 xcab...
    Yes...I have seen the 3-piece 4wd grill used with 2wd sheet metal before.

9. TRDTUNERSR5

TRDTUNERSR5 Newbie

Truck:
    1988 RN50
    thanks.. i saw one on ebay for $60... i might get it..

10. 915toy

915toy Member

so the corner lights for the 2wd and 4wd are different? My current set up is 4wd fenders, with a 2wd grille, and 4wd bumper and valance, will the 2wd corner lights fit good since its a 2wd grille?

im just waiting on my brackets to come in to fit my 4wd bumper good

11. 915toy

915toy Member

i picked up some 4runner bumper brackets from an 85, but i noticed the 2wd brackets are a little bigger and was a little hesitant at first to get them from this guy, but he gave me the brackets, chrome bumper and the bumper filler for 15 bucks.

im out of town right now so cant go and try to fit them until next week, but was wondering if anyone can say whether or not these brackets i bought would do the work, are the 2wd brackets a little bigger than the 4wd? shoot i hope these work by the time i get back home, otherwise i just burned 15 bucks lol