2wd lifted??

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by laughnowcrylater, Sep 4, 2011.

1. laughnowcrylater

laughnowcrylater Member

I have a 94 single cab 2wd 5speed and was wondering if a 3 inch body lift would be enough to fit 31x10.50x15 with 15x8 rims.. I plan on re-gearing to a 4.10 or 4.56 ratio... I recently Have had to start driving to work which consists of several construction sites in the beginning stages ( muddy).. I also hunt an fish and could use the larger tires.. I plan on swapping to 4wd fenders .. I don't need 4 wheel drive just the larger tires and the gearing to turn them over.. Any one have any experience with this or any pictures? Any input is appreciated.. Thanks guys

2. ChickenTaco

ChickenTaco Enthusiast

Truck:
    1987 long bed
    IMHO you are better off spending your time and money doing a suspension lift. Body lifts are ugly and won't do anything for ground clearance.

3. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
    it will rub, badly.
    get a set of fabtech or dowey UCAs and some lift spindles and do the rest with your torsions. for the back, some lift shackles will do the trick pretty cheaply. with all that you shouldnt have any problem clearing 31's.

4. yota4life

yota4life Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    Always check on CL for lift stuff. I seen some for a yota up here

5. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic Addict

Truck:
    '79 4x4,'89 short-bed 2wd, '85 4Runner
    2wd lift stuff is expensive. I'd look for a wrecked up '79-'84 and start collecting parts for a solid axle conversion. If you know how to weld or have a buddy with a welder and find a $500 wrecked 4x4 Yota, you should be able to pull off the solid axle conversion on roughly the same budget as buying control arms and lift spindles. Maybe a bit more by the time you get your steering hooked up, depending on if you go straight to a tall lift with crossover steering. That adds a few hundred to the expense right there.

6. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    solid axle is a hell of a long way to go to run just 31's, plus it adds a ton of weight. and if he were going to go that far, might as well throw the transfer case and the rest of the parts in to make it a 4x4.
    for spindles, used fabtech ones if you can find them or Obsessed Motorsports and Fabrication and also found these TOYOTA 4" LIFT SPINDLES - { 1984 - 1995 } 2wd
    found these arms too 1984-1995 Toyota 2WD upper arm lift
    do that stuff and run a bilstein shock and you will have a pretty decent setup for trails and fire roads. id also look for a locker or LSD for the rear axle.

7. Shadetree Mechanic

Truck:
    Yeah. That is what I meant. Just make it a 4x4. If it costs the same amount roughly, it seems like a lot more bang for the buck to me. He could still run 31s on stock springs for now if he wanted to (if he gets the 4x4 fenders) and add a lift later on and some 33s or even 35s on the stock running gear. I mean I don't know all that much about his situation, but when I hear hunting rig, I think of situations where it would be an advantage to have 4x4 when you need it. There are situations where 2wd lifts make sense too, but mostly with desert trucks IMO.

As far as a locker in the rear, you can just weld it. Toyota axles hold up great to being welded. I've been running one for years now in a almost daily driven truck.

8. patrickgraven

patrickgraven Veteran

Truck:
    93 2wd pickup "home depot" / 2004 Toyota Sequoia 4x4
    Ok my truck used to be lifted this way. If you are going to run 31's 4.56 will be perfect for that tire. I wouldnt recomend a body lift, as they are cheap to do, it puts extra stress on the body mounts and requires the shifter to be lengthened. You can run 31's with 2wd fenders, but you will need to make the pinch weld on the firewall flat to avoid rubbing. I dont know about the 4wd fenders, but I had fiberglass ones and the tires never rubbed. I would look on the various offroad sites for used arms and torsion bars. Put them on and crank them up and you will be good to go. For the rear 31's fit with no lift. You can run them stock in the rear.

9. ChickenTaco

ChickenTaco Enthusiast

Truck:
    1987 long bed
    You guys make this super complicated..He isn't looking for a huge project just some ground clearance. Lift spindle and some shackles will do just fine. Like I said above, body lifts are ugly and won't do a thing for ground clearance but to convert to a 4x4 would be over kill for what he wants to do.

10. Shadetree Mechanic

Truck:
    Alright, alright... I accept the blame. :p My bad. Hey, I'm just saying what I would do. It is by no means the "best" or only option. Just throwing it out there in case he hadn't considered that the cost of 2wd lift components are almost equal to purchasing a wrecked 4x4 and doing a SAS.

11. ChickenTaco

ChickenTaco Enthusiast

Truck:
    1987 long bed
    Yeah it would be cool. 2wd lift parts aren't THAT bad honestly. You can build a set of shackles yourself easily. And with just lift spindles and shackles it's not bad at all.

12. laughnowcrylater

laughnowcrylater Member

I don't bottom out and get stuck I just need bigger tires really.. I was told a 2 inch body lift, torsion bars cranked up and new, longer Springs with 4 wd fenders would run 31 inch tires.. I'm just looking for a cheap way to get high lol.. It's not a show truck just a go truck.. I drive it to work and to the woods and thats it.. Anytime I go anywhere else we take the wifes car, 2010 gmc terrain...

13. Shadetree Mechanic

Truck:
    :ROFL:

Well in that case go for it! I bet that would work with the 2" bodylift. You could crank up the torsion bars and add some longer shackles. I doubt you really even need to do the longer leaves.:waytogo:

14. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Add a leaf, longer shackles, crank torsions and u should be good

15. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    [​IMG]
    this is my truck about 4 years ago. it had 235/75-15 tires (about 28'' tall) 2'' 4crawler.com body lift, cranked up torsions, low profile bump stops, pinch weld flattened, and fabtech UCAs. the rear was lifted with downey 2'' shackles. my 235s did not rub with the body lift but it was damn close, like 1/2'' clearance when turned. if you were to go this route but with the torsions cranked up all the way to clear the bigger 31s, its going to ride like its solid mounted. the front end will have no droop travel because it will basically be maxed out at ride hight. thats why i am suggesting spindles. yes they cost some coin but with them, you could get it to ride almost like stock with the right shocks and torsion setting, and you should have no problems with 31s.

16. ChickenTaco

ChickenTaco Enthusiast

Truck:
    1987 long bed
    Agreed cranking up the torsion bars is not a route I would suggest. My fullsize chevy has them cranked up real high and it sucks.

17. laughnowcrylater

laughnowcrylater Member

So lift spindles, longer shackles and a 2 inch body should get me on 31s? With a little torsion bar adjustment??

18. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    id say yes, and it should still have a pretty decent ride quality too. just dont go over a 2'' body lift. if you go to a 3'' you have to extend and move a lot of things that you dont with a 2''. things like steering shaft extension, shifter extension, clutch line, brake lines ect.

19. spknucklehead

spknucklehead Newbie

you dont need a body lift to clear 31s.if your running a spindle or torsions. if you can find some sway away power bars get those. they ride nice an give you a 3 inch lift. or spindles. i have a set im gonna part with here shortly. there also a 3 inch lift. you can find cheap 3-4 shackels for the rear for less than 60 bucks. my 89 had sway away torsions an a bilstein shock with an camburg upper arm an the ride was nice on road/off road an i cleared 31s. yhe after market arms dont give you an lift they just correct the balljoint angle. if you want some good sites to find this stuff PMme an ill direct you. you can lift your truck for less than 200 bucks with good parts that ride nice

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  20. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    your truck would be much more versatile even with just 29" tires, 3"BL, BJ spacers up front, 1" torsion adjust, and some axle under leafs in the rear.