22r valve cover baffle

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Tempura670, Jul 30, 2021.

1. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Saipan? I found a spare in my garage, but that's a bit far to drive.

For a bottom tap try Amazon or ebay. If available to you Grainger or McMaster Carr. Might be something more local to you than I know about for tools.

Tempura670 and Erwin Merida like this.
  2. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Sounds like it might be easier, and maybe cheaper, to find someone to weld up the hole. You can then grind flat and polish yourself, later. I'd at least look into it before using the JB; JB will contaminate the metal and make welding harder and more work ($$$)...

VBOLIS, Tempura670 and Erwin Merida like this.
  3. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Yeah I would find a welding shop. Such a small weld a good shop would probably stop what they are doing and not even charge you.

Tempura670 and Erwin Merida like this.
  4. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    That thought never even crossed my mind! That would be a good idea!

Tempura670 likes this.
  5. Tempura670

Tempura670 Member

I drilled through the VC again... :duh:

This time it was really my fault. I was drilling my last tap thats was too short and got trigger happy.

Okay fine.. i will return the jb weld and do it right.

6$ jb weld vs paying a shop 20$ to tac it up. I would save money instead of having the jb weld fail and having to start over.

VBOLIS likes this.
  6. Tempura670

Tempura670 Member

7. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    I dnt remember if it's a 2gb or 4gb limit. Others use image hosts like imgur.

Tempura670 likes this.
  8. Tempura670

Tempura670 Member

Took it to the machine shop that could weld aluminum. 15$

I'm not sure if I want to grind it down. what if i grind it down and it's too thin. But I do feel like it penetrated just enough. Thank yall for suggesting to weld it.

Im cutting 2 bots a little so it sits flush in the 2 front rivets that are shallow.

also bad news again. I discovered a tiny hole in the rear rivet. Back to the machine shop tomorrow.

9. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Use a flat file to cut the weld booger flush. To prevent scratching the head you can put tape on the section of the file that won't cut the weld material. Finish with fine sandpaper wrapped around the file. One thing you might get is a visual difference between the weld and cast aluminum, different alloys. Take your time and things should turn out good,

10. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Here is a tip on polishing aluminum and other soft metals when you get back to that. When you're sanding it's all about how well you sand through the courser grits. Smooth and even as you work up. Aluminum is one you can stop around 220 and move to a variable speed polisher with airways using cutting and polishing compounds. The other thing about cast parts is tons of flaws. You can run into pitting as you sand. Depending on you expectations of your finish will decide how much you want to work on the little things.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  11. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Another thing that works well for getting a nice polish is steel wool. A little dish washing liquid to keep things moving smoothly and it comes out real nice.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  12. Tempura670

Tempura670 Member

Went to the machine shop to cover up the 3rd hole.. they didn't charge me anything. Decided to leave the welds. Im scared if I grind it down and expose a hole.

No primer. just used the can straight. Do you guys really shoot paint 8-10 inches like the can says? I was wondering why there was specs of white. I did like 5 coats. 80% of the can.

I shot the paint in an old dog house which helped with the wind. Its kinda hard to paint when you have to run away to take a breath and wait for the over spray to settle.

[​IMG]

Erwin Merida likes this.
  13. Tempura670

Tempura670 Member

I just put a thin coat of the gasket maker with my finger right? I wish I had the baffle gasket but I don't.

14. Tempura670

Tempura670 Member

edit: When painting it did look like specs of white but it it dried into a sandy texture.

15. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    As far as a swal for the baffle? Chances are it really isn't necessary to use a seal. The baffle will still do it's job keeping bulk oil out of the PCV system.

16. Tempura670

Tempura670 Member

Sirduce I know right?

The baffle is exposed on the rear anyways with fins with holes on the inside.