1988 standard cab

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by red88, Dec 31, 2014.

1. red88

red88 Newbie

My dad bought this new in 88. It is the base model with the 4 speed manual, no a/c or power steering. I wanted this truck so bad when I was 16, but he never would give it up. Last week he calls me up and asks if I want it now. I said hell yeah even though I don't really want another standard cab pickup. I am super sentimental when it comes to vehicles. I still drive my 1981 4x4 daily to work that I bought when I was 20. The 88 has 685k on it and finally blew the original headgasket. I have a 20/22r hybrid that I ran in my RA21 backed with a W58 from an 83 Celica that will be going in it for now. It has the 3.07 diff and I have a 3.9 if I end up running bigger wheels. 3.07 will run 185/60/14 and 3.9 225/60/17. Not sure if 185 will be enough rubber on the road. [​IMG]
    I will continue to update as I go. I will upload more pics soon.
    20141229_163332 (1).jpg

2. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    685k!!!!

I guess mine, with 185k, has a long, long way to go! :) :) :)

3. red88

red88 Newbie

So I have been cleaning up the cab and removed a little rust in a few spots. The master brake cylinder had leaked at some point and where the paint came up some of that had a little surface rust. I think a bottle of brake fluid leaked from behind the drivers seat also. I wire wheeled that down and primed and painted with some enamel that I had. It's still red it matches kind of. Really didn't matter what color because I am going to put some peel and seal down and cover it. I used it on my 81 and think it works great. Just order a carpet kit for it for $129 shipped from jc whitney. My normal places like ebay and rockauto were more for the same brand and style.

Attached Files:

4. red88

red88 Newbie

Here is the little motor going in it. It started as the original 22r in my 81 4x4. I rebuilt it stock added a 32/36 weber and nwor header. Drove it for 15k or so and then the truck went out of commission for awhile. A few years go by and I pick up a 73 celica. So I buy a 20r head on ebay that is ported and has 22r valves in it. I have it checked out by a local machine shop and it's in good shape. I bolt it on my 22r block with a new head gasket and bolts. I bought a mild crane cam from summit and port stock intake to match head. I drive the celica for a few years and maybe 30k later I park her. Motor has 50kish but has been sitting now for awhile. I have done the carb and intake gasket just because it was off, but am just changing the oil. I think it will be fine.

Attached Files:

5. tylerzettner

tylerzettner Member

Truck:
    82 Hilux
    i run 185 60 14. plenty of rubber the road

Attached Files: