1983 Toyota Pickup Project

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by 83Yota, Sep 27, 2013.

1. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    A 20r head is a direct swap to an 81-84 22r block. The 81/82 had a dual row timing chain, 83/84 had a single row of teeth. I can't recall if the front cover plate is the same, but the 20r is the same as the 81/82. I used my old cover plate on my 81 block. Head is a 20r. You need the intake manifold from the 20r. No swapping between those. But the 20r intake flows way better, as does the head. Use a 22r head gasket and either motors head bolts since they're the same length.

As for trans, I originally had a W50 but I grenaded it in Granada :lol: all gears but 4th vanished into fat air. So I swapped in a W52. Used an odd combo of my old bellhousing and clutch fork parts, so I had to try a few clutch slaves til I found one with enough throw. The internal piston diameter determines travel it pushes the clutch release fork. Smaller goes further since the fluid doesn't fill as much space inside. But using all the parts off the same trans it should all bolt up easy. Part of that was me carpeting my floor very thick, so I needed less pedal throw too.

I see no benefit in going to RE. it starts easier in the cold, but has limitations in the computer how far you can build the motor up. I can run a bigger cam and intake/exhaust setup with a weber than a stockish ECU tuning. But the early trucks and celicas (81-85ish) is the simplest setup as far as harness and sensors, so use that if you do decide that route.

There is no factory way to run EFI with a 20r head though. back to the intake bolt pattern mentioned. Just take a ride in my 78 sometime and you'll see how much power the 20/22 combo can make. It'll chirp the tires in 3rd on a cold day.

2. 83Yota

83Yota Member

Truck:
    83 2WD
    Update

Yankee are you willing to sell that gauge cluster, and its the one with the RPM gauge? thanks for the tip on the rust!

And Byker maybe we'll have to meet up and you can bring those side vents, and i want to see your truck in person, probably take a ride in it :lol:. Maybe you can give me a few tips on the 20/22r setup you have. I probably wont go RE because i like carburetors, and the simplicity of them.

So over the weekend i painted the headlight buckets, i don't have pictures right now, But i do have a few shots of the truck from over the weekend. I'll post some pictures of the headlight buckets tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  3. 83Yota

83Yota Member

Truck:
    83 2WD
    Update

Hey guys, so i got the pictures of the headlight buckets painted like the grille and i think i need to put accents of some type on them, not sure yet.

How do you guys think they turned out?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. yankeetaco72

yankeetaco72 Veteran

Truck:
    82 short /97 Tacoma
    It looks great cause thats what i did to mine. Ill sell it to you, plus Ive got two pretty straight front bumpers too. Ive also got the factory black mirrors. If youre interested Ive also got the set of round headlights to do the conversion.. I can check on shipping if youre really interested on parts. I think i also have a fresh dash pad that has one small pinky size crack, otherwise its completely almost brand new tan.:waytogo:

5. 83Yota

83Yota Member

Truck:
    83 2WD
    My dash pad is in great condition, has a scratch. But you should definitely send me a pm with the prices for the mirrors, gauge cluster, and Bumber plus a few pics of everything, and I would want the grille more then the headlights because I can get the headlights cheap at oreilly. Thanks yankeetaco

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  6. 83Yota

83Yota Member

Truck:
    83 2WD
    So i have 4 or 5 inch blocks ill be making, not sure if thats too much but i guess well find out :lol:

7. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I have 4.5" blocks with a pulled center leaf and relaxed shackle bushings. Sits great but smacks the frame alot.

8. 83Yota

83Yota Member

Truck:
    83 2WD
    Mine already hits frame alot but i still have 2 inches, and im planning a notch so plenty more room to come.lol

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  9. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I need a notch. Not sure how crazy I'm gonna get with this truck. Wanna start another Lux.

10. 83Yota

83Yota Member

Truck:
    83 2WD
    I had a 76 I sold that the guy blew the engine then scrapped it. I still regret selling it to him.

11. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Oh well. They made tens of hundreds of these trucks. There's always another one. Hours is coming along pretty well. Don't beat the motor too hard until you at least inspect the timing chain and set the valves. And yeah, when we meet for parts you can take a shotgun seat ride and see how the motor combo runs. I don't think side drafts would help much. I squeezed most of the power out of this engine. I've been thinking about selling it come spring time and getting another one. Anyways, let me know when ya wanna get together.

12. 83Yota

83Yota Member

Truck:
    83 2WD
    Thanks, and will do.

13. 83Yota

83Yota Member

Truck:
    83 2WD
    Hey guys, i was thinking this winter i was going to paint the truck. im not sure what color to go with though. i already have a metallic flake green, but im not sure if that would look good.

What do you guys think I should do?

14. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I think any fresh paint would look good. A bright green always looks great in Toyotas. My buddy works at a paint shop in Seattle, I work there part time. Let me know if ya want a hand prepping it for paint and doing any body mods before paint.

15. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Basic stuff id do to an older yota before paint would be shaving the antenna, emblems, mirror holes and bed seams. Stuff that's subtle but really cleans it up when its shiny again.

16. 83Yota

83Yota Member

Truck:
    83 2WD
    I have a guy who will spray the paint for me, for free. i just need to do all the prep, and im planning on shaving everything already so ill start soon. its a bright bright boat flake metallic green not sure how it will look but i guess a free new paint job isn't a bad idea for almost any color lol.

17. mikelx5

mikelx5 Newbie

love seeing that mine isnt the only one in the area getting love (even though it needs more). im from tacoma myself. i love that stance, wish i could rock it but mines a hauler.

18. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I just got a welder, so find a later model front bumper and we can make some brackets to fit it. And start shaving everything. I wanna start fabbing up crossmembers and notches for the older trucks so we can test bed some stuff.

19. 83Yota

83Yota Member

Truck:
    83 2WD
    Cool! Right now she is in the shop. I'm doing the body drop, and ill start looking for a bumber!

20. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Rad. Doing a body drop with a static huh? My buddy did that to an 88. I may end up with it soon. They come out super low.