1982 SR5 Affordable Fuel Injection install

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Hillbilly1, Mar 13, 2022.

1. Hillbilly1

Hillbilly1 Newbie

Got it back together, idle is lower, but still too high. Cut the throttle cam off the old carb, and adapted it to the throttle body. Truck has a lot more power, and quicker throttle response. Since it’s OBD 1, I can’t look up the sensor readings.

Attached Files:

2. Hillbilly1

Hillbilly1 Newbie

Found an OBD1 scanner that shows more than just codes, $300! Ouch! When I already have an ODB II scanner. Never thought I would need an ODB I. Another minus for AFI, using antique equipment!

3. Hillbilly1

Hillbilly1 Newbie

Blew $300! Yeah, it checks OBI, but will not show data. Needed a new one anyway I guess, as my old one was about 10-15 years old anyway. But did have a code for high map sensor voltage, though the cel wasn’t lit. Started playing with the tps and throttle stop, rpm’s are a lot closer to what they need to be now. 1000 rpm, should be 700, but the factory tach may not be playing well with the new ignition system. Idles smooth though. Found out the air cleaner stud they sent with it is too short. Pulled one out of another throttle body I had laying around, it was two inches longer. On top of that, the hole in the throttle body where it screws in has been stripped out.

4. Hillbilly1

Hillbilly1 Newbie

Back to working on it, parts are getting hard to get! Finally found an intake gasket, if it ever stops raining again, I’m pulling the intake to see if there’s any cracks or fittings underneath I missed plugging. Replacing the brakes on all four corners, got new 10.50-31 mudders, sandblasting the factory wheels, and so far, they are looking much better. Will post pic’s when I get it back together.