1977 Toyota Pickup RN23 "bluyota"

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by 77bluyota, Feb 2, 2021.

1. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    1977 Toyota RN23 Shortbed
    OK Some updates on progress> I got some new plugs/wires and in the process of taking the old ones out one of the holes got stripped. (lessoned learned- when you have a preteen helping make sure you explain the process VERY well about socket resistance and angles) So I had the pleasure of retapping one of those all the while puckering tight so I didn't destroy the head. I got it taken care of and its running smoother than it has since I got it. I also have on order new points/rotor/cap as well as a new ACCEL super coil. Hopefully those get in this week! I considered getting a DUI combo system but at over 300 it was a bit cost prohibitive at this time. I replaced all the radiator Hoses and did a thorough flush and boy it was nasty in there. If I had common sense I should have replaced all the heater hoses but they look in better condition and at the time and I just spaced it. I did a little cleaning in the engine bay with super clean degreaser and boy it worked well. I have seen people use power washers for engines in the past but boy that seems like it could be sketchy with electrical components. Any one have success with that? Well that's it for today.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  2. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Degreaser is the way to go. I just used an ac coil cleaner for rinsing.

77bluyota likes this.
  3. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    So I stuck my head under the truck a minute ago and pulled back the carpet on the floors... they are so rotted. So i ordered the floor pans for the rn20/25 from down under. They should be here in a month or so.

4. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Been looking at those. Still kind of just want to get a bead roller and make them myself.

5. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    I have been toying with the same but went ahead and pulled the trigger as I am impatient. :) love to know if you do end up going that direction.

6. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    Well my Accel Super Coil came in wed and the rest of the dizzy rebuild should be in today. So I know what my son and I are doing this weekend :) Also I got shipment notification from ebay that my new floorpans are on their way from AU!!! From what I could tell they are flying over so that should mean in the next week I could get them.... Not sure when I will get those installed as it means ripping out the interior and really I should move the truck in the garage if I am going to do that as the carport is a pita to lay on the ground in. Any way thats it for now. i'll post this weekends progress once complete.

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Where did you get the dizzy rebuild parts?

8. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    Oh just OEM stuff from autozone. Nothing special. Truth be told its probably not a true rebuild just points, rotor, and cap.

9. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    You got points on a 77?

10. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    Thats what the book says and when I was looking up parts it had it as needed for my engine and truck. I believe in 78 they changed things up for all trucks but for 77 only California trucks had converted to electronic. I hadn't actually pulled it apart to verify though if mine was cali or not.... meh its easy to return to autozone if I dont need it.

11. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    20210226_113004.jpg

Looks like Points to me but I don't see the condenser on the outside like it is supposed to be.....
    20210226_113656.jpg
    20210226_112547.jpg

12. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Oh gotcha. Should really upgrade to an electronic distributor

13. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Also great to use is electrical cleaner! Brings shit back to life!!

14. RN23CB

RN23CB Member

15. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    Yeah I have seen that and considered it but ive been told by old timer mechanics that as long as you maintain your points they should perform as well. Obvi spending the bucks and going with a DUI is a different story again from what I have heard.

RN23CB likes this.
  16. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I always thought the points was only for a year. I ran the Pertronix ignitor for a while. You keep a new set of points in the glove box but hope you never got to use them. They can't hold up to an electric ignition in the high rmp. Only reason I switched to a dui over the pertronix is I wanted to be sure my mechanical advance worked well and wasn't going to be running vacuum advance. Wish I would of got the 123 service though. That's a system.

17. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    You dont have to adjust the electronic ignition. You have to fiddle with points

18. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    Well I was afforded a few hours sunday to work on the truck. Unfortunately shipping was delayed and I didn't get my dizzy parts till Saturday evening but they did arrive and that was good. The points had a little bit of wear but not too much, the same with the rotor and cap. So I'll put those aside incase I am in a bind and the new ones fail. I took the whole distributor out and gave it a scrub down since it had about a 1/4" of grease covering it. I also cleaned up and repainted the ignition control module(I think that is what its called) while I was at it. I am not thrilled with the amount of wires there are but it is what it is unless I were to switch to a DUI. Being that this is my son's car I wont worry too much about it. Once I got everything put back together I made sure everything was on the right marks and it started right up. Sounds more even now too like it is working less to run the engine. I have a timing light with dwell coming tomorrow so I'll verify timing/advance and also make sure that my gap on the point is correct. I put it to .457 since that is the closest feeler I had. The book calls for .46 and since that is so damn close I didn't think it would make a huge diff and I'll verify the curve with the dwell meter on the timing gun. 20210302_120004.jpg 20210302_120008.jpg 20210302_120015.jpg 20210302_120021.jpg

Erwin Merida and Ivey like this.
  19. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    Well I got my new timing gun in, and I love it! :) Got the idle finally set to the right rpm according to the books and then got the timing set. She is really running strong and clean now. Hardly any puttering or stuttering. I took it up and down the hills in my area and no more dying going down hill so I call that a success. But one this is evidently clear. I need to take care of the brakes next. The rear is non existent and the fronts are wore out. For anyone Curious here is the timing and tune up specs. 20210303_164210.jpg

RN23CB and Ivey like this.
  20. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    Well I was distracted with a new project car for a bit but now that its my daily and I had no serious buyers interested in buying the truck so I guess now that I will have time soon and space again to get back into the truck. I am thinking I will remove the bed here in the next couple weeks so I can start cleaning up the frame and take care of mechanicals in the rear. I'll make sure to capture that process once I get around to it. On a side note it seems like summer seems to stall out lots of project trucks on here so maybe I am in good company. :)

Ivey and Erwin Merida like this.