Wheel fitment and tire question

Discussion in 'Wheels/Tires' started by Don Ganso, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Don Ganso

Don Ganso Newbie

1.) Found some cheap Jeep ZJ Timberline wheels (look like snowflakes, 1996 Grand Cherokee) on Craigslist, 16x7. From what I can tell, they have a 5.5" backspace, but the jeep forums where a little confusing. Will these fit, or do they need a spacer?
    --I also found some 15x8 steels with 4.5" backspace for roughly the same price, but I hesitate to buy them because I can't find a good performance all season for them in a size that isn't super small. Eventually, I'd like to get dedicated wheels and tires for fun vs. daily, but I have to compromise for now.

Which would you pick?

2.) Hypothetically, if I got the jeep wheels, I was looking at Kumho Ecsta 4x II tires. I was wondering if I should get 225/50r16s all around or 205/55r16s on the front with the 225s in the back. I'm not super concerned about the visual, but I will have the 1 ton swaybar in the rear, and I'm guessing I'll be more oversteer than under... Would the skinnier front tire help with that?
    This is all in the planning stages right now, but I don't have a lot of cash to experiment with, so I'd like to get the right wheels and tires the first time.

Thanks!