What's with the low miles?

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by MeVito, Nov 29, 2015.

1. MeVito

MeVito Newbie

I wonder how all used trucks on every AD either 4runner or hilux show about ~150,000 miles, 200,000 max i saw once.

How can someone expect that 25-30 years old truck to have so low miles, i mean there's easy 15 year old cars with 200,000+ specially for work truck.

So does everyone change the dash or spin odometer back or something, is there way to see real mileage somehow say trough Carfax or DMV?

2. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Believe it.

Most people used these trucks for weekend hauling. And the ones ran hard, aren't for sale, they're in the scrap yard.

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    **** i saw a pristine 5th gen a few months back with like 45k for $5000

4. Photomatt

Photomatt Newbie

Truck:
    1989 2WD Pickup
    I have a 1989 base model pickup with only 78,000 miles, that's averages to about 3000 miles a year. I bought it from a couple that used it as the "gardening truck" and it sat in the garage most of the time. Most problems I have is from lack of maintenance and lack of use. It is certainly NOT pristine but it is in pretty good shape for 26 years old.

5. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    I have a 1988 Long Bed 2WD truck with 176,000miles on it.

I think the reason you see trucks with mileage that does not seem to fit with its age is because people buy trucks for a specific reason, such as work, hauling, hobbies, etc., and they get used/abused a lot when new. But trucks, especially older trucks, are so handy to have around that there is no reason to sell if it's paid off when you move on to new hobbies, work or away from whatever the original reason for buying it in the first place so they just sit for long periods of time.

For example, me: I put most of the miles (~160,000) on my truck during the first 11 years, since it was the cheapest, RWD, vehicle I could afford for commuting to my new job. In 1999, I "graduated" to a car and the truck was set aside and driven minimally. Now, I just drive it around the block a few times every week or two to keep the carb from gumming up (again).

So I only put on the rest of the mileage during the last 16 years .

6. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    All good points, My 88 was used alot and rolled up 200K till I sold it in 2002. Then the new owners used it for a garden / grocery getter till 2011 and they put 9K on it. Since i got it back I have only put bout 3-4K on it.