What oil?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by jblaust, Sep 10, 2016.

1. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:
    1994 Pickup Standard Cab Base 22RE Manual
    Doing some work to the truck and while Im in there Im gonna change the oil again. What Oil is recommended for a 22RE?

2. KERTWOOD

KERTWOOD Enthusiast

Truck:
    92 Street Truck
    Depends on mileage. I run 30 weight, but these trucks will run on about anything. They're not like newer vehicles with tiny oil passages that require the thinner weights.

Google this very question and you'll be amazed what people put in these engines.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    jblaust and jetas like this.
  3. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    Don't run 0-20 what ever you do. Hahaha we tried. Gets so thin it slips right past the rings and ends up burning a lot off.

4. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:
    1994 Pickup Standard Cab Base 22RE Manual

Yeah i read up on it. People have a million different opinions about what they run in their trucks. I am running 10w30 now.

5. Hybrid240z

Hybrid240z Newbie

Try this, run 10W-30 this time and check it often in case it is burning off to much. Then stick with it if you are ok with how much it burns off or go with 10W-40 next time if it burns off too much. I also run 10W-30.

6. REDZ

REDZ Enthusiast

i currently run 10w-30 i like how it runs with it ... when i use 20-50 i feel the engine burden.. dosnt respond very well to it :drunk:+ my oil filler cap says 10-30 :waytogo:

7. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Dunno about everyone else but when I read the thread title I was like "Hey, guess I'm not the only one who's checked the oil and said the same thing - wheres the oil?" oops, lol.

I run dino oil in ALL my vehicles. Specifically, Chevron 10w-30 I get at Costco for the ones I change myself. I used to run Castrol high mileage with good results, but that requires me to go to another store and I hate shopping as-is :)

I've read MANY times online that these older 22r-series vehicles DO NOT like to run modern synthetic or thinner oils unless you do it from the beginning == oil getting past seals and burning oil, etc which you probably don't want. So sounds like a waste of money to me.