vibrating when stopping car? gears?

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by mntbiker2008, Apr 3, 2007.

1. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    thanks man... i know i have a warped drum because the parking brake wasnt releasing on the drivers side so i know that didnt help... but it was a reallly rough vibrate... almost shaking... every so often it comes and goes but its hard to tell what i do when it happens.... it happens just randomly to my awareness... its an old truck.... im just gonna drive it till i get a new car...

2. Bakemono

Bakemono Newbie

Truck:
    '99 Ford F-150
    Have you checked the front rotors?

3. 79muttyota

79muttyota Enthusiast

Truck:
    79 sr5
    My guess is that the front tires are out of alignment or out of balance. My Grandfathers old dump truck shakes the hell out of you above 35 mph.All I can say is get the truck checked out by a good mechanic and not some dumb ass.

4. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    i havent checked the front rotors... so far the problem has gone away but the whole truck shakes like crazy when im accelerating arund 40-45 mph... after that... it goes away... ive triedto see if it was just in 4th gear but its not... its in 3rd and 5th... i just had my tires rotated and balanced... but i have noticed... when i have someone else in the truck... i dont notice it as much....

5. Bakemono

Bakemono Newbie

Truck:
    '99 Ford F-150
    I would say the problem is your tires then. Normally if the rotor is warped you only get a vibration under braking. Its possible that your tires are out of round and are going to vibrate no matter how many times you have them balanced.
    If the tires are fairly new, I would go back to where you bought them and see if you can get them replaced. Have the service tech ride with you so that he/she can feel the vibration.
    If the tires are kinda old, just replace them.

6. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    but if it was the tires then wouldnt it do it all the time? this only happens when i push the gas pedal down... comes in from 40- 45 mph or so...

7. Bakemono

Bakemono Newbie

Truck:
    '99 Ford F-150
    If it does it at a certain speed, it could be a tire. However, now that you say it does it when you step on the gas, Im thinking maybe its a driveshaft u-joint.

8. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    how can i tell if its a u joint? what do i look for and where? (sorry.. im a newb at working on my truck)

9. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Get under the truck and try to move the driveshaft near each of the two u-joints on the rear, the front shouldn't turn much when the 4wd isn't engaged.
    If you can get the shaft to move much more than a few thousandths, you may have found it. If the U-joints are greasable and haven't been lubed up in a while, they can fail.
    And usually a driveshaft vibration is more noticable during acceleration and deceleration.

10. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    thats wat it is then! a little while back, i was under there and was able to just keep spining the front drive shaft and it was goin right around no problem... is that wat you are referring to? or the rear driveshaft? that one doesnt move very much at all... barely 1/4 inch... thats when ive got in gear... never tried it out of gear...

11. Bakemono

Bakemono Newbie

Truck:
    '99 Ford F-150
    We are talking about the rear driveshaft. If you can move it a 1/4" that might be where you problem is. You really shouldnt be able to move it at all.

12. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    what would i have to do to get it fixed?

13. Bakemono

Bakemono Newbie

Truck:
    '99 Ford F-150
    Replace the universal joints on the driveshaft. Before you swap out the parts, I would have a mechanic whom you trust look at it.
    I would hate to see you spend the money for new u-joints and only to find thats not where the issue is.

14. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    ok ill have my mechanic take a look at it... im assuming they are going to be pretty expensive?

edit: by the way... i greased up the brackets on the shaft that connect to the tranny... it made the vibrations subside by a little bit for only about 15 miles...

15. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 Member

Truck:
    93 yota pretaco 4x4
    hey guys... back again and i am almost positive i found out what is making this annoying vibration... on my pass. side rear tire, there is an indent in the side just before it starts to curve to the top where the tread is... i havnt checked the other tires but im thinking that is what it is.. idk if this will make my tires go bad faster or not... i have been trying to wear them down though so i can get new ones... the ones on there sVck right now.

16. ateam20x

ateam20x Newbie

Truck:
    '90 4x4
    sorry for late reply, but it seems like a bad u joint...