trouble starting?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Afterbang, May 11, 2014.

1. Afterbang

Afterbang Newbie

Truck:
    87 4runner
    So i bought my 4runner September of '11.
    When i bought it it started fine, first crank everytime. For the last 10 months our so, out won't fire first crank. Even if i only let it turn over 2 our 3 times it will fire second crank, everytime. My first thought was the cold start injector. I pulled it out, ran some wires to it, it's working. I ran some wires to a push Burton switch, even if i fire the injector before i crank it, still doesn't start first try.
    I worked at Oreilys for a while, a kid came in with a celica that had the same problem. We talked for a while, sold him a new fuel pump. Fixed his problem. I thought maybe that's what was happening with my truck, that's why i put the switch in, but I'm pretty sure I'm not losing fuel pressure. Any other thoughts?
    Any help is appreciated.

2. Houa Thao

Houa Thao Enthusiast

Truck:
    91extracab
    Does it make a knock sound like starter tried to engage? Sometimes nothing? Well I can tell you what I did. My second truck was doing this and after changing out starter brush, new starter, and new battery power cable so cured. Got rid of that one. Same thing started on my current ride after a few months. Very frustrated from past expereince. Ask everyone I know who own yota and alot of them have same issue. I think I even ask here too. The only thing they tell me is run extra power cable to cab. Well I try that and still no cure. Now I clean the negative cable at both end ( scrape paint at firewall) and you know what? Since that day I never had to worry anymore. She starts up everytime night or day, hot or cold. Remember power is nothing without good ground. Try it and see or replace the battery ground cable.

3. Afterbang

Afterbang Newbie

Truck:
    87 4runner
    Thanks for the reply. It doesn't have trouble turning over. It cranks fine, it just doesn't start. Almost like it's losing fuel pressure, except I've checked the cold start injector, there's still fuel. I can't figure it out. It's not really a problem, more frustrating than anything.

4. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    These trucks have this problem,it is the low voltage feed to the starter.
    I posted photo's & the fix ,use the search tool.
    I had changed out the starter & did the replace bushes ,problem always came back!!
    I installed a ford starter relay ,problem has not came back!!!:cool:

5. Kev55

Kev55 Enthusiast

I have a very similar issue... my truck was running perfect and cranking on the first stroke but 2 days ago this started happened to me... 22re still runs perfect and drives fine but it takes like 10 cranks until it starts...

I did the same and pulled out the cold start injector and cleaned it out.. also turned it over during, to make sure it was spitting fuel.... so that works...but i did notice when I spray some starter fluid in there it fires right up..

I read it could be the coil... but that's where I'm at now..

6. Afterbang

Afterbang Newbie

Truck:
    87 4runner
    That sounds exactly right, even forcing my cold start injector to fire doesn't seen to have any effect. My ground wires, from batt to block and batt to body were replaced about 6 months ago. I have a new power wire but haven't had time to pout out on yet.

Hey TRUCK ACTION, do you happen to have a part number? I keep trying to search but my "smart" phone closes the search window everytime i open it, before i can type anything.

7. Gr8KornHolio

Gr8KornHolio Veteran

Truck:
    85 regular cab longbed 22R
    I did the same thing Truck Action did. I'll look and see if I still have the part number or box. If not my mother in law is an Orielly's manager and she picked it up for me.

Haven't had a problem since. Course wiring it was a bit of a pain. Didn't come with instructions and I assumed the I terminal went to the ignition. Wrong. Stupid Ford. LOL.

To quick fix mine, I'd crawl under the truck and zap the solenoid connection of the starter with the main battery line to the starter with a jumper wire. Truck would always fire after that. Course knew this wasn't going to work once I dropped it 6+ inches.

8. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Here you go,mounted right on the firewall!:cool:

Attached Files:

9. Kev55

Kev55 Enthusiast

ill try this.. thanks truck action..very helpful!

10. Gr8KornHolio

Gr8KornHolio Veteran

Truck:
    85 regular cab longbed 22R
    Oops, I guess I wired mine wrong. Still works though. I wired the large terminals the same Large wire from battery to one side large wire to starter on the other. I wired the s (switch) terminal to the ignition switch, but i wired the other small terminal labeled i on mine down to the starter solenoid (where the ignition wire used to go). Mine's carbureted, don't know if that matters.

11. Afterbang

Afterbang Newbie

Truck:
    87 4runner
    Thanks TRUCK ACTION, and gr8kornholio! I'm gonna try and give it a shot this weekend. Hopefully it helps.

I really appreciate the input!