Tranny Questions?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Reddawg007, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Reddawg007

Reddawg007 Member

Truck:
    88 Reg cab 22r
    :confused: And no I don't mean those freaks you find on the net. I'm having problems with shifting into first and reverse. Also when I'm driving down the road and take off from first and floor it, it kinda hesitates. But if I let off the gas some it starts to pickup then it takes off. I just put a fuel filter on it because it was sitting in a field for a year I figured it would need it. Also when driving down the road when I pick up speed usually when I get up to 65 or higher the front wheels start to shake any ideas on my problems.:confused:

2. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    if its been sitting in a field for a year there are many problems. your tranny issue sounds like one of a couple possibilities. leaving a vehicle to sit is the worst thing for any car.

first i'd look into the clutch fluid, master and slave cylinder. chances are it could have either air or moisture in the line. i would flush the clutch fluid first since its the cheapest and easiest way to check that. next would be to check the transmission oil. check and or flush it and put new fluid in.

as for the hesitation i would drain the gas tank and run the carb dry till the truck stalled. id then fill it with good fresh gas and a can of sea foam fuel system treatment. this will clean out most of the gunk through the fuel system.

as for your tires, they likely flat spotted from sitting so long. i'd replace them or for the mean time rotate them with the rears but i dont think that'll solve the vibe if they've sat that long.

3. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    For the shaking, check ur tie rods and ball joints. thats the only thing i can think of for that problem. Then what SD said sounds good for everything else..

4. Reddawg007

Reddawg007 Member

Truck:
    88 Reg cab 22r
    would the fuel pump be a problem because the gas hand doesn't work right. It kinda floats around on its own. I never really know how much gas is in there i kinda just guesstimate on if i'm getting low or not. I figured if it wasn't pumping fuel like its supposed to then maybe that would give me a hesitation.

5. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    If ur guage isnt reading right then its probly the fuel tank sending unit or also known as the float. my turbo truck sending unit is bad as it jumps around, hopefully i will get that fixed in the next week or so..