Toyota Minis; help me build my budget all motor engine!

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Beard, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Beard

Beard Member

Okay, after doing a bit of reading about on the internet, a mild all motor build will make between 150-190 depending on what parts I choose and what I do to the block/head.

I don't think that would be enough power for what I want. I wanted over 200whp, I don't think I will see that without mucho dinero.

What about turbocharging?

2. Beard

Beard Member

I found that site last night, it doesn't have any pricing info on it though.

3. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    I think he got it for around $900.

4. Beard

Beard Member

Sheesh, I could do cheaper with a used F.A.S.T. or Motec system.

Does that $900 include the wideband and multi display?

5. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    Yes has a small digital control box that you can put any where you want in side the cab.Iteliminates most sensors,distributer,coil.makes it simple.a good alternative to Itvs

6. whysmee

whysmee Enthusiast

Truck:
    62 toyopet and 76 toyota stout
    Belt drive forced induction sole propane/LPG, unlike gasoline/ petroleum the engine dose not need to have the compression dropped and carb/efi is replaced by the mixer, on sole lpg boost levels can be considerably higher than on gasoline/petroleum and higher power output levels are also obtained without issue to the engine and if somdthing dose go wrong another stock engine is cheap and easy.
    If you Google lpg supercharger as it might be just an Australian thing to get around certain engine swaps and emission laws but on early Australian made Holden straight six engines more power is able to be obtained this way for less money than any other option as it really is only the matter of fitting the supercharger and the gov gives a rebate for fitting lpg

7. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Or you could go 11:5 compression on some 48mm side drafts and a hot cam skip all the ecu stuff and go old school just making over 200hp on a 22re or22r all motor setup quickly becomes not so street friendly. However building a turbo kit and possibly throwing in some low comp pistions arp studs and h beam rods . Could proably get you there and be decently reliable

8. Beard

Beard Member

Yeah, from the looks of it, it is by far cheaper to turbo this thing than to make a 200+whp all motor engine.

I can just FMU it and call it a day. I might still look into that SDS tho, I like the touch screen wideband guage :p

9. whysmee

whysmee Enthusiast

Truck:
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  10. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    I wouldn't try to build a 200hp 22r....
    Unless you got the cash and just buy a lc race motor!

But really, keep it simple, do the basics, and try not to spend too much money. My hybrid is fast for a 22r, but my truck is still pretty pitiful against pretty much everything.

If I was to do it again, a 302 v8 swap or a mild 22r build. The four banger just doesn't have the displacement for an "all out" motor.

7500rpm, compression and twin carbs will make 200hp. Not easy or cheap.

Hope it helps. Oliver R

11. Beard

Beard Member

I am currently building a 1.6l Honda turbo engine that will easily see over 300whp. Why won't this 2.4l make over 200whp?

I will just boost it.

12. Beard

Beard Member

I know how awesome LPG is but I don't think with will suit my needs well. Availability of LPG is not as easy or cheap in the US. It is great for off road applications, but I am looking to use this truck as my track bike hauler and work blaster.

13. whysmee

whysmee Enthusiast

Truck:
    Our standard petrol is 91 octane and is around the same price per litre as a gallon of gas in the US, lpg is around half the price of petrol and I was once told lpg is kind of like 120 octane which allows far higher compression or boost than pump petrol/gas. Under Australian emission laws efi is not allowed to be removed from car or engine unless converting to sole lpg and certain engine swaps are only legal when sole lpg, hence the 4 litre sohc straight six Australian made ford falcon engine in 1tuf65 mustang. The engine produces some 822hp on the dyno 9's on the quarter mile and is street legal still under the very strict Australian modification laws, all this from an old engine out of a taxi that was lucky to be 200hp, but 40psi of boost helps

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  14. Beard

Beard Member

Like I said, I would love to. It just isn't practical where I am located.

15. NotAvailable

NotAvailable Addict

Truck:
    90 single cab bagged and bodied
    our trucks made for towing and hauling. not popping vtec and hitting 9k. we max out around 6ish depending. boost is a good way to go.

16. boner.too

boner.too Enthusiast

Truck:
    1994 single cab
  17. Beard

Beard Member

Yeah, from the looks of it.....22re's are trash for anything but being reliable.

I think I will just talk to my importer friend and try to get a 2jz and a t56 and just rebuild the engine back to stock for now. I am not going to waste money on a trash powerplant I can't make any real gains on. 80% over stock just isn't good enough. On a cheap boosted build on most other four bangers, I easily net over a 150% gain in power.

Now, the question is, what will I have to do to the chassis to handle a 4-500whp 2jz?

Any other good/cool yota swaps out there?

Are there any manual transmissions that bolt up to the LS400 v8? I have one of those sitting in the yard and the engine is free.

18. Beard

Beard Member

Done a bit of google research, the 1UZFE engine out of the LS400 makes 256hp/260tq. The answer was in my backyard the whole time. I will need the Quantum-Auto adapter kit and a w58 trans. After that, I will need to upgrade gearing a bit and get a driveshaft made.

I think I will try to run some sort of standalone ecu with it, just to keep the complications of converting crap out of the picture.

19. NotAvailable

NotAvailable Addict

Truck:
    90 single cab bagged and bodied
    Just remember that the w58 trans can only handle so much power. I have a friend with a boosted toy broke 2 trans already hes at 310hp to the crank. And my 305 sbc motor snapped my 4speed like butter.

20. Beard

Beard Member

I am going to leave it stock. That is more power than I was going for and should be more than adequate to completely destroy a set of tires if I want it to.

I was thinking of a 6-speed trans but I don't think it is worth the money for what I am going for.

For about the same price as a decent little 22re N/A build, I can swap in a 1UZ FE with manual trans and FAST for tuning. The only extra costs is mounting, radiator and driveshaft. Maybe diff changes as well.