Surging throttle/power loss under load

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Littleturd, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Littleturd

Littleturd Member

Truck:
    84 2wd regular cab
    Hey guys,

I was driving on the freeway this morning with about 400lbs in the bed and my 240lb self in the cab going ~70mph when the car started to lunge forwards and backwards gently. It got worse as I started to go up hills at >60mph on the freeway and I would have to slow down to about 50-55mph. Once after staying on the throttle while it surged like that for about 4-5 seconds I came off the throttle and pushed the clutch in and the engine died. It also happened going up a hill in third gear going about 35-40mph.

It feels like the engine is always on the precipice of bogging and if I give it too much gas under load it bogs for a split second and then the power comes back but its fast enough where it feels like I'm pumping the brakes so it doesn't feel safe to stay on the throttle.

The engine has never had any problems moving that kind of load before at that speed, and the truck has no interior or dashboard or electronics/ac right now and integra bucket seats so its probably 150lbs lighter than stock.

I'm thinking its a carb/fuel delivery problem or a weak spark. The truck has never smoked and starts up right away if I give it a couple pumps to prime it so I don't think its a timing problem.

Has anyone else experienced this before?
    :confused:

2. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Since this is a new issue with your truck.... is it a constant now?

Sounds like your truck might be getting too much egr. You can try plugging the vacuum line going to your egr valve and take it for a spin to rule it out.

Also, I've had this symptom with my anti-diesel solenoid shorting out while driving too....bucking and bogging then dying at stops.

Def sounds like carb problems to me, but there are a lot of possibilities.

3. Littleturd

Littleturd Member

Truck:
    84 2wd regular cab
    I took the wetbike out of the back to drive to work this morning and it didn't happen even going up hills. I tried loading the engine going up a hill in 4th going like 30 but no bogging or surging.

4. Littleturd

Littleturd Member

Truck:
    84 2wd regular cab
    I'll try plugging the vacuum to the egr valve and see if anything changes, thanks!