Supra spindle and brake upgrade completed

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by TOY808801, Feb 4, 2010.

1. TOY808801

TOY808801 Newbie

I found some info on this sight a while ago and decided to give it a try.

This swap involves using MK3 front Knuckles and brakes, modifying them slightly and bolting them to your trucks existing ball joints and tie rods. This combo would yield close to 12" brakes, and about a 1 1/2" drop

I would like to warn that this is not an easy job. It requires moderate suspension and steering technical skills along with the right tools to get the job done right. I will explain in a bit, but here's the outcome...

[​IMG][​IMG]

Anyways here's the scoop.

I went to my local salvage yard and grabbed the knuckles, front rubber brake hoses, rotors, calipers and all the hardware... basically I just unbolted the ball joints and tie rods and took both as assemblies.

referencing from the older posts, I was lead to the impression that only the tie rod end holes had to be reamed out, but I came to find out that the lower weight supporting ball joint holes also had to be enlarged.

since the supras tie rods bolted up opposite to that of the trucks and that the trucks tie rods were larger in diameter, the proper size tapered reamer is required to get the hole centered and large enough for the trucks tie rods to fit.

I had to use a very delicate hand and a good die grinder to enlarge the holes for the lower ball joint to seat properly. I do not recommend doing it this way, but the industrial supply company which I had gotten the tapered reamer for the tie rod hole, was closed by the time this problem had arrived.

after getting everything to fit properly, and all the joints were seating as they should I found that the flex lines fit perfectly to the trucks hard brake lines... even the brackets on the truck fit the supras hoses.

I will note that there will be such a massive toe in condition that the truck is nearly impossible to drive. so you will have to adjust the wheels line of sight before you even think of driving anywhere.

Ive been driving the truck with the stock alignment settings and found that it is very squirrely and wants to dart even with even the smallest input to the steering wheel. so I will try the supra specs next to see if the condition improves.

2. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    lmfao, reading this, I want the Mk3 Spindles now! sounds great!

how's the brakes?!

and welcome!

3. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    is the arm of the supra spindle shorter than the truck one? therefore getting more leverage? lets see some pics

4. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    quicker turning sounds fun :D

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    is it me or are the pics not showing. good write up. better details would be great for a sticky

6. planemos

planemos Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 2wd Xtra-Cab,98 2wd Xtra-Cab, 1988 Toyota Supra turbo
    No it isn't you. No pics are visible!:funnyup:

7. rajzswap

rajzswap Addict

Truck:
    89 2jz pickup
    Ill be doing the same conversion in the future when my funds are better. ill be doing a picture by picture write up and possibly a video. I cant wait to be able to stop the truck better with the added weight of the 2jz.

8. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    this is why i wish we could edit posts....

this mod will work, but not exactly bolt on. it is custom fit.

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Seems like a good alternative to drop spindles Just the customizing to make em fit might be the issue for some

10. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Supra spindles, then later on, Mk3 Supra BBK :evil::runaway::D

11. TOY808801

TOY808801 Newbie

Sorry Guys here the pix that didn't end up on my last post. Ill take a few more detailed photos when I get some EBC Green stuff brake pads installed.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Today I aligned the truck front end to just about supra spec. Caster is about two degrees shy of the supra's and it has seemed to cure the squirrelieness somewhat. The symptom I was having when driving is say when you hit a pothole or bump in the road with only one side of the truck, it would thrust you in the opposite direction. so if you hit a bump with the right side of the truck, you would veer into the oncoming traffic..:runaway: :meemee:I may be exaggerating a little but its something that. Also say going around an on ramp at excessive speed... ;-P the body of the truck rolls to the side, the truck wants to veer into the corner. I'm thinking that a good pair of thicker sway bars and new KYB front struts will help this out a bit, and I did find that my steering damper is leaking quite a lot so that needs to be replaced as well.

All in All steering is much tighter and more responsive, and braking is smooth and confident.

Attached Files:

12. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    steering damper should help SIGNIFICANTLY lol

good luck

13. rajzswap

rajzswap Addict

Truck:
    89 2jz pickup
    sweet. cant wait to do mine. I had a fender bender the other day so im really looking forward to bigger brakes.

14. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    ^^ WHAT?! happened?!

15. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    x2 wahappen???

16. standardbyker88

Truck:
    if you need a shaved bumper ive got one cheap lol

17. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    im about to do this swap too.

but im gonna try to use the supra upper arm and ball joint if possible, thats how i took it off and got it.

i can counter act the forward wheel movement if i use the supra ball joint. its got a 3 hole mount, the upper arm looks real F'n close to a stock corona/hilux upper arm, cept its aluminum.

havent measured $hit yet, so heres hopin im lucky:D

18. standardbyker88

Truck:
    nice. i wanna see that when its all done. lol.

19. Rayvin

Rayvin Member

I wana use the whole front setup with rack and pinion as I'm extending the 4 door and not using power steering

20. Poopy

Poopy Member

This doesn't sound like a good swap if you get massive bump steer. Steering dampers and gizmos trying to mask the problem are no good either. Would it be possible to swap the supra rack and pinion over too?

I like the concept seeing as there are after market brake kits for the supra as well. But ruining the geometry is no good.

Is this just an alignment issue? I'd like to see some head on pictures of how the tie rods sit, and some side shots with no brakes on to see the caster.