Steering parts, etc.

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Perkolator, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    My new-to-me '75 Hilux is quite squirrely on the road. It still has all the original steering parts and bushings etc. I already know I can get these at local parts stores and online - but has anyone done any homework regarding the best quality aftermarket parts for these? I know that from the 4wd crowd everyone used to praise MOOG, but their quality went downhill with a lot of stuff and so a lot of people say get the Sankei "555" branded parts, which are reboxed in some brands like Beck Arnley or even Autozone parts. I know that for my 4wd the Mcquay Norris idler arm is beefier than the Toyota one -- so basically I want to know if any of this applies to the older Hilux trucks?

I'm going to start out with all new inner/outer tie rods and sleeves. Maybe I'll also do the idler arm and the pitman arm. Eventually I'll get some new upper/lower ball joints and contemplate a new steering box or see about adjustment.

You think this will tighten everything up?

2. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    That's what I did on my '73 and it made a world of difference. I did ball joints, tie rod ends and adjuster sleeves, idler arm and Pitman arm. The only thing no replaced was the rag joint and the steering box, but good luck finding a new steering box for them

3. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    that's exactly what i'm planning - basically all the stuff but the steering box. the PO told me he found a source for the box, but it's like $400. I think I can get all the other parts for maybe $300?