Removing spray paint the EASIEST way?

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by farmorejustin, Dec 7, 2010.

1. jackash002

jackash002 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1982 2wd p/u, 1983 toyota trailblazer, 1982 toyota truggy (next, just a cab/frame now)
    lol @ paint shop comments, a paint supply store= yes, dealer= should have stock color codes to take to paint supply store, paintshop= no.. lol just a little mis-communication i believe

dash looks good, i did a black base/clear on my 4x4 with a flattened clear to look like factory black, and did a high gloss jet black for the mini.. because it's shiny..

for that paint code, the dealer(unless they have a paint shop) won't have paint, they can give you the paint code, but if you have the paint code you take it to a paint shop or a paint supply store and buy the paint from them. or tell the paint shop that is doing the work to pull up the code and show you the color chip and make sure it's the right one.

they differ a lot with old codes for some reason.. i looked up a 68 ford color for my buddy and it was a different blue, but similiar.

if all else fails, and you know what color you want, go to paint supply or paint shop doing work and ask to look through their color chips and find one of the thousands of colors that looks like what you want and have them make it/paint it that color. and then you can keep the paint info for later reference/repairs

- Ben

2. EFnetOper

EFnetOper Veteran

Truck:
    94 2wd Pickup
    I have been painting for over 24 years and yes a paint supplier can recreate a stock color if you have the paint code. "LOL" at going to the dealer for said code though. It's printed right under the hood of most vehicles. Also, you are nuts if you think paint that was layed down 30 years ago is going to match the paint made with said code. Colors change/fade over 30 years. I assume people aren't trying to match paint on their 30 year old vehicle but simply repaint that vehicle the same color it was however many years ago. By paint shop, I mean an auto paint supplier, not your local Sherwin Williams house paint store (although, Sherwin Williams does have automotive paint supply shops all over the US).

3. jackash002

jackash002 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1982 2wd p/u, 1983 toyota trailblazer, 1982 toyota truggy (next, just a cab/frame now)
    yea, too many variables to break down the whole paint scenario online in a paragraph or two. my buddy's color i looked up was not just faded,oxidized, etc. i think it was a different color, maybe different code, which i assumed was because of my paint line or a less specific paint process or documentation from 30 years ago being transferred to today's paint process'..and even so most colors now have many many variables to "match" said paint and then you can tint or pull from chip book to match and repair and not repaint an entire vehicle just because it's old.
    if you have ever tried getting the two tone color's off of the paint code under hood, glove box, door jamb, trunk, or elsewhere depending on make of vehicle, then you know you need to refer to your color books for what color combo's they offered with that paint code, the newer software helps but still need to run to and from the chip panel, OR the dealer sometimes is helpful with those trim options, and or like you said most vehicles with paint code, not all, some missing. Which leads to the main topic of the dash paint.. you would be hard pressed to find a paint code for that if not the outside color, and you would be more likely to find the trim of the color/trim code at the dealership than finishmaster or other paint supply store. and then with said code could be transferred to a specific paint line. hopefully, because old stuff is less available in most new systems.. that 68 ford referenced had one code no alternates or options... anything that has had time to develope more color combinations have many, if honda, many many color options..lol and kia/hundai even get their color codes mixed up sometimes..

there are many tools available to get,check and confirm paint colors.. bottom line. paint good, rust bad.

...i did hear a few good things of the sherwin williams line of paints a lil while back, but haven't tried them personally ;)

Tying back into post, an easy way to remove paint i would like to try is the electrolysis trick with a tank and battery charger with washing soda solution..must be metal though.

-Ben

4. farmorejustin

farmorejustin Member

Truck:
    78 long bed
    Thanks for all the info guys. This is well over the amount that I need to know about getting my stock look. I would really like to paint myself, but for the sake of convenience.....well, idk. It's 30F out right now. I can't even think that far :p

5. olnelly

olnelly Newbie

Truck:
    81 4wdlongbed named:olnelly
    I got a can of Vinyl & Fabric paint made by Dupli.Color This stuff cost me 5 dollars a can and it leave a nice finish not to glossy it sticks to vinyl and metal or fabric surface i used it on my piller gauge cluster on my 81 4wd it turned out nice!

6. randy20r

randy20r Member

Truck:
    1976 toyota pickup
    satin black baby!!!!