Putting the engine back in: lessons learned.

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Scomber, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Scomber

Scomber Enthusiast

I've been putting Pablo's new(ish) engine into him today. The hard part was getting it onto the transmission input shaft. Finally I stopped trying to muscle it around and thought of my fridge drawer full of all the random nuts and bolts from my parts truck. I went and found two bolts with the same thread as the two bottom bell-housing bolts, but much longer. So with the shaft not into the splines yet, I was able to start these bolts in their holes, then adjust the hoist so that crank and transmission shafts were on the same axis, then I slowly tightened the bolts. I'd stop regularly to jack over the engine by the crank pulley bolt, to make sure the splines had a chance to align. It all went together slick as a smelt. I'm still bolting stuff up, but it's in place. At some point, when I have a few more of the other bolts in, I'll pull out the long ones and put the regular length bolts in.

2. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
    You have a collection of bolts in your fridge drawer? I thought having a welder in my kitchen was bad.
    "Single guy are ya?"
    "Yeah, how'd you know?"
    "Oh, just a hunch." :waytogo:

3. Scomber

Scomber Enthusiast

It's not a drawer in my fridge. :rolleyes: It's just an old metal fridge drawer that's a solid box to throw nuts and bolts into.

4. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    I always grease up that spline real well before I try.I forget what it's called but that plastic spline d!ck thing that you get with a new clutch comes in real handy for making sure that your clutch disc is perfectly centered or else you will be fighting to get that thing to go in.

5. yota89

yota89 Enthusiast

Truck:
    89 single cab
    I had a hard time too with the motor i just finished all i did was raise
    the trans up to the wall guide the motor down push the hoist in and
    It went in smooth....all by myself