no spark?

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by djbeefyaz, Dec 14, 2011.

1. djbeefyaz

djbeefyaz Newbie

Truck:
    85 2wd xtracab dlx 22r auto
    i had a problem before with a poush button starter that was rigged up all i had to do was rep[lace the wires with new beefier wires and ive had no issue with that. now this is a while later i am getting no spark at all, i changed coils, plugs, checked and tightened the ground from the head, ground from the block to battery, and exhaust mani ground and still nothing im getting fuel but no spark i did the take a wire off and see if it sparks test too.

what happened was i went outside to heat my truck up as usual and leave it running well i came back outside a few minutes later and it was off and the ignition still on obviously went to start it up and cranks fine but no start then the next day i started doing the few tests i have done so far. is there any common problem that would cause no spark? and i tried putting new coil and still nothing. I am stumped on this one. Especially with such a simple truck.

2. djbeefyaz

djbeefyaz Newbie

Truck:
    btw this is a 85 22r auto xtracab with a weber 32/36 carb, acell 800+ plug wires, brand new spark plugs put them in after having these issues like 2 days ago and the cap and rotor is less than a year old.

3. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    your distributor might be bad. make sure its plugged in. I made the mistake once when putting my motor back in, I didnt plug it in and I spent 2 days fiddling with it. where are you located ? if you need a new distibutor Ive got one.

4. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Sounds like a bad igniter. Either hit a junkyard for a used one or get a GM hei ignition module and aftermarket coil. I just went through this on my truck, I'll never waste my time with another Toyota igniter again. :D

5. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    no spark

Where does the no spark start. You should be able to remove the wire from the coil to the dizzy and crank it and see a spark jumping out of the coil. If you got spark there and not to the wires going to the plugs I would say its your dizzy. If you dont have spark going to your coil Its either the ignitor or the power running to the ignitor. There is a fuse running to that so check that first.If thats good its probably a bad ignitor. Good luck

6. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    yes check what he said, I didnt even think of that.

7. djbeefyaz

djbeefyaz Newbie

Truck:
    there is no spark from the coil. wich fuse is for the ignitor/coil? mine are of course missing the doors so i have no idea what fuse does what becuase the haynes book doesnt show that... of course. My friend has an 86 22r (his is also missing the fuse doors/labels) hes coming over tomorrow hes going to let me try his ignitor, and damn that part is expensive! there is only one junkyard in a 100 mile radius and they have no 22r's!(i just called today) thanks for all help/suggestions so far guys ill post back my findings after tomorrow morning..

8. djbeefyaz

djbeefyaz Newbie

Truck:
    still no good hmm what about the pickup coil is this known to go out on these trucks? man i wish i had someone close by to give me a hand on this pia i hate wiring problems etc rrrr

9. djbeefyaz

djbeefyaz Newbie

Truck:
    update my ditributor cap has oil in it, ive never seen that before? anyone experience this? maybe i need a new distributor? idk im stumped and aggrevated rrr

10. Malessohomegrown

Truck:
    fuse

ok I have an 87 carbed hilux and my fuse Is on the bottom right of the row of regular fuses. There are relay fuses below this row so dont get confused.Bottom right. This is on my truck yours might be different because of the year but thats a start. As for the oil in the cap if you pull out the dizzy there is an o-ring in the shaft. These get old and flat and that is what keeps the oil out. You dont want oil leaking out of there because it will eventually leak ontu your alternator and fugg it up. I have an o-ring kit and found a similar size and put it on and it worked great. Make sure you got your timming right when you put it back in.

11. djbeefyaz

djbeefyaz Newbie

Truck:
    i dont know how to time the dizzy and im going to double check that fuse, and i already put a new alternator on it recently with a lifetime warranty:) it just a pia to replace becuase i have power steering and a/c wich is all in the way not like my friends 86 with no ac and manual steering its so easy lol

12. Malessohomegrown

Truck:
    I dont know if a life time warenty will cover oil damage from a leak. Clean out the cap and use it for now. If you have any friends that know how to set timming check them. It's not that hard but its best to be shown instead of reading it.

13. Malessohomegrown

Truck:
    youtube

You can find a tutorial on youtube. If you had to go to a shop I imagine it wouldnt cost much. Just dont let them tell you you need this and you need that. Tell them to pull the dist. replace the o-ring and put it back thats it.

14. djbeefyaz

djbeefyaz Newbie

Truck:
    true about the warranty eh but whatever, and i would have to have it towed to a shop it wont start remember.. this is the mnain problem the oil thing i assume has been going on for a while i was wondering where my oil has been going for a little while now and could never find a leak on the outside of the engine. so an oil leak into there even though its been going on for a while shouldnt cause it not to start? or an o ring is going to give me spark again? it was weird like i said..

i went out to heat it up started it left it came out it was off with ignition still on position, turned key and nothing just cranking but no spark or vroom vroom, retried nothing, then checked grounds etc nothing, swapped coil, ignitor, plug wires from my friends running 86 and nothing still, i appreciate all help and suggestions though, i really do. its just so aggrevating, i need to have a running vehicle especially since i live at an apartment building..

15. djbeefyaz

djbeefyaz Newbie

Truck:
    also someone on another site suggested that little box that bolts down to the ground or the bottom bracket for the ignitor with two wires coming out of it is known to short out as well, anyone know what this is called, it just looks like a little resistor box plain black little box..

16. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    clean the oil out from under the cap, if it still doesnt start then its probably bad.. a bad o-ring will not cause it to not work, just leak oil. also if you do pull the dizzy off its easy, just mark EXACTLY where it was, and put it back the same EXACT way, even if you just get it close, it will still start. I paid 75 bucks to have my truck timed a while back, I even towed it to the shop, and found out my spark plug wires were crossed... talk about embarrassing and a waste of 100 plus dollars...That was when I started to learn how to do this easy crap my self.

17. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    can you take a picture or find one online and circle what your talking about in paint ?

18. Malessohomegrown

Truck:
    spark

You said no spark from the coil right. So the problem is from the coil back. The oil in the dizzy isn't disrupting the spark. Maybe it grounded inside and blew the fuse. I don't know if that's possible but check all your fuses. If fuses are good put a multi tester on your igitor and crank it to make sure its getting power.

19. djbeefyaz

djbeefyaz Newbie

Truck:
    the relays and fuses are all good i literally pulled them all ha! all good. im going to see if i can borrow a multimeter from a friend all i have is one of those light bulb tester pens that you ground and touch.

i have included a pic i found online becuase its dark now. you can see the little black box with two wires coming out of it on the right side in the pic but overall its towards the front of the truck attached to a mounting bolt of the ignitor, one person said those go bad but i dont know what resisitance it would be or what its called its not in the haynes book or diagrams.

Attached Files:

20. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    your talking about the small shiny clean looking box on the right with a wire on each side ? If im not mistaken isnt that just a fuse or circuit breaker you can pop open ?