No CEL on dash

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by 88toyTruk, Dec 9, 2014.

1. 88toyTruk

88toyTruk Newbie

I got a 88 pickup 2wd 22r. For the year that i owned this truck i aint been able to find a CEL on the dash or a connector. I read all the FSMs and searched google. Nothing.. Anyone else got this or even know if i have a CEL? i got smog coming up and would be nice to know where to start

2. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    22r equipped vehicles never had a check engine light. Those with 22re's did though.

3. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Standard cab 22re 5 spd
    ^^yup.

4. 88toyTruk

88toyTruk Newbie

So whats the o2 sensor for? And how do i know ifmy truck is good for a smog??

5. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Are you in California?

If so, I suggest you print out these pages and take them with you.

If your smog station has an outdated reference manual, they may fail you because the old manuals say our trucks have a MIL (official term for CEL). My station would not pass me even when I brought my gauge panel to show them there was no CEL light. I had to call the BAR and get them to send me this page to show to my smog station.

As for the O2 sensor, that is to make sure that the exhaust is not too rich or too lean which would cause the catalytic converter to overheat.

Attached Files:

6. 88toyTruk

88toyTruk Newbie

Thanks mrdinkleman.. Yes im in california. I bought the truck and started tinkering with it trying to find a light for it.. I pulled the guage cluster held it up to light and nothing.

7. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Oh, and one more extra test they performed was a "puff test" (my name for it). With the truck in neutral they will rev the engine to see if there is any black smoke shooting out the exhaust. This is a purely subjective, visual test and it made me the most nervous. But mine passed...

Smog check really sucks for these trucks. My station said they would have to charge me a little extra because there were a few extra tests (like the puff test) that they had to perform manually so it would take extra time... :rolleyes:

8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    If its running smooth just take it in. Youl be surprised at what passes and what doesnt lol