New member thinking of Engine Swap!!!!!

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Ratyota, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Ratyota

Ratyota Newbie

Truck:
    1985 regular 22r
    Hey I'm a new member and I wuz thinking about trying to put a 22rte in my truck
    I'd like to get some input from everyone on this! thanks

2. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Hell yeah,

If you have access to a complete donor vehicle with the engine, ecu and harness, go for it.

I bought my 87 truck with a 22rte swap last spring. It was in poor condition when I bought it.
    [​IMG]

The motor was partially dismantled.
    [​IMG]

It took me months of work and RESEARCH to get in it's current running condition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

During the rebuild I found out that the engine is a true 22rte but the ecu is actually from the early EFI celica (NON Turbo). It's a very simple factory efi that only uses the afm, ignition coil and temp sensor to run the motor. The AFM was tweaked to supply enough fuel during boost. The factory 22rte ecu has a 6200 fuel cut but the celica ecu doesn't.I have revved up to around 6800 with no problem. Now, I will not advise you to go this route with engine management but with careful driving and a full gauge set to monitor a/f and egt I have had very few problems. Last weekend I beat a 2.0T VW golf in a little stoplight race. The celica transmission my truck has helps too. The power comes on early but it does lack good power at higher rpms.

Now the bad. The factory ct20 turbo is the weakpoint. They are old , inefficient and all most existing turbos most likely have cracked housings. My turbo dumps oil into the intake which makes the truck smoke pretty bad sometimes. I found a guy on ebay that will make an adapter plate to mount a t3 turbo to the factory manifold. I will get a pair of these adpaters next month.

Why a pair of adapters? Because I like this motor so much that I just bought another 22rte (with a cracked turbo housing) to drop into my 81 corolla wagon. I'm just looking for another early 22re ecu. They used to be a dime a dozen in my local J/Y. I hope I can still find one.

3. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    why would you use the stock manifold ? aftermarket manifolds are cheap and can run any turbo ?

4. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Yeah, I know. A top mount, log style aftermarket manifold was included when I bought the truck. I have fallen in love with the cleaner look of the stock manifold and BOTTOM mount turbo. Dont get me wrong, if the stock manifold ever cracks I will slap on the aftermarket one without delay.

5. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    yeah but im saying they do have aftermarket ones that bolt on where the stock goes, it just has a different bolt pattern for different turbo.. some even come with the turbo

6. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Well, I'll def look into it. All of the ones I've seen have been top mount.

Thanks

7. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    ill see if i can find it for you.

8. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    have you ever ran it at the track?