New here with a brake problem

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by h3o, Oct 24, 2010.

1. h3o

h3o Newbie

Hey everyone finally picked up a 84 toyota but it has one problem, the brake fluid keeps getting drained and i have no idea where im losing it. Nothing inside the cab and nothing by the master cylinder. I've change the brake pads and rotors on the front and properly bled them. But i am still losing fluid, it only takes a day to drain but i have no idea where it is leaking. Is there a common place these things leak at? ive checked the drums in the rear too and no fluid there. Im at a lost and dont want to take it into a mechanic cause im pretty sure im just missing something.

2. mightymouse

mightymouse Enthusiast

Truck:
    1990 4x4,1991 2wd, 1984 sr5 4x4
    fill it get some card board and pout it under the truck. When it drains out the card board will stain and you can go from there. By the way don't drive it if no one has told you that yet. It doesn't just disapear it's leaking some where this is just the easy way to start looking for it.

3. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
    ok well, just try following the lines, i think the metering valve could go bad, and i think it's on the passenger side on the firewall in the engine bay area, if not, it'll be the drivers side, firewall, engine bay... follow those lines... and sometimes the wheel sylinders, take the drums off and see if it leaks out of the rubber boots on either side of each wheel cylinder, also, check if it there like rust accumulation like right on the booster where the master is... uhmm, you could also check the piston boots of the caliper's and check all the rubber lines where they flex, should be able to see some sort of accumulated moisture on there... that's for finding the leaks, not sure if it has rubber hoses beneath the cab, but check there too! check all of the fittings and connectors! that's about all i know., you might want to start with the lines though! then to the metering valve...