New Alternator

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by TRUCK ACTION, Oct 22, 2011.

1. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    So I lost my stock alternator that had been reworked,& decided to go with a GM unit. I wanted to keep the charge light & volt meter so a one wire was not for me.
    LC directed me to the company that supplies them with one wire units.
    So after a little discussion, I was sent a si12 unit with billet cases, 150 amp out put & 100 @ idle. [​IMG]
    Had to modify the upper ear to line the pulleys up & had to lengthen the lower rear spacer. Also had to lengthen the upper arm.

5/16'' had to be removed from the upper ear, the spacer had to be lengthened by the same( new one made), & cut a new arched upper arm & weld to the rest of the stock bracket.
    They made a link plug for me to go from the GM unit to the stock plug!
    Also went to a 2'' pulley,as I have under drive pulleys!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
  3. CrazyCody93

CrazyCody93 Enthusiast

Truck:
    84 Sr5 Xtra cab
    So was this with the stock alternator mounts? only reason i ask is because i've found this.

GM Alternator Conversion Kit

my original find was on trail gear but i cant figure out how to just view the alternator. and it says it fits a cs 130, is that a easily attainable alternator? i'm looking for probably a 140 amp

4. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Those brackets are like the ones LC offers in chrome or billet & are for the cs series alternators, they are one wire units.
    Will work if you ok with no volts readings or charge light.
    Calif. smog checks you have to have all the check lights come on with first key on! So I went with a si series.
    The cs130 is a 140 amp I believe.
    Also the stock upper bracket as a 2nd leg for more support,reason I modified mine. [​IMG] [​IMG]:cool:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  5. CrazyCody93

CrazyCody93 Enthusiast

Truck:
    84 Sr5 Xtra cab
    is there a major difference between the CS and the si series cases?

6. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Not sure without having the two mounted on a beam next too one another! As per the shop I ordered through I'd say the SI is smaller!
    Some of the cs series have as many as 12 external didoes,the SI's are internal,both fan & didoes,also sealed,double bearings!
    Again, the reason of the choice I made was due to not one wire!
    Got it all in & up & running today,output is great @ idle,no drop in voltage when lights go on . Will do more testing & road trip ,also a few more photo's!:cool:

7. CrazyCody93

CrazyCody93 Enthusiast

Truck:
    84 Sr5 Xtra cab
    well thats the deal breaker then! i'm getting noise through the stereo, that i want to see if i can eliminate by going away from the externally regulated alternator. I had also intended on making my voltage and charge light functional! So then i'll be getting the 12si!

8. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Install is completed & volts @ battery 14.5,volt meter in dash reading the same. Will test drive today to make sure all is good!

9. WallyBman

WallyBman Member

a modern 12si and a cs130 are functionally identical. I have a 1/3 wire 12si from powermaster (140 amps) and I have it installed as a 1 wire, and I haven't gotten a light on my dash yet. Also, externally, and cs130 is larger than a 12si, but the mounting ears are identically spaced, so if it will mount a cs, it will mount an si, but the reverse cannot be guaranteed. With my powermaster 12si, I don't get any noise through the stereo. Also, I'm using the trail gear mounting kit. Quick tip: If you are pulling the mounts without yanking anything off the truck, cutting a 13mm(if i remember correctly) wrench in half and adhering it into the end of a small jack handle works wonders for getting to the mount bolts that are a pain.

10. OldSchool84DevilLux

OldSchool84DevilLux Enthusiast

Truck:
    1984 Toyota Sr5 PU Xtra Cab(Hilux)
    So Im tryin to get my GM unit out do you have to remove the PS pump cuz there is no way its goin out the bottom already moved hose that goes to water pump since I was told by a buddy thats what you have to do to remove it.

11. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Yeah the Power Master one is way high priced ,around $600 if I rember right.
    The one I got ran around $350 ,polished billet cased ,& connector plug!
    And I got mine in & out from the bottom!:cool:

12. OldSchool84DevilLux

Truck:
    If I try to remove it from the bottom the lower alternator bracket stops it not to mention the steer box arm and steerin box

13. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Mines a SI type which is small than other GM types, I could snake it up & into the lower bracket!
    Had to do this a few times to get the upper bracket length change!
    I did remove my lower radiator hose ,but that is because it is not stock , & rather large :cool:

14. OldSchool84DevilLux

Truck:
    I will try that monday since truck is at school auto shop unless i sell it what is the difference between a SI and other GM types mine has a two wire connetor and a single wire for charge back to battery???

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  15. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    As far as I know the si case is smaller, is internal & is a 3 wire ,the others are larger, external & most are 1 wire .
    But you should call the main companies that sell these,I think I posted the links for two of them!
    The one from LC is not a SI,but my contact there had me call their supplier & that's where I got mine from!:cool: