muffler ideas

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by craigdbl, Aug 24, 2011.

1. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    my hilux is getting dual flowmaster 40 series :waytogo:

i heard good things about magnaflow here so i had one installed on my 04 v6 mustang along with high flow magnaflow cats. it sounds worse then a stock civic with a pep boys coffee can exhaust... i have plans to cut it outta there and go flowmaster.

as for cost a friend (bodybagged on here) just had his ran from exhaust manifold back with a new cat and using the old muffler and it was $250

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  2. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    What ever you go with ,use stainless as will last longer!
    I personally like Borla ,stainless & sounds great ,& lifetime warranty!:cool:

3. oldschool64bus

oldschool64bus Veteran

Truck:
    1983 SR5 4x4
    I had a cheap header with 2 1/4 pipe to a flowmaster on my 77, no cat from the factory and it sounded GREAT, my 83 with a cat sounds nothing like it kinda bummed. It will be exempt soon maybe Ill bust out the cat hahaha

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Isbit a complete magnaflow kit? Cuz my GF got her catback installed with a magnaflow muffler+an exhaust tip for lil over $150

5. dOBER

dOBER Member

running stock exhaust manifold to stock pipe -CAT deleted, Lexus 18" resonator 2 1/4" piping into a Cherry Bomb Turbo
    for piping I used stock New Tacoma piping donated to me.
    Overall it's great
    Feels way more responsive
    Deep bassy hum but still WAAYYY quiet.
    When it's WOT it sounds awesome.

I've done ups glasspacks on a friends 22RE as well as other mufflers (flowmasters, Magnaflows, Walker)
    I just like the turbo style - call me old but I prefer not waking up the neighbors where I live. U can still hear me coming, but it's not the obnoxious boyracer something to prove type of sound - I have a CRX for that

I think the larger for a 4cyl 22r motors could really benefit with a resonator.
    Gives it a nice tone

6. flacostaco

flacostaco Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87 pickup
    i put a jardine on mine sounds nice not all tht loud but sounds nice not annoying or anything i like and wen u step on it u can hear a lil noise i love it:love:

7. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Magnaflow please. Sounds cleaner and better. Straight flow through design. Mine is doing GREAT.

The most pre-2010 V6's didn't come from the factory with exhaust manifolds designed in the equal length/ tuned length design. Slapping a straight exhaust on it will sound horrible. E.G. Camaro V6's, Mustang V6's, Toyota 3VZ-E's, and GM 3800's for an example. This sound is really horrible once they put TRUE duals ona V6 of such design without the equal length designs.
    An unequal length header V6 will produce much different notes than an Inline 4 or tuned headers on a V6. E.G. such cars as the 350/70Z, the RB series and the JZ series, and new Mustang 2011 V6's. Why do they all sound similar and great even with open exhausts? Nissan and toyota for a long time had played with the V6's and I6's. They were INTENT on performance on these motors, so they produced great exhaust flow and the sound was SMOOOTH. BUTTER SMOOOTH. chop off a muffler and they sound beautiful. "economic" V6's sound like **** because they weren't designed for that nice high flow. Camaro, Mustang, and toyota Pickup V6's sound like **** with open exhaust and stock manifolds.

Ford and Chevy took forever to catch up on efficiency and finally hopped up the game with their new V6's and added better designed headers.

Most 6 cyl cars have Y-pipes now, that's why people say "omg your car sounds like a fuggin skyline/supra/Z" Why? because the exhaust notes are all flowing in one smooth beautiful sound. Take a 350z/370z and throw TRUE DUALS on it, and it'll sound deeper and choppier.
    This applies on V8's too. True Duals will sound deeper, but in the end, Y-pipe designs will sound more exotic and at the same time, save weight.

you can't blame a magnaflow for making a car sound like crap. it's like tossing it on a honda civic with the stock exhaust, it will sound horrible.

IMHO, Flowmasters sound like crap... It's a chambered design, the sound waves bounce off on the walls inside, reflect, and sound choppy and all that.

Get a magnaflow if you want a neat sounding exhaust for a good price. It's high flow and makes our Inline 4's sound great. Keep the cat on, and up the piping size. you'll like it.

My friends love the Magnaflow. On my truck, and on the 4.6L 2V V8's on the Mustang, it keeps it down when you don't get on it. It's chill. Open her up and the Magnaflows allows your car to sound ****ing great. People love how my truck sounds and how my friend's 99GT sounds with it. I love it.

I know too much about wheels and exhausts..

8. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    WOOPS, didn't see this was a reply, not a new thread xD

Where are going to that has installation for $225? Could you find anywhere cheaper? I assume this is from the cat to the magnaflow and a tailpipe to lead it out.

I'll be honest, isn't the magnaflow muffler itself around $70?

9. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
  10. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    Cherry bomb glasspacks! "Disturbing the peace since 1968" :waytogo:

11. craigdbl

craigdbl Guest

yea, I've called 3 muffler shops and they say $225. It seems high to me too. I think I'll see what it would be if I bring the muffler to them and see if the price is different.

12. craigdbl

craigdbl Guest

reply to cinNAMmon--you said you used a straight thru design.Do you think that gives the same sound as the offset ones? Space looks limited under my truck.Yea o'Reily's has these for $74 and I found a shop to install it for $50 once I decide on which one I want.That pricing sounds more reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2011
  13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I think magnaflows offset design uses a pipe goin diagonally inlet to outlet. That being their straight thru design

14. craigdbl

craigdbl Guest

yea, I'm trying to figure out thier designs method. I did look under my truck and I do have room.Also I measured my pipe comming from the back of the cat and it's 1 3/4 diameter so I'm assuming it can be expanded to 2 1/2 and be ok.

15. twizted1

twizted1 Addict

Truck:
    '89 xcab 2wd
    ive been leaning towards a Magnaflow myself on an 89 and on my 98 tacoma...probably put it on the taco first...what size tubing did you go up to? and is that from the cat back? \

also the 2.25 in and out Stainless is the way you would go?

16. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Check out the sitw. Magnaflow should have pics of theit design

17. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Much reasonable.
    Yes, the magnaflow offset to offset design is physically straight through. I think the offset design allows some of the exhaust notes to get absorbed into the muffler. But when you get on it, the exhaust notes just go.
    Metal body, the pipe on the inside is perforated and the rest of the body is packed with nice quality stuff.
    Space isn't too bad, the Magnaflow can be installed where the factory one is at, in the same area.

Straight through as the exhaust flow doesn't enter chambers or anything slowing down the flow. It's just a pipe that has perforations and packing covered by the stainless steel body. The packing absorbs the exhaust notes.

Idle is pretty tame, low rpm's it sounds not so tame, and high rpm's is just high flow exhaust.

Since you're in Cali, I wouldn't touch the cat or anything in front. Cat back can be 2.25" and be perfectly fine.

Mine was a bunch of mix of pieces. From the cat it goes from 2" to 2.25" to 2.5" because the Magnaflow was free ;)
    The 2.25" in and out stainless is the optimal as anything bigger, you will lose backpressure and is completely unnecessary.

18. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    MagnaFlows are basically a glasspack in an oval case. Quieter cuz its got more packing material.

19. twizted1

twizted1 Addict

Truck:
    '89 xcab 2wd
    alright, sounds like the right exhause for me, i had a FlowMaster 40 series on a tacoma and it sounded alright, but i think the magna is the way to go this time around.

thanks

20. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    lol essentially, it's a pretty well built muffler. My friends' mustang GT's, with a flowmasters and Magnaflows, the Magnaflows sound so much cleaner and honestly better. You can easily drive with the magnaflows.

Flowmaster 40's or whatever are common, but they just don't sound as clean and flowing.

IF you guys want to get fancy... grab a universal vibrant exhaust to play with? pretty popular.
    Vibrant Performance ::.