MPG what are you getting?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Biggja22, Oct 22, 2012.

1. 7920rhelpplz

7920rhelpplz Newbie

79 4x4 weber carb 20r 5 speed best I ever got running 31x10.50s so far is 24mpg

2. Hubbard

Hubbard Member

Truck:
    1995 Extended Cab Truck 2wd and 2006 Scion xB
    Stock 1995 Extended Cab Truck w the 22r: 22-25 mpg in town, a little better on the freeway.

3. Immoreradthanu

Immoreradthanu Enthusiast

Truck:
    79 long bed
    Wtf? I get like 14 in my 79 2wd longbed!!! I get like 200 miles or so to a f***ing tank of gas!!!!

4. Immoreradthanu

Truck:
    79 long bed
    Oh btw i am running stock tire size sr5 20r engine it seems to run fine too but obviously i am in dire need of some tuning up. I just figured with it being carb'd and my step dad mentioning a while back that these little toyots don't get as good of gas mileage as you would think that everything was normal. Well it's a good thing i am in the process of getting a nicer and much newer/bigger truck for my dd so i can do some major overhaulin with my toyota!

5. ToxicToyz

ToxicToyz Addict

Truck:
    88 longbed
    Don't know exactly what Im getting but its somewhere around 24 mpg if I go easy on the go fast paddle. Every thing is stock just no cat 2" piping with a 2" thrush turbo muffler and 10* advanced. Might be able to get more mpg is I back it down to 8

6. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    What size tanks do we have in our trucks?

If i remember right, the chilton manual says- 16gal for my '86 reg cab, but on "E"mpty i can only put in about 10 gal...Which makes me think it might be a 12gal tank?

Im getting about 200miles per tank, w/ 5 speed, stock tires, weber 32/36, and a glasspack....My speedometer is a little off though, says im doing 60 when im geally doing like 68-70...And turning about 2600-2800prms.

Was told by the previous owner that it has a celica transmission in it, so i accounted that for the speedometer being off. Maybe that in conjunction with the stock 8" rear and 3.07 gearing?? Makes for worse mileage?

Sounds like the 4speeds are kicking ass in the mpg department....

7. Immoreradthanu

Truck:
    79 long bed
    When on e i can stuff a little over 14 gal in mine and my speedo is only off maybe like a mile or two from what i saw when they clock me on those whats your speed electronic signs. And i'm getting like i said 200 miles before i need gas again

8. Salty

Salty Enthusiast

just figured mine... 13mpg WTF?

20r, stock carb. must be running like utter ****.

9. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    I can only get about 11 gallons in mine when it's pretty low . Wich with 93 octane it almost feels like a deal with gas being cheap over here right now . But my mpg quickly corrects that

10. jaybee

jaybee Addict

Truck:
    1987 yota truck
    Just a regular tune up will help your mpg.. I also use STP fuel injector the cleaner a couple time and it seems to help..

11. Biggja22

Biggja22 Newbie

Truck:
    Looking
    Haven't had a chance or cash to tune yet I'm still getting maybe 14 all city driving

12. 3spd

3spd Newbie

Truck:
    76 SR5
    '76 w/ 20r, weber 32/36, mild cam and 22r aluminum rockers. I get a pretty solid 21 in town, mid-20's if I baby it and average 27 on the freeway. Highest I ever got was 31. Header to true dual exhaust and glass packs next, I'll let you know if that affects it.

Ryland

13. MattMcCarthy

MattMcCarthy Veteran

Truck:
    89 2jz
    25-28 with the 2jz truck...

14. celicablacksmith

celicablacksmith Newbie

There are many other things that can effect the mpg. FI VS carb, tire size, gear ratio, leaky fuel lines and fuel pumps, thermastat temp. vacuum at rpm caused buy cam change, mass air flow seansor, throttle position sensor, single down pipe, duel down pipe, or header, size and lenth of primary tubes on header, lenth of collector, weight of flywheel-tires-wheels-brakes, driveshaft, pistons. and how these all work together on a single truck. ect. ect. but the 5 most value saving things i have found, are "arodynamics,tire pressure, tire tread pattern, how mutch "stuff" we have in our trucks, and how you drive it". My 79 2wd gets about 16mpg, and it is all wrong, needing to fix everything. But my 80 celica autocross car, will get 35mpg on the hiway at 65-75mph but motor is tuned as a hole unit.

15. AGUILAR3

AGUILAR3 Veteran

How is everyone measuring the mpg on their trucks?

16. jaybee

jaybee Addict

Truck:
    1987 yota truck
    Fill up and then measure how many miles it takes you get to empty. Then divide it by how many gallons on your tank.

17. AGUILAR3

AGUILAR3 Veteran

That's what I think is the only way. Carry a gallon of gas and run the truck until it shuts off..... but what if you have to use the freeway a few times a week? How can everyone be so sure they are getting what they are claiming? Just something Ive always wondered

18. celicablacksmith

celicablacksmith Newbie

You can test it like the "mythbusters" and other mpg geeks:)do, that way there are no varibles. Measure a gal by"wieght", then set 3 corses each using a gps,one city, one highway, and one a combo of both. This way there is no variance from the tire size, odometer, speedometer, or gear that may not be stock. either unhook the fuel line and use a dedicated bottle for the fuel."most accurate". Or put a mark on the gas guage then pour gas in and put a new mark."less accurate". then drive on each route using up the 1 gal on each. drive how you would normally, or drive to "strive" for mpg. record the distance on each route with the gps. This is how you get the avrage mpg, like on mpg rating sites. Good luck. and a bonus. you will feel like the science guru we may never have been:)HAHA

19. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
  20. Ramrod

Ramrod Member

Truck:
    77 pickup
    Ok i honestly think i have everyone beat. Highway driving i got a honest 44 mpg using my stock old 20r with original points and condensors, stock intake manifold, A40 3speed i believe (or A30 cant remember), weber 32/36, enkie 92 with dunlop direzzas, cruising at 65. Drove from tacoma to marysville and thats what i averaged. No fuel pressure reg, crappy mr. gasket fuel pump. Daily driver from kent to tacoma and fill up about twice a month. I LOVE THIS TRUCK:D