Motor 18RG

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by carlosrace, Feb 14, 2011.

1. carlosrace

carlosrace Member

Truck:
    Toyota Pick up 1982 motor 22r carb
    Hey guys....what is your oipnion about the motor 18 RG (It´s a legend)....
    It´s a good motor?....Could be a good swap for a toyota pick up?

[​IMG]

2. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    I never drove/ridden in an 18RG car. (so my opinion is biased)...

But it appears the 18RG is the high RPM, low torque opposite of the 20/22R.

Both have crossflow 8V heads. The 20R chamber is VERY similar to the 18RGs. No magic there. Only the spark plug is almost vertical, in the center. Instead of the 20R/22Rs pointed at the intake.

The 18RGs intake and exhaust ports are a tad straighter than the 20R.

Coolness factor yea.
    For a truck mill, No.

Needs moar powa!

3. crazedriver

crazedriver Member

Truck:
    93 xtra cab
    18rg..is a great motor rode and driven a 1970 hilux witha 18rg w/ dual mukuni's..good luck getting parts for it though..mainly motor parts have to come from Australia or New Zealand. and they aint cheap

4. 808celica2damax

808celica2damax Newbie

building me a 76 Celica GT Liftback in Gardena right now with an 18RGU swap. Its being rebuilt with early cams, TRD style headers, twin 40 Mikuni side drafts velocity stack. I'm also putting in a sport clutch. I know its not a truck, but I figured I would ping in. Havent driven an 18RG. The original motor was a 20R. I had the options of forged pistons, and cam upgrade, but its pricey and i'm doing a full restoration. I'm already over $12K for engine swap, body/paint, exhaust, suspension, interior. I'll let u know how it is.

If you need parts, Toysport in Gardena can get you parts, or Wolfscreek racing has some, or even toyheadauto.com. Those are some of the places I know for parts to help you support it within the states.

5. WDE_BDY

WDE_BDY Member

Truck:
    1981 Toyota Corolla minitruck
    Had one in my Corolla ute before I went to the V8, was the last model injected motor from an RA63 Celica. Went pretty well for what it is, plenty over here in NZ have been swapped into Hilux's. Biggest issue is the age of the motors now, while good in their day there are much better options out there now especially given how hard they are to find in the US.

Callum